Finding Free Furniture

If you need to furnish your home or apartment inexpensively, it doesn't get any better than finding free furniture. This is a guide about finding free furniture.

Finding Free Furniture
Filter Sort

Tip: Sign Up for Local Freecycle

By Lori M. 1 1

I sign up for the freecycle yahoo posting in our area. I received some really nice furniture this way. Also in Florida, what people don't want they put on the curb, and you are free to take it. We look at the piece to see if it is good or worth redoing.

By Lori M. from Palm Bay, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding a Free Bed

By Selma Lynn B. 1

Where can I get a bed? I am a single mother and cannot afford a bed for myself. Somebody stole my bed and I am sleeping on a cot at the moment and really need a bed. Can anyone help me with any resources?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

It would help if we knew if you were in a large city or small town. I would get on the phone and call churches and ask whoever you talk to if there is a bulletin board for their parish.I'll be some family has an extra bed and even someone would have a truck to help deliver it.Call any food bank organization because they usually have links to other sorts of help. If there is a craigslist for your area, look under free listing. There are always people giving away beds. Facebook too is a good place to put out the word. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nancy 2 2 Flag

Don't know where you live, but here in Illinois we have a site called "Freecycle". Give it a try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda Valentine - Spokane WA 5 49 Flag

If you live in a larger city where there is a Salvation Army, you can get a voucher once a year for a piece of furniture - I'm assuming a bed would be furniture, right. Doesn't hurt to try!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free or Low Cost Furniture

With limited funds, 100.00 per month, that I have left after bills are paid, how can I get a bed and furniture for a one bedroom apartment in Georgia?
    I am on SSDI and have tried the social services, but to no avail.

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Judie 16 Flag

I'd try garage sales. Usually they're just wanting to get rid of everything so you can get some great buys. I have a desk I bought for $5. Spray painted it & now it looks completely different. Also, check out your local thrift stores. Good luck to you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

By Kellie keel 1

I am a mom in need of household items, furniture, twin bed, double bed and mattress and boxspring for both, living room stuff, and kitchen stuff. I need all of it. Thank you and God bless.

By Kellie from Columbus, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By linda roberts 7 40 Flag

Go to craigslist and put in your city. and there is a free section. Check daily. Also check your thrift stores about volcher programs for needy families. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

I am a married settled lady needing help with beds for 7 boys. My husband has been out of work for 2 years. We are really in of some furniture. We do not know where to look or get help. Any suggestions?

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Earla Unangst 1 11 Flag

Try looking up a Freecycle group in your area. Go on yahoo groups & enter freecycle. I have found a lot of nice items on there. Also you can pass along things you don't want anymore. Also craigslist under free items. Some newspapers also have free items. Some things might need cleaned up but usually are decent. Check in your area for a social service who helps people in need. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Inexpensive Furniture

I need to know how to find a bed and dresser. I am on SSDI, so I cannot afford much.

By Glenda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda L. 83 330 Flag

You need to buy a new mattresss. Costco sells one of memory foam that is relatively inexpensive and very comfortable. There is an ongoing epidemic of bedbugs so it is not wise to bring in a used mattress.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Watch for Discarded Furniture

By Vivian P. 36 41

Find out when large item garbage pick-up is happening around you. In the days before that date, inspect furniture sitting at roadside. Explore the alleys and dumpsters behind places of business. Sometimes businesses discard slightly worn furniture that is still useable.

By Vivian P.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free or Inexpensive Furniture

How can I find free living room furniture? I have been on Craig's List, but it is too expensive.

By Richard

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Heather Stimmel 2 31 Flag

Word of mouth is the best place! Tell everyone you know you're looking for free, or cheap, furniture. Also... Freecycle is an awesome place to find (and get rid of!) (Free stuff) Just google Freecycle and the link should come up. Once you click on the link, it will allow you to select the state/county where you live... then, it will direct you to the group/groups nearest you.

Finally... keep your eye out for items in trash cans (on the side of the road), on other people's porches (where you're pretty certain they're just using the porch as storage), in alleyways (where some people keep their unwanted items), and... if you're not too squeamish and are good at hide-and-seek, lol, try dumpster diving. Anywhere where people live or frequent, you can find unwanted items (i.e. colleges, apt. complexes, behind stores, shops, restaurants, fix-it shops, schools, hospitals, etc.).

You'll be surprised all you can find using this method! Just, be safe... ideally, have someone with you (as a "look-out"). Use garbage bags to store your finds, and... if ever you're approached by a store manager/owner (or police officer, which is rare, unless someone calls them). Be polite and kind and comply with what they ask (i.e. if they say it's illegal, say you didn't know that.

If they instruct you not to come back to that location, I wouldn't risk it. That doesn't mean you can't do so elsewhere, and if they really press the issue, tell them you would like a copy of the law/ordinance which states you cannot dumpster dive. Often one does not exist.).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

I need free home and kitchen furniture. Please let me know the best places to look.

By Y. Murugan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ComputerScott 1 30 Flag

It's easier said than done. Try the Salvation Army.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Appliances After Kitchen Fire

By shanyia 1

My kitchen caught on fire and my insurance will not cover everything. I am a single mom. I am struggling. I don't have money to replace everything in my kitchen. My stove, microwave, and cabinets everything is destroyed! Are there places that can help me replace the basics in my house? I need a stove, how can I cook? I don't have the money to go out and get food everyday. Who could help me replace my kitchen, I dont have any money! Were can I go? I live Richmond Virginia.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Go to facebook and join if you haven't already. Search "Richmond." Find all the churches and community organization's pages and post your request on each page.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding a Cheap or Free Bed

I am 62 yrs old. I am single with no one to help me. I have heart disease as well as other medical problems. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap or free bed?

By D.M. Peterson

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Go to the office of your local Salvation Army and tell them you need a bed and they will give you a voucher to take to their Thrift Store for a free bed. That being said, if they have any beds. Also most thrift stores won't let people pick from the best choices for free items. They usually have a separate section of free stuff. Another thing most of the thrift stores require that you pick up the items yourself. Another option would be an air mattress, you can get some that are quite good for not too much, and some of them are almost as tall as a bed. Also talk to your pastor he just might know somebody that has a spare bed that they would donate and sometimes they might also take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Patricia Nicholas 13 74 Flag

Have you tried https://www.freecycle.org/ ? There is usually a local chapter within a few miles of wherever you live. Go to the national site and they will direct you to your local sites, then just ask for what you need.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

By DeeCee 1

How do I find free furniture for my apt.?

By DeeCee

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Crafty_Witch 12 36 Flag

I see that people recommended FreeCycle and Craig's list. I don't do Craig's List because it's too fast paced, things are here one second and gone the next- for me its like being on Ebay or at another online auction.

Freecycle.ORG is the best way to go, in my opinion. You have to create an account (which is FREE to do), but once you do that you can ask or give away stuff.

The basic rule to remember on Freecycle.org though is that for every ONE (1) post of an item you want (say, "office chair", for example), you have to post FIVE (5) items you are giving away. The thing is the items you are giving away don't have to be a million-dollar item, just something that you think someone might be able to use or take apart and use the pieces for something else.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free or Inexpensive Appliances

I am in need of a refrigerator, washer, and dryer. I lost just about everything and need some help. Any ideas where I can find replacements.

By Cynthia J from Wyandotte, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diane 13 62 Flag

Home depot takes trade in appliances then sells them cheap!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

I just moved in a new house and I do not have any living room furniture. Where can I find free furniture?

By Leshekia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By roberta 2 Flag

You can also try here: http://www.freecycle.org/ and find your state and city (or city closest to you) It's a group dedicated in instead of filling up landfills with stuff they don't want, they try and find it a new home. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture and Kitchen Items

I need some free stuff, including a sofa and cooker, but I don't know where to start.

By Heather

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By hannah w 7 3 Flag

You could go on bisman if you are in the Bismarck mandan area

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Furniture for a Family in Need

In July I went into the hospital, I was there for a month and while I was there I lost my house and everything that was in it. My 8 year old granddaughter stays with me. Now we have moved to an apartment. We have no beds, no couch, nothing; we are sleeping on the floor. I have gone to different organizations asking for help, but it seems like nobody wants to help. I will be able to go back to work next month. It's hard, struggling everyday, to make sure we eat. What do you suggest?

By patrica H

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dena R. 3 106 Flag

Check out freecycle.org

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Cheap or Free Furniture

By sandovalangie 1

I'm a single mother of 2. I receive disability and some government help. I have been living with my sister and I just qualified for my own apartment. I'm in need of furniture. My income source is barely enough to pay rent and expenses. I don't have enough left to buy furniture. If any one can help me find away to find some very cheap furniture it would be very much appreciated. Thank you, a family in need.

By sandovalangie from El Paso, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By AJ 7 26 Flag

Check out freecycle.org for a local group. Great group and I have helped and been helped many times by the wonderful people I have met through it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

Do you know where in the Berks county area I can find an organization that helps people out with free furniture?

By WB

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Donna 9 41 Flag

Freecycle.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding a Source for Furniture Vouchers

By jewels2 1

If anyone has any information as to where I would be able to obtain furniture vouchers, please pass along the information. My family's home was destroyed in a fire and we lost everything. We were blessed to find a new place and would appreciate your help in finding furniture vouchers. Or if you can tell me how to find couches, beds, kitchen supplies, or anything that would help, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

By jewels2 from PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Anne Guryn 2 91 Flag

The Red Cross is a source for vouchers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I looking for furniture in my area. How can I find free or inexpensive furniture? I am needing a dresser, an old TV, and stands for a split box spring for a queen and a full size mattress.

By Shanaw from Mt Airy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Nancy 6 37 Flag

Check out "Free" on Craigslist.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding a Free Dresser

By Larry 1

Where can I find a free dresser?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Jess 89 37 Flag

Craigslist is an excellent source for finding inexpensive furniture. However, they also have a "Free" section. Look in the "For Sale" area on the main page of your local Craigslist page and you will see a link to the free stuff. There are a surprising amount of valuable items you can get at no charge simply for hauling them away from the owner. If you don't find a dresser there today, check tomorrow, there are always new items being added. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

By 1mariahsdad 1

My wife and I need a bed. We are sleeping on the floor.

By 1mariahsdad

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Verity Pink 43 17 Flag

Quick PS - you could also post a "wanted" ad to your local Freecycle or Freegle.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

My two girls, boyfriend, and I moved and we don't have any furniture. We sleep on the floor and also eat on the floor. Is there any organization that could help us?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mindy 25 Flag

Hey there! Check the free section of your town's craigslist.org or freecycle. Also, check with anyone you know in your new area. Tell them you are on the lookout for furniture - a lot of people have extras they are willing to part with. You can also make requests on freecycle.org or craigslist for what you want/need. You would be surprised how many people are willing to give it for free.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

By Kelon 1

I have a 2yr old, a 3yr old, a 5yr old, and am 5 months pregnant, can't work at the moment. I found bed bugs in my beds and furniture, about a month ago. I had to throw out, two couches, my and one of my kids whole be and my other two kids' boxsprings. Because I left the plastic on their mattress, bugs didn't get them. It's very hard for me sitting and laying on the floor, I called my foodstamp worker, have gotten no reply. I don't know what to do!

By Kelon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

Fumigating may not get rid of the bed bugs unless you get it done several times. If you live in an apartment, they may find their way back through the walls from another's apartment. It also wouldn't be healthy for your small children or you, being pregnant.

Look for food grade diatomaceous earth; get a large sack, and spread it throughout your place and your belongings. Leave it for a week or so if you can, then vacuum it up. You will hear of warnings not to breathe it in, but that is for non-food grade, which is a poison (different chemical make-up). Food grade is safe and can even be eaten. It is relatively cheap - about $35.00 for a 50 pound sack - much cheaper than an exterminator, and works much better. It works for bedbugs, fleas, spiders, roaches, etc, and can be taken internally for worms, parasites, arthritis, etc.

For furniture, checkout freecycle, garage sales, a church, even a newspaper add might work. It may not be totally free, but cheap.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sources of Free Furniture

I moved into an apartment. It's low income and I get paid by the state and don't have any money to get furniture. Can anyone tell me who to contact to get help in Polk county Florida?

By Molly from Winterhaven, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

The Salvation Army is all over. It might not be in your actual town, but would be no more than 50 miles away. Go to their office and tell them what you need, and it has to be basics only, no electronic items. They will give you a voucher for the items you need and you will get them free, if they have them.

More than likely they won't let you pick from the better items that they can sell. That being said, more than likely you will need a way to transport the items yourself. The state might be paying your rent, but you must have some cash income to pay utilities, etc. You can always use an air mattress for a bed and you can get them fairly cheap. I have adult grandkids that have been doing that for years because they can't afford beds.

In the living room you can get buy with cheap folding chairs or those plastic looking outdoor chairs. For end tables in the living room those plastic storage totes can serve two purposes, they can be for storage and as end tables at the same time. You can get by without a kitchen table, you can sit on a chair and hold your plate. If you have a pastor talk to him/her, they might know some people that have some old furniture sitting around that they would be willing to donate.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free or Inexpensive Living Room Furniture

By frahm47 1

I am receiving SSDI and am in need of free or inexpensive living room furniture. If anyone knows where I can get a couch, that would be great. God bless.

By frahm47 from Aurora, CO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 34 189 Flag

Think outside the box. If you don't have anything to sit on try an inexpensive lawn chair. If you can't find a sofa at the thrift store why not a chair or recliner. When you can't afford to buy you take what's available. Try freecycle but like someone said you will have to pick it up unless you're lucky enough to find a good Samaritan.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Used Appliances

I need to find a free used small gas stove and refrigerator. I was ill and hospitalized for a week in October, 2012. My doctor put me on medical leave for three weeks after being discharged. I was off without pay, so I lost my place and all of my stuff. I am now back at work and feeling so much better. I have found a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house for my daughters, granddaughter, and I. I have an 18 year old daughter who is a senior in high school, an 8 year old daughter, and an 11 month old granddaughter. We have asked everyone. Although I have returned to work I am not able to purchase these items at this time. I had to pay past due utility bills, rent plus deposits.

By Frelicia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

Go to your social services agency. They have lists and contact people who can help immediately.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Cheap or Free Bedroom Furniture

I'm moving for the first time, and need help with getting bedroom furniture for my son and I. Where can I find cheap or free furniture? Thank you.

By Kia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dena R. 3 106 Flag

Try the website: freecycle.org. There are freecyclers all over the world who give stuff away FOR FREE, hence the name! You just post what you want and then wait for replies. You have to pick the items up yourself, and your first post has to be a giveaway, but it can be a magazine, a pair of socks, or anything useful to someone else. Great site for free furniture, clothing, groceries, and lots of other stuff.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

By Susie S. 1

Where can I find free furniture? We are struggling and have no money for new things. My old couch is years old. We are down to the metal; sitting on it is hard and hurts. May God bless as you touch our lives. Thank you so much. I will be praying for someone to help. Thanks.

By SS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Karen 12 4 Flag

I was helping a friend move, and one of the men that was also helping worked for a local furniture store. He metioned that there are people out there that change furniture quite often. A lot of this goes in the dumpster and there is nothing wrong with it. Maybe you can check with them or someone that works there, they can keep an eye out for what you need.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Donated or Cheap Furniture

Does anyone know where a nonprofit organization can go to get donated or cheap furniture to decorate an office in or near Philadelphia?

By A. Thomas

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

You can always get cheap furniture at thrift stores. Also go to Craig's list and freecycle.com. All the items might not match, but I have worked in a couple non-profit offices that had donated furniture that didn't match. One of the offices did have matched chairs in the lobby and a nice big table with matching chairs in the conference room and those items had been acquired from another office that was re-decorating.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

I am trying to find charities to help me get a bed, freezer, dressing table, and TV unit. I am on benefits and lost my home and everything in it. I just moved to a new property. I need help. Does anyone know where I can get help?

By Jacqueline

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By P.Rosendahl 1 17 Flag

Look on Craigslist. There is an area called "free" and very often, daily (at least in Tampa FL) there are new listings of free furniture offered. Don't be bashful in mentioning this need to others. Friends of friends often would like to donate something to someone in need.

redbeard

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

By c_bear1985 1

I'm a single mother. My daughter and I are moving. We need a couch, dining table, and dressers. Are there any places near me that help low income families with getting furniture for free?

By c_bear1985

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

You didn't say where you are. But, look on Craigslist in the free section, or your local freecycle.com site. Good luck. As for the question of didn't you have them before... some single moms' have to flee to be safe. Sometimes you sell what you had to move on then hope you can replace it, or sometimes you have so much time in between residences that storing isn't an option.

I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Beds

I'm a single parent with 2 beautiful girls, ages 16 and 12. I'm in dire need of 2 twin beds. Where can I get them?

By Brenda J.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Charlene B. 5 Flag

Try some of these links for Freecycle

http://freecycle.com/

You can probably find some free beds before the day is over! Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Furniture

By serna379 1

We live in a low income 2BR apartment. My girls don't have beds and we all sleep in my king bed now. Rikki 9 and Adeana 6 are getting too big and we barely fit. It's also me and Zara 3. We need a couch and love seat. I support all of us with my disability check. I can't work; that goes to bills, electricity, clothes, and shoes. I don't know where to go for help.

By sarah

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By nancy 1 3 Flag

Please go to ..http://www.freecycle.org/ put in your city and state and see if there is a group near you. You can post a wanted for the things that you need. And to redhatterb..everyone has the right to want furniture. If you want to live in a bare room that is your choice but do not judge people. Good luck to you and your children.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture

By jimmyvaughan13 1

I'm looking for a nice clean used mattress and box springs. I just moved into an apartment and the person that was giving me a queen mattress and springs decided to keep it so I am looking. I also need a loveseat. My apartment is not that big, plus it's just me. If you can help me, with ideas of where to find these items, I would deeply appreciated it and God bless you. I'm in Latonia, Kentucky, 3 miles from Cincinnati, Ohio. Thank you.

By Jimmy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jean L. 21 Flag

Try looking on Freecycle.org, a site which gives away things in an effort to keep them out of landfills. Satisfy the joining requirement, and then you can ask for and get almost anything including furniture.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Inexpensive or Free Furniture

I need to find a couch, chair, kitchen table with 4 chairs, TV stand, TV, microwave, coffee table, end tables, computer desk, dishes, actually just about everything. Any suggestions?

By Jean

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mindy 25 Flag

Consider two sources: freecycle for your area - go to freecycle.com and register--you will receive emails of free items that people in your area are giving away, and the free section of craigslist.org. You will want to check this regularly, as people jump on the free items pretty quickly.

There is a lot of stuff to wade through, but I've seen some nice quality items given away, as well. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ideas for Finding Free Furniture

Where can I find a source for free furniture, carpet, ie. beds, a washing machine, fridge, freezer, wardrobe, sofa or chair, etc. Thank you.

By Shane

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Veronica 10 114 Flag

You might try Freecycle - http://www.freecycle.org/. I don't know too much about it, but i know people list stuff that they want to give away for free. Also, check curbs after yard sales (1 or 2 in the afternoon.) A lot of people put stuff on the curb with FREE signs on them rather than bothering to cart them back into the house. Call local churches - they would know of any charities that give away free furniture to people in need. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture in Australia

By kiren abbott 1

Where can I find free furniture?

By Kiren from Brisbane

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lili 4 2 Flag

Try freecycle.org. I use it all the time. They have groups all over Australia.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Furniture and Clothing

By Crystal H. 1

I am a single mother of 5 and I have sickle cell anemia. I get sick a lot and need help getting my kids furniture, food, and and clothes. I can't work. Does anyone know where I can get help?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Where do you live, Crystal?

First, go to your local Social Services. You're probably using some of their services now, but you might not be aware of all they have to offer.

For instance, where I live, they have a Christmas toy drive every year and also a back to school supplies drive every year. We have a food pantry. So be sure they tell you where all the community resources are.

Next, local churches are a good place to help. One church in my area gives away food boxes. There is a free clothing giveaway run by another local church.

Third: Social Media. I'm on my local Community Page on facebook. Often when people need help because of a house fire or other unfortunate circumstance others in the community are very willing to help.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help Finding Gas Range

By Jeanette G. 1

I have been trying to find a gas range, so I may cut back on my electric. I can't afford the high price to purchase a new stove and the used prices aren't very good either. I am on a limited income from SSI, and bills keep coming.

Christmas is very slim in my hose this year, because I am still trying to replace things from my house fire last year. I have no children and need only one thing this Christmas and that is a gas range. Can anyone help?

By Jeanette G.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

Have you tried St. Vincent DePaul charities. they usually have appliances available for a very small amount.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I am a single parent on disability with two kids. I need help with beds and livingroom furniture. I can not walk; how do I get help?

By Patricia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

If you are on disability I bet you are on food stamps and maybe even housing assistance. Which means you should have a small amount of cash to go to thrift stores and yard sales looking for cheap furniture. Also if your disability is physical, you would have a hard time moving the items because most of the places that sell cheap furniture and give it away expect the person receiving it to transport it themselves.

Go to the office of your nearest Salvation Army and tell them what you need and they will give you a voucher to take to their Thrift Store and if they have the items on the list they will give them to you, but be prepared to transport and unload it when you get home. Most places also won't let you pick from the best, they save that to sell, but even then you have to transport it. There is also Craigslist and freecycle.org.

Also talk to your pastor, they might know of some people that have things they want to get rid of. As far as beds go, you can use inexpensive air mattresses. I have two adult grandchildren that are doing that, and one grandaughter who uses a futon at night and in the daytime it is a couch. In the living room you can get buy with your kitchen chairs. For tables in the living room you can use those storage totes, and then you have tables and storage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help Getting a Free Mattress

By Tamara Null 1

Does anyone know of a grant program or charity or something like that that could help me get a good mattress for my bad back and neck? I currently have no income. I have filed for disability, but I am awaiting the appeal process. I need one of those good mattresses that will help my neck and back.

By Tamara from Arlington, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

I don't know of anyplace that will give you a new "good" mattress. As far as I know there isn't any mattress that will completely help neck and back problems. In fact I haven't even seen any advertisements that sound like that. Most people with back and neck problems have to learn to live with them, or else take pain medications. My spine is full of arthritis and I also have diabetic neuropothy. I told my doctor that I prefer to get by without pain medication as long as I could and she agreed with me because of all the other medications I am on. I taught myself self-hypnosis and that works real well a lot of the time. I tried to get disability and was denied, then went through the appeals process and was still denied. They have a tendency to bring in an expert that will say that there are so many jobs that you should be able to handle within say something like a five state area around where you live, and basically you will be expected to apply for them or stay where you are. No matter what you would decide to do you can still be denied disability. If you don't have any mattress go to your local Salvation Army Office and tell them you need a mattress and they will give you a voucher to take to their thrift store for a mattress and if the store has any mattresses you will get one free, but don't expect it to be some high end thing, like you sound like you want. More than likely you will be expected to transport yourself too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding a Free Bed

I am a 52 year old veteran and a mother of four children. On May.17,2013 I was walking in the cross walk going home when a red pick up truck ran over me and kept going.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More
          Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenNovember 25, 2011
          ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
          Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
          Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
          Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
          Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
          Hands polishing a wood table
          Cleaning Wood Furniture
          Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
          Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 9:06:16 AM on 10.0.1.30 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
          NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
          Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
          BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
          CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings