Finding a Collar for a Large Dog

Shar-Pei wearing a collar.
Large dogs are often very strong and need a collar that is durable and also comfortable for them to wear. This is a guide about finding a collar for a large dog.

I have a 1/2 Mastiff 1/2 German Pointer dog who protects me and the yard. I have a 4 foot chain link fence that he can get over. I have no idea what he would do, as he barks his "mean" bark at the neighbors and their dog when it's outside.

I bought a semi-heavy chain to put him on so that he can be in the yard a bit to enjoy the sunshine, birds, etc. He currently wears a choke collar, but that cannot be used with this chain because it indeed chokes him! I want him as comfortable as possible while on the chain outside, but need to know what kind of collar to put him in. I cannot take any risks of him slipping his collar either. He weighs 138 pounds, more than I do and although he knows his commands, he will "not" mind at all or come to me when he's in attack mode. Help!

By Linda K.

Best Answer

Try a harness.

Hi - I do not know where you live but if in the US you should check about laws concerning chaining dogs - even in a fenced-in yard!

Some Florida cities/counties have strict laws about this and can fine anyone found chaining their dog. The only "legal" thing in these areas is to put your dog on a "dog run" - like a long clothes line with plenty of water that he/she cannot turn over.

Just a thought!

Big dogs are hard to collar when left alone on a chain. Maybe someone will have a suggestion that you can use.

Chaining a dog is cruel. Untie him and bring him inside. Consult a trainer about his behavior. A tied dog has no escape from other dogs or predators. They become aggressive and unpredictable. If you are scared of him, consult a rescue who can find him a better home.

Have you considered a harness? It would solve the choking problem. You sound like a great and responsible pet owner ...good on you.