Finding Free Furniture

If you need to furnish your home or apartment inexpensively, it doesn't get any better than finding free furniture. This is a guide about finding free furniture.

Finding Free Furniture
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Where can I get a bed? I am a single mother and cannot afford a bed for myself. Somebody stole my bed and I am sleeping on a cot at the moment and really need a bed. Can anyone help me with any resources?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

It would help if we knew if you were in a large city or small town. I would get on the phone and call churches and ask whoever you talk to if there is a bulletin board for their parish.I'll be some family has an extra bed and even someone would have a truck to help deliver it.Call any food bank organization because they usually have links to other sorts of help. If there is a craigslist for your area, look under free listing. There are always people giving away beds. Facebook too is a good place to put out the word. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Don't know where you live, but here in Illinois we have a site called "Freecycle". Give it a try.

Best Answer

If you live in a larger city where there is a Salvation Army, you can get a voucher once a year for a piece of furniture - I'm assuming a bed would be furniture, right. Doesn't hurt to try!

Read More Answers...

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a foldout bed? I live with someone, just moved back home from Ohio. My daughter and I lost everything.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1. Craigslist, but be careful- there are some dangerous people. Bring a male neighbor with you.

2. Facebook community page or buy and sell page in your area. You'll have to join the page. Update your location on your profile so they let you join.

I'm in need of a full size bed. Any suggestions for where to look?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could try posters in places like local thrift shops, churches, perhaps grocery stores -- places where local events are advertised. In our small town there are many of these places. Sometimes people have extra beds that they really don't know what to do with, as many second hand stores won't take them! Look for Freecycle sites in your area as well.

Read More Answers...

Where can I find a free dresser?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
          Best Answer

Craigslist is an excellent source for finding inexpensive furniture. However, they also have a "Free" section. Look in the "For Sale" area on the main page of your local Craigslist page and you will see a link to the free stuff. There are a surprising amount of valuable items you can get at no charge simply for hauling them away from the owner. If you don't find a dresser there today, check tomorrow, there are always new items being added. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

Where can I find organizations that will help donate furniture to this family? They are in desperate need of everything. It is a lady and her 3 daughters. They have became homeless because of an abusive man. Please help. God will bless you more than you know. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Free basic furniture is usually difficult to find as most people need places to store their gear. Most thrift stores sell dressers and chests of drawers as soon as they receive them and prices can vary depending upon the location. You can also try Craig's List, EBay and other online resources as well as garage sales and church rummage sales for used furniture.

I need furniture, mainly a couch! Where can I find free furniture?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest using Free Cycle's web site. People post many things they don't need for free. Also, go to a Salvation Army store near you they have cheap sofas you could buy.

Read More Answers...

I am 62 yrs old. I am single with no one to help me. I have heart disease as well as other medical problems. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap or free bed?

By D.M. Peterson

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Best Answer

Go to the office of your local Salvation Army and tell them you need a bed and they will give you a voucher to take to their Thrift Store for a free bed. That being said, if they have any beds. Also most thrift stores won't let people pick from the best choices for free items. They usually have a separate section of free stuff. Another thing most of the thrift stores require that you pick up the items yourself. Another option would be an air mattress, you can get some that are quite good for not too much, and some of them are almost as tall as a bed. Also talk to your pastor he just might know somebody that has a spare bed that they would donate and sometimes they might also take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

Best Answer

Have you tried https://www.freecycle.org/ ? There is usually a local chapter within a few miles of wherever you live. Go to the national site and they will direct you to your local sites, then just ask for what you need.

Read More Answers...

I sign up for the freecycle yahoo posting in our area. I received some really nice furniture this way. Also in Florida, what people don't want they put on the curb, and you are free to take it. We look at the piece to see if it is good or worth redoing.

By Lori M. from Palm Bay, FL

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm trying to get free mattresses, two king size and two twin size. I just moved in and I'm sleeping on the floor every night. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try going to a store that sells new mattresses. They often give away "trade ins". Tell them your story so they dont think they are losing a potential customer.

Read More Answers...

With limited funds, 100.00 per month, that I have left after bills are paid, how can I get a bed and furniture for a one bedroom apartment in Georgia?
                I am on SSDI and have tried the social services, but to no avail.

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd try garage sales. Usually they're just wanting to get rid of everything so you can get some great buys. I have a desk I bought for $5. Spray painted it & now it looks completely different. Also, check out your local thrift stores. Good luck to you!

Read More Answers...

I am a married settled lady needing help with beds for 7 boys. My husband has been out of work for 2 years. We are really in of some furniture. We do not know where to look or get help. Any suggestions?

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try looking up a Freecycle group in your area. Go on yahoo groups & enter freecycle. I have found a lot of nice items on there. Also you can pass along things you don't want anymore. Also craigslist under free items. Some newspapers also have free items. Some things might need cleaned up but usually are decent. Check in your area for a social service who helps people in need. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

I moved into an apartment. It's low income and I get paid by the state and don't have any money to get furniture. Can anyone tell me who to contact to get help in Polk county Florida?

By Molly from Winterhaven, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Best Answer

The Salvation Army is all over. It might not be in your actual town, but would be no more than 50 miles away. Go to their office and tell them what you need, and it has to be basics only, no electronic items. They will give you a voucher for the items you need and you will get them free, if they have them.

More than likely they won't let you pick from the better items that they can sell. That being said, more than likely you will need a way to transport the items yourself. The state might be paying your rent, but you must have some cash income to pay utilities, etc. You can always use an air mattress for a bed and you can get them fairly cheap. I have adult grandkids that have been doing that for years because they can't afford beds.

In the living room you can get buy with cheap folding chairs or those plastic looking outdoor chairs. For end tables in the living room those plastic storage totes can serve two purposes, they can be for storage and as end tables at the same time. You can get by without a kitchen table, you can sit on a chair and hold your plate. If you have a pastor talk to him/her, they might know some people that have some old furniture sitting around that they would be willing to donate.

Read More Answers...

Find out when large item garbage pick-up is happening around you. In the days before that date, inspect furniture sitting at roadside. Explore the alleys and dumpsters behind places of business. Sometimes businesses discard slightly worn furniture that is still useable.

By Vivian P.

My kitchen caught on fire and my insurance will not cover everything. I am a single mom. I am struggling. I don't have money to replace everything in my kitchen. My stove, microwave, and cabinets everything is destroyed! Are there places that can help me replace the basics in my house? I need a stove, how can I cook? I don't have the money to go out and get food everyday. Who could help me replace my kitchen, I dont have any money! Were can I go? I live Richmond Virginia.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to facebook and join if you haven't already. Search "Richmond." Find all the churches and community organization's pages and post your request on each page.

How do I find free furniture for my apt.?

By DeeCee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I see that people recommended FreeCycle and Craig's list. I don't do Craig's List because it's too fast paced, things are here one second and gone the next- for me its like being on Ebay or at another online auction.

Freecycle.ORG is the best way to go, in my opinion. You have to create an account (which is FREE to do), but once you do that you can ask or give away stuff.

The basic rule to remember on Freecycle.org though is that for every ONE (1) post of an item you want (say, "office chair", for example), you have to post FIVE (5) items you are giving away. The thing is the items you are giving away don't have to be a million-dollar item, just something that you think someone might be able to use or take apart and use the pieces for something else.

Good luck!

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know where a nonprofit organization can go to get donated or cheap furniture to decorate an office in or near Philadelphia?

By A. Thomas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Best Answer

You can always get cheap furniture at thrift stores. Also go to Craig's list and freecycle.com. All the items might not match, but I have worked in a couple non-profit offices that had donated furniture that didn't match. One of the offices did have matched chairs in the lobby and a nice big table with matching chairs in the conference room and those items had been acquired from another office that was re-decorating.

In July I went into the hospital, I was there for a month and while I was there I lost my house and everything that was in it. My 8 year old granddaughter stays with me. Now we have moved to an apartment. We have no beds, no couch, nothing; we are sleeping on the floor.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Load More
                  Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenNovember 25, 2011
                  Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
                  Young woman using computer
                  Finding Free WiFi Connections
                  Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
                  Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
                  Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
                  Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
                  © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 4:03:30 PM on 10.0.2.112 in 454 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.