Finding Help With Roof Repair for Elderly Man

My grandfather who will be 80 later this year and is living on Social Security only is in need of some roof repair. My brother and I, with our spouses, have been trying to make the other repairs that are needed. I still have to save the money for painting the inside of the house. The roof caused a leak in the dining room over the table. It has gotten to the point that I and my brother can't keep making all of the repairs and I don't know what else to do. Even if I could get half of the roof done for now I would be ever so grateful. Where can we go?

By Jennifer

Answers

Best Answer

There is a government funded agency that does home repairs for seniors and disabled people. The drawback is I can't tell you the name because I do know it has different names in different states and even different names in different cities in the same state.

You might try asking about Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL). If you Dad has a social worker/welfare worker they might know something about it. Otherwise start asking your State and Federal politicians There is a waiting list and it does go by income.

That being said, if you can get the repairs made by this organization, your Dad will have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or else pay back the money that was spend on the repairs, on a pro-rated basis.

Also from what I have heard, at least in the area where I live they don't do shingles, they do some kind of metal roof. I have been told that doesn't look as nice as shingles would, but it would be better than nothing. Otherwise speak with your Dad's or your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special, anonymous offering for a needy member of the congregation. There might also be members of the congregation that can do the labor and might be some that can furnish some of the necessary materials.