To Top

Finding Financial Help for a New Roof

My wife and I are 72 years old. We live on SS with no other income. Our roof is 31 years old and needs to be replaced. We cannot afford to pay for a new roof because we live month to month with what we both receive from SS to pay for all our bills. Is there somebody that could help us out?


By Bob W.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

February 22, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

Contact a church in your area. Baptist Churches have youth groups called World Changers that do this. They may also have people in the congregation who may help do it. Good Luck and God Bless.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 22, 20141 found this helpful
Best Answer

It may be worth checking to see whether there's a firm that would be interested in leasing your roof to put solar panels on it, if it is south facing. You get cheaper electricity and the firm gets the feed in tariff for whatever you don't use. The solar firm will need to put up scaffolding to install solar panels, so you can take advantage of the scaffolding for you or a friend to patch the worst leaks, and the cheaper electricity will put you in a better financial position to take out a loan for a more thorough job in a few months' time.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
February 22, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

Hello - probably most of the people reading Thrifty has some of the same problems you are having (need versus not enough money) so all anyone can do is offer places for you to ask for help.

We have no idea where you are located (what country?) but the advice may be the same. Check local churches, local charities, etc. for addresses of where to go and who to see.

Many people in Florida still have tarps on their roofs from hurricane damages that happened years ago.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 23, 20140 found this helpful

Since we don't know where you live, the best advice we can give is to contact your city chamber of commerce, senior center, or city government and see if they have some sort of program that might be able to help you. Good luck. It is hard to live on a fixed income.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 25, 20150 found this helpful

OK thank you

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 19, 20160 found this helpful

I don't know what State you live in but I live in Ga.and here we have a Community Development HUD program for senoir citizens as well as a habitat Repair program. I am 74, in 2014 HUD

replaced my roof and did other things needed in my home. So please check your State and the county you live in to see if they offer these things

as well. In my state you can also dial 211

(united-way) and get information on a lot that's offered and where to apply for them.I hope this helps.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Close up of a roof being installed
Finding Roof Repair Assistance for Seniors
Better Living Charity AdviceFebruary 20, 2014
Lots of Moss on Roof
Preventing and Removing Moss from Your Roof
Selecting a Broker or Financial Planner, Happy Couple Talking With Financial Consultant
Selecting a Broker or Financial Planner
Man power washing tile roof
Cleaning Black Streaks (Mold) on a Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/07/27 07:20:30 in 3 secs.
Loading Something Awesome!