Finding Healthy Recipes

There are many sources for healthy recipes that limit fats, salt, sugar, and other generally unhealthy ingredients. This is a guide about finding healthy recipes.

November 3, 2016 Flag

If you Google "SNAP recipes" or "WIC recipes" you will get many sources of delicious recipes with high nutritional value, and all of them are inexpensive. SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps) and WIC is the Women Infant and Children under 5 program. Both are government programs that have guidelines on what foods are acceptable to be eligible. Some items are whole grain breads, peanut butter, milk, eggs and chicken. You will not see soda pop or chips on the list of allowed foods!

You do not have to participate in these programs to get access to the recipes. They are for the taking on the website. I took a couple of screenshots to show examples. I have tried some recipes, and have been very pleased. These programs use foods in season, and there is a great variety of menus.

May 29, 2010 Flag

Please let me know some easy breakfast recipes that are good for my husband. Usually I give him toasted bread either with margarine (low fat) or jam alone, with a banana, but now he hates those. Also, I don't like to serve him too much oily or sweet things as he is sick with diabetes and high cholesterol.
All of your answers are most welcome.

By butterfly20 from BH

Best Answer

Have you tried a flour tortilla filled with scrambled egg beaters and maybe some turkey bacon, or real bacon bits ( from a jar), maybe some fat free cheese sprinkled in. You could also add salsa, if you like. Just toast in a skillet with some non- stick spray, or microwave, once filled. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I always keep sauteed veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. sauteed in olive or canola oil) in the fridge, along with egg substitute. My diabetic husband (who also has heart disease, kidney disease & high cholesterol) loves omeletes made with the egg substitute, some of the sauteed veggies & low-fat cheese. Tasty and also very filling, with or without bread.

Another of his favorities is like an "Egg McMuffin" thingy. I toast a muffin, microwave one egg, add a piece of low-fat cheese and/or a slice of Canadian bacon & make a sandwich on the muffin.

Mrs. Butterworth's makes a great tasting sugar fee maple syrup, which he can use on pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc.

Hang in there. It's tough, I know. Good luck.

Best Answer

He may be what the last person said, but high cholesterol is usually about carbs, too many of them. Especially triglycerides. Glucose & triglicerides get raised from too many carbs, this causes too much insulin to b produced & the glucose gets converted to triglycerides, when the insulin cannot store the glucose. This is insulin resistance. Triglycerides are less harmful in the blood than glucose, so the body does what it can to alleviate the problem.

The thing that happens with long term insulin resistance, is that the storage procedure gets skewed, then the triglycerides are elevated in the blood, this means aalot of really bad things for the person who has problems with this. I'm not saying the triglycerides are bad in & of themselves, but it's an indication that things are not right inside, where all biological activity takes place.

By the way, fat does not raise cholesterol, contrary to pop belief. Stick to high protein & high fat: eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, a good steak, with low glycemic vegetables. Stay away from fruit & don't eat carbs by themselves, this raises glucose levels, too. These things will lower insulin levels, lower triglycerides & makes the body & brain happy.

I have type 2 diabetes as a result of SLE. I also have many people in my family who are dead or not in good health from diabetes, so I know something about it.

I take herbs & DMAE for lowering glucose & they work well, along w/lowered carbs. Fat is not the villain here. Try google & research these issues, it's not only about the diabetes or heart disease. Diabetes is a problem with a major hormone center that is not working up to par. This effects many things & processes. Everyone throws around terms like diabetes & very few people & Dr.'s included, ever wonder why this came to pass, cause serious conditions of the body do not come about overnight, ever!

Best Answer

Being a diabetic, I'm not sure if he can eat honey. I heard that honey and cinnamon together are very good for you. So, about 3 times a week, I eat a toasted english muffin with small amount of honey and sprinkled with cinnamon (yummy) along with eggbeaters, banana and half a glass of orange juice. Very filling for me and seems to keep me thin and healthy!

Best Answer

February 6, 2010 Flag

I am looking for low salt and low sugar recipes.

By Nene from Jonesville

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This is one of my favorite soup recipes; no meat, and no salt! Still very yummy & hearty. My dad is a salt-a-holic and not only didn't he add salt, but he went back for seconds! The recipe is very forgiving. I've used reduced fat/sodium chicken broth, dried black beans (that I soaked overnight), extra carrots for my carrot-loving daughter, fresh tomatoes and peppers from the garden. It has always turned out great. When serving, I offer reduced fat cheese and reduced fat sour cream, lime wedges for squeezing over the individual bowls (YUM!), and chopped avocados if I have them.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-Vegetable-Soup/Detail.aspx

I hope you try it, and I hope you love it!

Best Answer

March 3, I posted a recipe you might want to look at. It's called Low Carb Sugar Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake. There is some sugar in the whey protein, otherwise it's sugar free/low carb. You could leave out the salt.

An excellent book to buy on Ebay is Dana Carpender's "500 Low Carb Recipes." My husband was diagnosed with

Type II Diabetes about 5 years ago. I have done a lot of reading and trying recipes. Yes, it is a challenge. I use Stevia most of the time to sweeten. I buy the KAL Pure Stevia Extract, 905 servings, from my local

Health Food Store for under $15. Lasts for months.

Sharon of Lima, OH

July 20, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have some low fat recipes to share?

By Rosalie

Best Answer

Check out the Eating Well website, I have had success with their recipes. You can sign up for newletters and they will email you recipes, it's kind of fun to get new ideas delivered to your inbox.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus

July 20, 2010 Flag

Would like some low-fat recipe ideas that don't include mushrooms or fish. I am trying to lose weight and need healthy food ideas.

February 6, 2010 Flag

I need help finding low sodium and low sugar recipes for everything. Talk about hard to find.

Kathy from Kansas City, MO

Answers:

Low Salt and Low Sugar Recipes

recipezaar.com

You can find any recipes that you want for using the search box on the website. (04/23/2008)

By MCW

Low Salt and Low Sugar Recipes

When my husband was told to restrict salt, we just stopped using salt at the table and I stopped using it in cooking. It took almost three weeks for us to get used to it, but we got to like it that way. That was almost 20 years ago and today I can't eat a potato chip without gagging.

As for sugar the same is true. There are substitutes out there, but just not using them is better. If you need sweets try Splenda, but use half the amount and never in hot things. Any recipe you have can be adapted. Just keep trying. (04/23/2008)

By Edith

Low Salt and Low Sugar Recipes

We will start with low salt first. Just eliminate like the others have said. You can go a step further and buy no salt canned goods as well.

So what you are looking for is low sugar recipes and you just minus out the salt. Here is a great treat to make for yourself.

Whip it all up in the blender and you have a fab fruit smoothy. You could add a drop of vanilla or coconut extract for an exotic taste of the islands.

It breaks down to having:

2 oz of protein
1/2 cup fruit carb

that about covers it.

Enjoy.

(04/23/2008)

By caraing

January 25, 2009 Flag

I need low-fat (or no fat) recipes for person with pancreatic cancer. I am looking for home cooking recipes.

Thanks.

M.B.

Answers:

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

Dr. Dean Ornish has published very good no-fat cookbooks. These books have been very popular, so, I think you may find them at your local library. Best Wishes.(09/02/2004)

By Jonid

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

Pineapple Dessert

Mix a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple with the dry ingredients of a one step angel food cake mix.
Put in 9 X 13 pan, sprayed with non stick spray and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degree.
This is also a very good diabetic dessert, actually good for anyone. I serve with fat free whipped topping or sometimes ice cream. (06/09/2006)

By WIsgal

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

For a quick and tasty low-fat meal, take some sliced chicken breast or lean ground beef and brown in one tablespoon of hot oil. Remove from pan and set aside. Add chopped veggies of your choice to pan. I use onion, broccoli, squash, etc. with a couple tablespoons soy sauce and some crushed garlic. Add a little water, if necessary, and saute for two or three minutes. Return chicken or ground beef to pan, toss with veggies and continue cooking for another five minutes or so until chicken is cooked through. Serve with brown or white rice. Best wishes. (06/11/2006)

By Joankay

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

On Wisgal's pineapple dessert, make sure you use the whole can of crushed pineapple along with the juice, do not drain it. Pour from the can into the cake mix. My aunt made this during our visit home last year, it was tasty & ever so easy! (07/09/2007)

By badwater

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceNovember 9, 2016
Finding an Honest Mechanic, Mechanic Holding up Car Part in Front of Car
Finding an Honest Mechanic
Woman Measuring Her Waist Holding Apple
Healthy Weight Loss Tips
A happy woman eating a salad.
Healthy Eating Advice
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
🎄