Finding a Lost Relative

Whether you are trying to locate a relative you have never met or attempting to reconnect with some one you have lost track of, finding a lost relative can be a daunting task. There are many resources available to help you with the search. This is a guide to finding a lost relative.

August 4, 2016 Flag

My mom died 2 years ago. I last heard from my brother not long after mom died. I have an awful feeling he may be deceased. If not, I would like to contact him. When I go into "free" search sites, the end of the road always ends up requesting payment information to get a full report. I can't afford any luxuries. Is it even possible to find a "free" site that claims it's "free" (that is accredited by the BBB) to find my brother?
Thank you for your help!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Although Google can often be extremely helpful, eyebeeleve2, this time you might want to put on your thinking cap. Have you tried Facebook, for instance? How about an online telephone directory for the last town / city you remember him living? Do you recall any of his school friends' names and might you be able to locate any of them to ask for information about your brother? How about other family members with whom he may have been close? Where did he graduate high school and do they have an alumni association for reunions (they're often pretty good at keeping track of people)? Did he ever marry or have children? Have you tried simply entering his name in the Google search field?

Good luck!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

There are several members that are experts at finding lost relatives. I posted for a friend looking for her father and within a few days had 3 excellent leads. Put as much info as possible and make sure you put your brothers name in the title of your post...that way if anybody ever Google's his name it will show up in the search results. Good Luck to you!!

May 15, 2011 Flag

I am trying to find my sister I have not seen for 20 years and am having trouble. How can I locate her current address and phone number?

By Elizabeth P

Best Answer

The Salvation Army helps to find lost relatives. We have been contacted by them twice, looking for a man with the same name as my husband, but the one they were trying to find was much older.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn ... 9D05F78852574410045EEB5?Opendocument

Best Answer

Try to find your relative through their profession. If, for example, she was a nurse, you might not have to ask many nurses before someone remembered where your sister lived. Also they might help you to place an advertisement in a trade ot professional magazine.

Often it is difficult to trace people through formal routes because they change their names on marriage or are known by a nickname.

June 25, 2016 Flag

I have been very curious about finding my half sisters that I know for sure my birth father had. All I know is his name and DOB. He has never been in my life, but his mom did participate a little when I was a child and she would tell me stories. I have never met them. I'm am 26 now.

Check with the Church of Latter Day Saints (or LDS), also known as Mormons. They've been compiling geneological records for decades and are quite open about sharing their findings. You needn't be Mormon to access the information although they may require a small fee. Good luck!

Whats his name my father passed and ill be turning 27 in sept. I have 3 brothers that i know but i only know 2 joshua and ryan austin

April 26, 2016 Flag

My sister and I do not share the same dad. She has been trying her whole life to look for her father but gave up cause all we have is a name. We don't even know if we are spelling it right. We also have an approximate year of birth. We don't know if he is alive or dead. Any suggestions on what we should do? I wouldn't want to go my whole life not knowing who my father is and I don't want my sister to either.

What part of the country do you live? There are many resources in local libraries and vital statistics.

They have groups (I don't know their names) that can assist you. Also, adoption records are now "open" in some states.

May 15, 2011 Flag

By Elizabeth P.

Best Answer

I have used Zabasearch to successfully find many people. It may take a while and if she has gotten married and you don't know her new name that may make the task a bit difficult.

Best Answer

I've found this to be pretty good, at least (if found) it will disclose address and a telephone number without you having to join http://www.yellowpages.com/findaperson

June 22, 2016 Flag

How do I find any half brothers or sisters I may have? All I know is our father's name is Michael Allan and they might live in the Somerset Bristol area. Many thanks.

Contact the Mormon church, Susan. They call themselves Latter Day Saints or LDS and have compiled hundreds of thousands of geneologic records. One needn't belong to their organization to access the information.

You could try emailing the Bristol Evening Post

epletters@bepp.co.uk

My sister said to me when I went looking for my father's 'other' family, "Be aware . They may not want to know" They did though!

Best of luck.

Marg from England.

March 30, 2016 Flag

I live in the USA and have 2 cousins born and living in England (or so I believe). The only information I have is their biological father's name and approximate year of birth, along with his father's name and dob. My cousins' biological parents divorced many years ago, their mother remarried and her new husband adopted the children, so I assume they took their adoptive father's surname. My mother (and their aunt) is deceased, their biological father is also deceased, and no other information is available. I do know the gender and approximate age of my cousins. Any suggestions on how I might find them would be great. I'd love to meet them (assuming they'd like to meet me, as well). Thank you.

Have you considered contacting the LDS / Mormons? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been researching geneology for many years and you needn't be Mormon to access their records. Simply find a Family History Center in your vicinity and ask if they can help.

Give the services at Ancestry.co.uk a try. They frequently feature 'free to search' weekends and are the most reliable source of finding lost relatives.

If you have any idea the town(s) they live(d) in, you could also try going to the local newsfeed online and either placing an advert (will cost) or making a comment on a community page asking for any information on your family members. I live in Scotland and frequently see these requests and classified adverts from people trying to find family members.

Best luck to you for a happy reunion!

May 17, 2013 Flag

My name is Sadie and I found your website through an Internet search. I really don't know where to start as I have now been trying my hardest to locate a relative of mine for quite a long time now but to no avail.

I actually gave up searching for a while as I haven't been able to come up with anything solid. However just recently I have decided to start asking for help again as I really want to locate the relative in question as a gift to my mother (it is her brother) whom I understand to be living in the United States.

As I am not a US resident, thus far I have come up against obstacles that hinder my search. I actually live in the United Kingdom. I have only a limited amount of information to go by on from what my mother told me years ago. So here I am again asking a complete stranger would you please please try and assist me in my search? I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.

By Sadie from UK

There is web site called findagrave.com. You didn't mention his approximate age but if he has died and buried you may find information there. Also search his last name at those sites. Sometimes a memorial is listed and it oftentimes mentions relatives; where they lived and died and it may give you an idea of where he may live if still alive. Have you checked the sites like peoplesearch.com? Search by his last name and you may come up with a relative and these sites list all the cities of where they lived in the past. Keep us posted and we'll help if you give us more information.

I have access to several websites, such as ancestry.com and others. I can search for you or help you learn how to search. Let me know if I can help. I wish you luck.

Becky H.

truebeliever05 AT gmail.com

December 5, 2011 Flag

When I was 3 months old my father left my mother to fend for herself and the new born, me. He told my mother he was going back to the state he was born in to go help my great grandmother with my great grandfather because he had fallen ill.

Load More
Better Living Family GenealogyJuly 11, 2011
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
Pumpkin Dessert
Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
A young woman grieving.
Helping a Grieving Friend or Relative
A girl who can't find her parents.
Teaching a Child What to Do if They are Lost
🎉
🎄