Browsing: Finding Free Furniture

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding Free Furniture

If you need to furnish your home or apartment inexpensively, it doesn't get any better than finding free furniture. This is a guide about finding free furniture.

Finding Free Furniture
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 4, 2015 Flag

Where can I get a bed? I am a single mother and cannot afford a bed for myself. Somebody stole my bed and I am sleeping on a cot at the moment and really need a bed. Can anyone help me with any resources?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you live in a larger city where there is a Salvation Army, you can get a voucher once a year for a piece of furniture - I'm assuming a bed would be furniture, right. Doesn't hurt to try!

Hi.I need bed I just move to Sacramento. And my kids and I .we sleep on the floor ...and I don't have money to buy beds I have 4kids amd me can u plz help me

December 4, 2011 Flag

I sign up for the freecycle yahoo posting in our area. I received some really nice furniture this way. Also in Florida, what people don't want they put on the curb, and you are free to take it. We look at the piece to see if it is good or worth redoing.

By Lori M. from Palm Bay, FL

October 19, 2015 Flag

Where can I find a free dresser?

Best Answer

Craigslist is an excellent source for finding inexpensive furniture. However, they also have a "Free" section. Look in the "For Sale" area on the main page of your local Craigslist page and you will see a link to the free stuff. There are a surprising amount of valuable items you can get at no charge simply for hauling them away from the owner. If you don't find a dresser there today, check tomorrow, there are always new items being added. Good luck!

I've tried that as well

June 14, 2016 Flag

I'm getting ready to move in my new place I don't have a living room set or kitchen set or anything to make my apartment a home. I'm a single mother already struggling to make sure I have enough to move. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thank you.

In need of living room furniture.

Hello my name is Selkeena Dashiell and I'm a single mom with low income I just moved into my apartment and I cannot afford to buy bunk beds for my two kids or buy furniture for my living room for me to sleep on so I'm trying to get help to help me financially please I have no one to help me to finish my place to make it comfortable for my two kids so if you can help me I would deeply appreciate it sincerely Selkeena Dashiell

December 6, 2011 Flag

Find out when large item garbage pick-up is happening around you. In the days before that date, inspect furniture sitting at roadside. Explore the alleys and dumpsters behind places of business. Sometimes businesses discard slightly worn furniture that is still useable.

By Vivian P.

February 16, 2014 Flag

I am 62 yrs old. I am single with no one to help me. I have heart disease as well as other medical problems. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap or free bed?

By D.M. Peterson

Best Answer

Have you tried https://www.freecycle.org/ ? There is usually a local chapter within a few miles of wherever you live. Go to the national site and they will direct you to your local sites, then just ask for what you need.

You can also call your local DHS office and ask if you qualify for a voucher or some assistance to help get a bed.

August 11, 2016 Flag

I'm on low income and live in subsidy housing. I need a couch; where would I go about getting one?

Check Craig's list in your locality under "free" stuff. If you don't have someone to pick it up for you, you might be able to get the person to deliver it to you for a very small fee. When I was moving, I gave away many things for free on Craig's list.

April 22, 2016 Flag

I'm in need of a full size bed. Any suggestions for where to look?

Free basic furniture is usually difficult to find as most people need furniture to use or store gear. Most thrift stores sell beds, dressers and chests of drawers as soon as they receive them and prices can vary depending upon the location. You can try Craig's List, EBay and other online resources as well as garage sales and church rummage sales for used furniture.

You could try posters in places like local thrift shops, churches, perhaps grocery stores -- places where local events are advertised. In our small town there are many of these places. Sometimes people have extra beds that they really don't know what to do with, as many second hand stores won't take them! Look for Freecycle sites in your area as well.

May 9, 2013 Flag

With limited funds, 100.00 per month, that I have left after bills are paid, how can I get a bed and furniture for a one bedroom apartment in Georgia?
I am on SSDI and have tried the social services, but to no avail.

By Marie

Check to see if there is a local FreeCycle group in your area. You can do this by searching "freecycle in _____". If there's nothing listed that you need and/or are interested in, you can do a ISO/Wanted (In Search Of). Around here, folks are always giving away things they no longer need/want and just want gone.

Craigslist is also a place to try, it's mostly For Sale or Looking to Buy but there are some freebies on there too. And if it's a For Sale, you might be able to bargain/haggle with the seller. You can also check for a "Yard Sellers" on-line group. Another option would be check local thrift stores, especially privately owned ones, they'll often work with you (my dtr's best friend owns one and she's been known to work out something with folks).

I'd try garage sales. Usually they're just wanting to get rid of everything so you can get some great buys. I have a desk I bought for $5. Spray painted it & now it looks completely different. Also, check out your local thrift stores. Good luck to you!

Load More
Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenNovember 25, 2011
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 4:07:39 AM on 10.0.1.252 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.