Finding Free Furniture

If you need to furnish your home or apartment inexpensively, it doesn't get any better than finding free furniture. This is a guide about finding free furniture.

December 4, 2011 Flag

I sign up for the freecycle yahoo posting in our area. I received some really nice furniture this way. Also in Florida, what people don't want they put on the curb, and you are free to take it. We look at the piece to see if it is good or worth redoing.

By Lori M. from Palm Bay, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

December 6, 2011 Flag

Find out when large item garbage pick-up is happening around you. In the days before that date, inspect furniture sitting at roadside. Explore the alleys and dumpsters behind places of business. Sometimes businesses discard slightly worn furniture that is still useable.

By Vivian P.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

December 20, 2011 Flag

When I need something I ask my friends to "ask around" for me. Most of the time someone has the item and they simply want to get it "out of the way". When I wanted a full size bed to put in the basement for the nights that Tornado warnings are out, I did exactly that. And sure enough someone had a nice bed to give away. Works for me!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

December 4, 2015 Flag

Where can I get a bed? I am a single mother and cannot afford a bed for myself. Somebody stole my bed and I am sleeping on a cot at the moment and really need a bed. Can anyone help me with any resources?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you live in a larger city where there is a Salvation Army, you can get a voucher once a year for a piece of furniture - I'm assuming a bed would be furniture, right. Doesn't hurt to try!

October 19, 2015 Flag

Where can I find a free dresser?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Craigslist is an excellent source for finding inexpensive furniture. However, they also have a "Free" section. Look in the "For Sale" area on the main page of your local Craigslist page and you will see a link to the free stuff. There are a surprising amount of valuable items you can get at no charge simply for hauling them away from the owner. If you don't find a dresser there today, check tomorrow, there are always new items being added. Good luck!

February 16, 2014 Flag

I am 62 yrs old. I am single with no one to help me. I have heart disease as well as other medical problems. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap or free bed?

By D.M. Peterson

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Go to the office of your local Salvation Army and tell them you need a bed and they will give you a voucher to take to their Thrift Store for a free bed. That being said, if they have any beds. Also most thrift stores won't let people pick from the best choices for free items. They usually have a separate section of free stuff. Another thing most of the thrift stores require that you pick up the items yourself. Another option would be an air mattress, you can get some that are quite good for not too much, and some of them are almost as tall as a bed. Also talk to your pastor he just might know somebody that has a spare bed that they would donate and sometimes they might also take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

June 14, 2016 Flag

I'm getting ready to move in my new place I don't have a living room set or kitchen set or anything to make my apartment a home. I'm a single mother already struggling to make sure I have enough to move. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello my name is Selkeena Dashiell and I'm a single mom with low income I just moved into my apartment and I cannot afford to buy bunk beds for my two kids or buy furniture for my living room for me to sleep on so I'm trying to get help to help me financially please I have no one to help me to finish my place to make it comfortable for my two kids so if you can help me I would deeply appreciate it sincerely Selkeena Dashiell

October 30, 2016 Flag

Hello I'm here in Tulsa OK and I need help.i just had a baby girl she's still in the hospital at the moment but will be home soon, I just moved into a new apartment and i need help with furniture for my daughter and I please help me

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do NOT try Craigslist. There are many scams and it can be dangerous for a woman.

Instead, try:

Freecycle Tulsa: https://groups.  ecycle/posts/all

Barter and sell facebook group in Tulsa: https://www.fac  296644033865638/

Tulsa swap facebook group: https://www.fac  379892128781471/

Tulsa Mommies pay it forward Facebook page: https://www.fac  416382112018762/

April 22, 2016 Flag

I'm in need of a full size bed. Any suggestions for where to look?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Free basic furniture is usually difficult to find as most people need furniture to use or store gear. Most thrift stores sell beds, dressers and chests of drawers as soon as they receive them and prices can vary depending upon the location. You can try Craig's List, EBay and other online resources as well as garage sales and church rummage sales for used furniture.

May 9, 2013 Flag

With limited funds, 100.00 per month, that I have left after bills are paid, how can I get a bed and furniture for a one bedroom apartment in Georgia?
I am on SSDI and have tried the social services, but to no avail.

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check to see if there is a local FreeCycle group in your area. You can do this by searching "freecycle in _____". If there's nothing listed that you need and/or are interested in, you can do a ISO/Wanted (In Search Of). Around here, folks are always giving away things they no longer need/want and just want gone.

Craigslist is also a place to try, it's mostly For Sale or Looking to Buy but there are some freebies on there too. And if it's a For Sale, you might be able to bargain/haggle with the seller. You can also check for a "Yard Sellers" on-line group. Another option would be check local thrift stores, especially privately owned ones, they'll often work with you (my dtr's best friend owns one and she's been known to work out something with folks).

January 13, 2013 Flag

I am a married settled lady needing help with beds for 7 boys. My husband has been out of work for 2 years. We are really in of some furniture. We do not know where to look or get help. Any suggestions?

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try looking up a Freecycle group in your area. Go on yahoo groups & enter freecycle. I have found a lot of nice items on there. Also you can pass along things you don't want anymore. Also craigslist under free items. Some newspapers also have free items. Some things might need cleaned up but usually are decent. Check in your area for a social service who helps people in need. Good luck.

August 11, 2016 Flag

I'm on low income and live in subsidy housing. I need a couch; where would I go about getting one?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check Craig's list in your locality under "free" stuff. If you don't have someone to pick it up for you, you might be able to get the person to deliver it to you for a very small fee. When I was moving, I gave away many things for free on Craig's list.

January 9, 2014 Flag

I moved into an apartment. It's low income and I get paid by the state and don't have any money to get furniture. Can anyone tell me who to contact to get help in Polk county Florida?

By Molly from Winterhaven, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The Salvation Army is all over. It might not be in your actual town, but would be no more than 50 miles away. Go to their office and tell them what you need, and it has to be basics only, no electronic items. They will give you a voucher for the items you need and you will get them free, if they have them.

More than likely they won't let you pick from the better items that they can sell. That being said, more than likely you will need a way to transport the items yourself. The state might be paying your rent, but you must have some cash income to pay utilities, etc. You can always use an air mattress for a bed and you can get them fairly cheap. I have adult grandkids that have been doing that for years because they can't afford beds.

In the living room you can get buy with cheap folding chairs or those plastic looking outdoor chairs. For end tables in the living room those plastic storage totes can serve two purposes, they can be for storage and as end tables at the same time. You can get by without a kitchen table, you can sit on a chair and hold your plate. If you have a pastor talk to him/her, they might know some people that have some old furniture sitting around that they would be willing to donate.

November 22, 2015 Flag

My kitchen caught on fire and my insurance will not cover everything. I am a single mom. I am struggling. I don't have money to replace everything in my kitchen. My stove, microwave, and cabinets everything is destroyed! Are there places that can help me replace the basics in my house? I need a stove, how can I cook? I don't have the money to go out and get food everyday. Who could help me replace my kitchen, I dont have any money! Were can I go? I live Richmond Virginia.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There's a program called caritas ggoggle them and they should be able to help you

March 4, 2016 Flag

I need furniture, mainly a couch! Where can I find free furniture?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Free furniture is very difficult to find and most furniture that is donated to thrift stores and charities is given to indigent individuals and families. However, you can try Craig's List, The Freecycle Network (site address below), local charities, etc., for free furniture.

https://www.freecycle.org/

February 18, 2016 Flag

I'm trying to get free mattresses, two king size and two twin size. I just moved in and I'm sleeping on the floor every night. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Where in the world are you? Facebook groups have alot of free items! In the UK sites like gumtree, preloved and free cycle!

November 4, 2016 Flag

Where in Colorado Springs can I get a free bed?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2013 Flag

How do I find free furniture for my apt.?

By DeeCee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I see that people recommended FreeCycle and Craig's list. I don't do Craig's List because it's too fast paced, things are here one second and gone the next- for me its like being on Ebay or at another online auction.

Freecycle.ORG is the best way to go, in my opinion. You have to create an account (which is FREE to do), but once you do that you can ask or give away stuff.

The basic rule to remember on Freecycle.org though is that for every ONE (1) post of an item you want (say, "office chair", for example), you have to post FIVE (5) items you are giving away. The thing is the items you are giving away don't have to be a million-dollar item, just something that you think someone might be able to use or take apart and use the pieces for something else.

Good luck!

May 17, 2016 Flag

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a foldout bed? I live with someone, just moved back home from Ohio. My daughter and I lost everything.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1. Craigslist, but be careful- there are some dangerous people. Bring a male neighbor with you.

2. Facebook community page or buy and sell page in your area. You'll have to join the page. Update your location on your profile so they let you join.

September 23, 2013 Flag

In July I went into the hospital, I was there for a month and while I was there I lost my house and everything that was in it. My 8 year old granddaughter stays with me. Now we have moved to an apartment. We have no beds, no couch, nothing; we are sleeping on the floor. I have gone to different organizations asking for help, but it seems like nobody wants to help. I will be able to go back to work next month. It's hard, struggling everyday, to make sure we eat. What do you suggest?

By patrica H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might get more help if you tell us the city and state you live in. Hang in there.

February 12, 2014 Flag

Does anyone know where a nonprofit organization can go to get donated or cheap furniture to decorate an office in or near Philadelphia?

By A. Thomas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can always get cheap furniture at thrift stores. Also go to Craig's list and freecycle.com. All the items might not match, but I have worked in a couple non-profit offices that had donated furniture that didn't match. One of the offices did have matched chairs in the lobby and a nice big table with matching chairs in the conference room and those items had been acquired from another office that was re-decorating.

Load More
Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenNovember 25, 2011
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 8:24:57 AM on 10.0.1.190 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.