Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

My house burned down 3 days ago. I lost everything. Who do I go to for help? I already did the Red Cross. My dog was hurt, who can help pay vet emergency expenses?

By Jennifer from Alachua, FL

Answers:

Jennifer, I'm so sorry for what's happened! Have you spoken to your insurance agent yet? I've never been through anything like this, but I know people who have lost their homes from tornadoes, and I know they spoke with their agent ASAP. Outside of that, maybe your church (or just some local church, if you don't regularly attend) would be able to give you a hand. I hope someone has some good advice for you. I'm sending you some positive vibes. Good luck. (07/29/2010)

By mrs.story

I'm so sorry. How about contacting your local paper and asking if they would want to do a story about you and your plight? Readers can be given a way to help you. Ask a bank to set up a collection fund for you. Ask a veterinarian if they have any suggestions for help, perhaps they will even come forth to help. God Bless You. (07/30/2010)

By garnetgirl9

Contact your local county health department. There are things set in place for disasters, under the homeland security act, and each state/county is to have all sorts of emergency responses set it place. Minnesota's name is MN Responds. They all run through public health, which also include emergency planning of the city/county/state. They would have the absolute lists for you. Granted, these programs are set up for mass emergencies like tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc but they can direct you. I am part of the MN Responds.

For the dog, check your local humane societies. I don't know of what they could do, help put your dog in foster care maybe? Depends on the amount of responsibility they take on. If you surrender your pet, they would do 100% of the care--providing the health of the pet is still not in danger of illness/infection, etc. (08/03/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Hi Jennifer: So sorry to hear of your problem. Try calling the Salvation Army, they help so many people. Also your local Humane Society might be able to help with your dog. Good luck to you. (08/06/2010)

By Joankay