Finding a Lost Relative

Category Genealogy
Whether you are trying to locate a relative you have never met or attempting to reconnect with some one you have lost track of, finding a lost relative can be a daunting task. There are many resources available to help you with the search. This is a guide to finding a lost relative.

Finding a Lost Parent

If you were not raised by your biological parent it would be a difficult and emotional process to locate your lost parent. This is a guide about finding a lost parent.

Locating for a Half Sibling

Finding long lost relatives can be a challenge and often requires professional help. This is a guide about locating a half sibling.

I found my siblings by googling my maiden name. Two of them had gone onto Facecook and came up in a search I did with Google. Since I have a very rare maiden name, that made it easy.

Even better, Mocavo.com (a genealogical search engine) is now online, specifically made for finding ancestors and missing people. Other sites to try:

Source: 25 years of my own genealogical research and study of the web.

By Cornelia from OR

In 1961 we moved to Pea Ridge Arkansas. We caught a bus and went to school in Jane Missouri. I was in the 7th grade that year. My best friend, who I found out was also my second cousin, was in the same grade. Her name was Dottie Keene. She told me her father's name was Bill Keene. She never mentioned her mother. She never talked about having sisters and brothers. I believe she was an only child. My mother was a Keene and her father's name was Arval Adalbert, and everyone called him Zack. He was born into a large family, the mother being Sarah Menerva McCool, who was married to Willis David Keene. Willis was born in 1867 and Sarah 1878. There were 10 kids who lived, and one died of SIDS at an early age. Bill was the 9th child, who I once thought was Dottie's father. In my search to find Dottie, a cousin told me that a family member told her that Bill had gone off on the sly and got a lady pregnant, who lived in one of the hollers in Pea Ridge, and his other family didn't take to this very well and they moved away. Then one of the grandkids of Uncle Bill told me that the girl did not carry the last name of Keene. There was still a Dottie Keene, and we were the same age, and she lived in one of the hollers in Pea Ridge, and when I asked her what her father's name was, I could almost swear that she said, "Bill" I heard that the girl's mother passed away and she was living in her mother's same house, but no one seems to know of her. There has got to be someone who knew her, besides myself, who also knew her, as a Keene, who maybe knew who she married. Married names throw people off on searches too. I stopped searching for a while, but now reaching out for help or ideas. I don't live too far from Pea Ridge myself, and I just married a man who has a car. We may go visit the town and ask around, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Microfiche is a type of analog storage that was used by libraries before the advent of the computer. Images are reduced and printed on a clear material which can be read and enlarged by a specific machine. Many older libraries and universities still have extensive microfiche collections, and old government documents were also archived in this way.

Someone told my brother who lives in Kansan City, MO that he has 3 sisters. I know the mother's name, and the maiden names of the girls. The mother more than likely has passed by now.

Go to familytreenow.com. If the family has not opted out you can find addresses and phone numbers and links to relatives.

I am trying to find my half sister. She is called Mandy Hyde or Mandy Bushell. Our father is Malcom John Hyde. I've been searching for a few years now. She was fostered in Chapeltown near Sheffield. Our other sister is Julie who is dying of Huntington's corea. Mandy has brothers. I think one was called David or John. I'm desperate to find her as I still carry a photo of her when she was young. Also I need her back into the family. I've tried Facebook etc. to no avail. Please help. I live in Sheffield.

I would use ancestry.com or myheritage.com. You have a good amount of information. Include birth dates.

My auntie lives in Australia. I know her name, address, and where she works. She wrote my mum (her sister) a letter and my mum replied only for the letter to be sent back. I've looked on Facebook and other social media outlets and even rung her work, but it's a massive place and would charge my phone mega money. Where do I look now? Any help appreciated.

Questions: Has it been a long time since your mother and auntie have communicated before she received this letter? It seems this might be the case - if so, there must have been a reason your auntie wrote this letter? Did she indicate that she wanted to continue being in touch with your family? I am asking these questions because from what you are saying, your auntie does not wish to hear from your mother/family.

You say you have an address and where she works - was the letter your mother wrote sent to her home address - if so, what does it state on the returned letter as to why it was returned? Refused? No longer at this address? unknown? This would be the first item to consider.

You say you tried to call her at work but that it is a massive place and would cost a lot of money to continue the call - that is understandable.

It does appear that your auntie does not wish to keep in contact but if you wish to continue to pursue contact then you may just have to continue sending letters to the home address and hopefully she will accept one one day. If you have an address of where she works (or you can get it over the Internet since you have the name of the company) then you might want to send her a letter in care of the company/address and hopefully they will forward it to her department.

I would think carefully about before writing a letter to the company itself asking about her (unless this is an emergency) as it may not reflect well on her - just saying.

I have been trying to locate and meet my brother since I first found out about him. I'm only 16 so I obviously haven't got the money for a private investigator and people like that. I do have information about my brother, I know his name, how old he is, and have a rough idea of his birthday. I know his mum's first and last name and where he lived when he was born. I have tried searching for him and his mum on social media and I have googled both of them, but I can't find anything :(

I don't have contact with my dad. The only time I have spoken to him in years is when he told me about my brother. My mum knows nothing because my dad is a secretive person and doesn't share important things, but I really really want to meet my older brother. How can I find him? It would mean a lot to me to meet him. Thank you.

I would try ancestry.com . I would start a tree with you, your parents and your brother and see if you got a hint . You can just list him as an unknown son under your dad or you can try possible family names or names or names you just think might be something that sounds right. Play with it . If you have info on his mother put her in there too. If he has been adopted, put any info you may have. Any hints you get on anyone may give you cities he may live in or other information. If you can get his name make sure you change unknown to his name. If you get a city, or even a county i would look at classmates.com for his name (hopefully he has same last name).

I have an older brother that I know very little about. All I know is that his first name is Alex, he's only a couple of years older than me (I'm 20, but I don't know his exact age). My dad is his father, but he's not on the birth certificate. I really want to find him, but I don't know where to look.

My dad told me the info but he won't tell me anything else. No matter how bad I want the info I don't think I could look through his stuff. I'm just afraid that if I ask my relatives that they will tell my dad.

So I just found out about this website. I'm looking for two of my older brothers, both were adopted out of Florida into different states. I ended up in Ohio, one ended up in New Mexico and one ended up in Oregon. I would love to find them and connect, even though we have never met. I know their names at birth and our mother's names, but I don't know where to begin. I cannot afford a private investigator, any advice would appreciated.

All of these are good answers but most people just feel overwhelmed when they start something like this. Since you are looking for brothers you may have some success because they may have listed their birth name somewhere (if they know it) but otherwise this may be a very long search.

Some people are now using DNA testing to help find relatives but the cost is around 100.00.

Here are a couple of sites that may help you set up a plan so you can start your search.

http://www.dna-  t-Relatives.html

http://www.wiki  Relatives-Online

My mom died 2 years ago. I last heard from my brother not long after mom died. I have an awful feeling he may be deceased. If not, I would like to contact him. When I go into "free" search sites, the end of the road always ends up requesting payment information to get a full report. I can't afford any luxuries. Is it even possible to find a "free" site that claims it's "free" (that is accredited by the BBB) to find my brother?
Thank you for your help!

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I am trying to get in touch with my sister who is Andiswa Mbana her clan name is Mamjwarha my cousin last saw her in East London she was born in 1984 she used to live in Jambeni location she was in love with a Zulu man in Durban she left her two children their names are Philani and Thandolwethu I am her young sister Omega Mbana...plz help me to find her

Many years ago, my uncle Charles Frazier and his wife Cheryl had 2 beautiful girls, named Charlene and Christy. Cheryl left my uncle and he and his mom were raising the girls who were still very young. Cheryl then came back and took the girls away, back to California where she lived. We have not heard a word ever since. This has been many many years ago. Uncle Charles died in 1975. We, the family, would like to get in touch with the girls, but don't know how to. Any help would be appreciated.

Facebook also has many pages for schools. You can go to those pages and put in a request. Many friends and family members have been reunited this way.

I am trying to find my sister I have not seen for 20 years and am having trouble. How can I locate her current address and phone number?

By Elizabeth P

Best Answer

The Salvation Army helps to find lost relatives. We have been contacted by them twice, looking for a man with the same name as my husband, but the one they were trying to find was much older.

http://www.salv  EB5?Opendocument

My name is Sadie and I found your website through an Internet search. I really don't know where to start as I have now been trying my hardest to locate a relative of mine for quite a long time now but to no avail.

I actually gave up searching for a while as I haven't been able to come up with anything solid. However just recently I have decided to start asking for help again as I really want to locate the relative in question as a gift to my mother (it is her brother) whom I understand to be living in the United States.

As I am not a US resident, thus far I have come up against obstacles that hinder my search. I actually live in the United Kingdom. I have only a limited amount of information to go by on from what my mother told me years ago. So here I am again asking a complete stranger would you please please try and assist me in my search? I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.

By Sadie from UK

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Post the info about your lost relative and we, over here "across the pond" will try to help you find him! Good luck.

By Elizabeth P.

Best Answer

I have used Zabasearch to successfully find many people. It may take a while and if she has gotten married and you don't know her new name that may make the task a bit difficult.

I have been very curious about finding my half sisters that I know for sure my birth father had. All I know is his name and DOB. He has never been in my life, but his mom did participate a little when I was a child and she would tell me stories. I have never met them. I'm am 26 now.

Whats his name my father passed and ill be turning 27 in sept. I have 3 brothers that i know but i only know 2 joshua and ryan austin

I live in the USA and have 2 cousins born and living in England (or so I believe). The only information I have is their biological father's name and approximate year of birth, along with his father's name and dob. My cousins' biological parents divorced many years ago, their mother remarried and her new husband adopted the children, so I assume they took their adoptive father's surname. My mother (and their aunt) is deceased, their biological father is also deceased, and no other information is available. I do know the gender and approximate age of my cousins. Any suggestions on how I might find them would be great. I'd love to meet them (assuming they'd like to meet me, as well). Thank you.

Give the services at Ancestry.co.uk a try. They frequently feature 'free to search' weekends and are the most reliable source of finding lost relatives.

If you have any idea the town(s) they live(d) in, you could also try going to the local newsfeed online and either placing an advert (will cost) or making a comment on a community page asking for any information on your family members. I live in Scotland and frequently see these requests and classified adverts from people trying to find family members.

Best luck to you for a happy reunion!

When I was 3 months old my father left my mother to fend for herself and the new born, me. He told my mother he was going back to the state he was born in to go help my great grandmother with my great grandfather because he had fallen ill. A few weeks passed and my mother finally got the nerve to call my grandmother due to the fact my mother had never met any of my father's family because they all lived in different states. His dad lived in Florida, his mom in Illinois, and his grandparents were there too.

Anyways when she called, his grandmother said no her husband was fine and he had never came to her house. My mother tried to find him using his Social Security number, but failed. 15 years later I'm finally old enough to know what is going on. Now she says she doesn't know what this social security number is or anything. I found a old birthday card he sent when I was two, with an old PO box number on it.

She doesn't remember most things when I ask her, like what did he look like. I have a feeling she isn't telling everything to me and my mother doesn't keep things from me.

He's done this once before. I have an older sister by him whom I have never met either. All I know is his name. If you have any ideas on how to find him please let me know.

Thank you it would mean the world to me if I could meet my father at least once before I turn 18, but it would be nicer if I could before 16. :)

By "hollywoodundead" from Akron, OH

Best Answer

Try genforum, a genealogy site that helps in finding family members, alive and not. You can google search by typing genforum and your last name. Also can be searched by state and sometimes county. Hope you find who you are looking for.

How do I find any half brothers or sisters I may have? All I know is our father's name is Michael Allan and they might live in the Somerset Bristol area. Many thanks.

Contact the Mormon church, Susan. They call themselves Latter Day Saints or LDS and have compiled hundreds of thousands of geneologic records. One needn't belong to their organization to access the information.

I'm looking for my niece, I am her biological father's sister. She would be close to 40 years old. I would very much love to find her. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks for the help.

By Kay

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try Genes re-united. I never knew my father but I posted his name and the place where I was born and discovered all his 'official family'. Aged 60 it was an eerie, amazing feeling. We are still catching up! Best of luck.

Marg from England.

I am looking for my son. I haven't seen him in 38 years. He lives in Rochester, New York.

Load More