Finding a Lost Relative

Whether you are trying to locate a relative you have never met or attempting to reconnect with some one you have lost track of, finding a lost relative can be a daunting task. There are many resources available to help you with the search. This is a guide to finding a lost relative.

August 7, 2012 Flag

I found my siblings by googling my maiden name. Two of them had gone onto Facecook and came up in a search I did with Google. Since I have a very rare maiden name, that made it easy.

Even better, Mocavo.com (a genealogical search engine) is now online, specifically made for finding ancestors and missing people. Other sites to try:

Source: 25 years of my own genealogical research and study of the web.

By Cornelia from OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2017 Flag

Many years ago, my uncle Charles Frazier and his wife Cheryl had 2 beautiful girls, named Charlene and Christy. Cheryl left my uncle and he and his mom were raising the girls who were still very young. Cheryl then came back and took the girls away, back to California where she lived. We have not heard a word ever since. This has been many many years ago. Uncle Charles died in 1975. We, the family, would like to get in touch with the girls, but don't know how to. Any help would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you already google searched? Looked on facebook? Ancestry.com? did Cheryl remarry? Have you checked CA records for a marriage license in the event she remarried and changed the girls last names? Did you also search for the aunts obit using her maiden name on ancestry.com?

Facebook also has many pages for schools. You can go to those pages and put in a request. Many friends and family members have been reunited this way.

December 20, 2016 Flag

My father had 5 children (that we know of). 3 daughters and 2 sons. His name was Donald Wayne Cobb. His oldest daughter is Donielle. She was adopted out and had her name changed. His sons are Josh and Jason. My name is Sherrie and the youngest daughter is my sister Adrian. Adrian and I are full sisters from our mother Sherry. We are looking for our older sister and brothers. I have tried looking from my fathers name with no luck. I have hit dead ends on every endeavor. Would love help with this!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make your platform Facebook account post pictures of you and your family with a message asking for your sibling or the I love one that you are looking for you also can use this on Instagram Twitter YouTube hope everything works out

Do the DNA testing that Ancestory.com offers (I think it is around $100). Then register your results. If they have done the same, the computer will match you up to each other.

August 4, 2016 Flag

My mom died 2 years ago. I last heard from my brother not long after mom died. I have an awful feeling he may be deceased. If not, I would like to contact him. When I go into "free" search sites, the end of the road always ends up requesting payment information to get a full report. I can't afford any luxuries. Is it even possible to find a "free" site that claims it's "free" (that is accredited by the BBB) to find my brother?
Thank you for your help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.city  m/people-search/

There are several members that are experts at finding lost relatives. I posted for a friend looking for her father and within a few days had 3 excellent leads. Put as much info as possible and make sure you put your brothers name in the title of your post...that way if anybody ever Google's his name it will show up in the search results. Good Luck to you!!

I am trying to get in touch with my sister who is Andiswa Mbana her clan name is Mamjwarha my cousin last saw her in East London she was born in 1984 she used to live in Jambeni location she was in love with a Zulu man in Durban she left her two children their names are Philani and Thandolwethu I am her young sister Omega Mbana...plz help me to find her

May 15, 2011 Flag

I am trying to find my sister I have not seen for 20 years and am having trouble. How can I locate her current address and phone number?

By Elizabeth P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The Salvation Army helps to find lost relatives. We have been contacted by them twice, looking for a man with the same name as my husband, but the one they were trying to find was much older.

http://www.salv  EB5?Opendocument

Best Answer

Try to find your relative through their profession. If, for example, she was a nurse, you might not have to ask many nurses before someone remembered where your sister lived. Also they might help you to place an advertisement in a trade ot professional magazine.

Often it is difficult to trace people through formal routes because they change their names on marriage or are known by a nickname.

May 15, 2011 Flag

By Elizabeth P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have used Zabasearch to successfully find many people. It may take a while and if she has gotten married and you don't know her new name that may make the task a bit difficult.

Best Answer

I've found this to be pretty good, at least (if found) it will disclose address and a telephone number without you having to join http://www.yell  .com/findaperson

June 25, 2016 Flag

I have been very curious about finding my half sisters that I know for sure my birth father had. All I know is his name and DOB. He has never been in my life, but his mom did participate a little when I was a child and she would tell me stories. I have never met them. I'm am 26 now.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with the Church of Latter Day Saints (or LDS), also known as Mormons. They've been compiling geneological records for decades and are quite open about sharing their findings. You needn't be Mormon to access the information although they may require a small fee. Good luck!

Whats his name my father passed and ill be turning 27 in sept. I have 3 brothers that i know but i only know 2 joshua and ryan austin

April 26, 2016 Flag

My sister and I do not share the same dad. She has been trying her whole life to look for her father but gave up cause all we have is a name. We don't even know if we are spelling it right. We also have an approximate year of birth. We don't know if he is alive or dead. Any suggestions on what we should do? I wouldn't want to go my whole life not knowing who my father is and I don't want my sister to either.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What part of the country do you live? There are many resources in local libraries and vital statistics.

They have groups (I don't know their names) that can assist you. Also, adoption records are now "open" in some states.

May 17, 2013 Flag

My name is Sadie and I found your website through an Internet search. I really don't know where to start as I have now been trying my hardest to locate a relative of mine for quite a long time now but to no avail.

I actually gave up searching for a while as I haven't been able to come up with anything solid. However just recently I have decided to start asking for help again as I really want to locate the relative in question as a gift to my mother (it is her brother) whom I understand to be living in the United States.

As I am not a US resident, thus far I have come up against obstacles that hinder my search. I actually live in the United Kingdom. I have only a limited amount of information to go by on from what my mother told me years ago. So here I am again asking a complete stranger would you please please try and assist me in my search? I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.

By Sadie from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is web site called findagrave.com. You didn't mention his approximate age but if he has died and buried you may find information there. Also search his last name at those sites. Sometimes a memorial is listed and it oftentimes mentions relatives; where they lived and died and it may give you an idea of where he may live if still alive. Have you checked the sites like peoplesearch.com? Search by his last name and you may come up with a relative and these sites list all the cities of where they lived in the past. Keep us posted and we'll help if you give us more information.

I have access to several websites, such as ancestry.com and others. I can search for you or help you learn how to search. Let me know if I can help. I wish you luck.

Becky H.

truebeliever05 AT gmail.com

March 30, 2016 Flag

I live in the USA and have 2 cousins born and living in England (or so I believe). The only information I have is their biological father's name and approximate year of birth, along with his father's name and dob. My cousins' biological parents divorced many years ago, their mother remarried and her new husband adopted the children, so I assume they took their adoptive father's surname. My mother (and their aunt) is deceased, their biological father is also deceased, and no other information is available. I do know the gender and approximate age of my cousins. Any suggestions on how I might find them would be great. I'd love to meet them (assuming they'd like to meet me, as well). Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you considered contacting the LDS / Mormons? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been researching geneology for many years and you needn't be Mormon to access their records. Simply find a Family History Center in your vicinity and ask if they can help.

Give the services at Ancestry.co.uk a try. They frequently feature 'free to search' weekends and are the most reliable source of finding lost relatives.

If you have any idea the town(s) they live(d) in, you could also try going to the local newsfeed online and either placing an advert (will cost) or making a comment on a community page asking for any information on your family members. I live in Scotland and frequently see these requests and classified adverts from people trying to find family members.

Best luck to you for a happy reunion!

June 22, 2016 Flag

How do I find any half brothers or sisters I may have? All I know is our father's name is Michael Allan and they might live in the Somerset Bristol area. Many thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact the Mormon church, Susan. They call themselves Latter Day Saints or LDS and have compiled hundreds of thousands of geneologic records. One needn't belong to their organization to access the information.

You could try emailing the Bristol Evening Post

epletters@bepp.co.uk

My sister said to me when I went looking for my father's 'other' family, "Be aware . They may not want to know" They did though!

Best of luck.

Marg from England.

December 5, 2011 Flag

When I was 3 months old my father left my mother to fend for herself and the new born, me. He told my mother he was going back to the state he was born in to go help my great grandmother with my great grandfather because he had fallen ill. A few weeks passed and my mother finally got the nerve to call my grandmother due to the fact my mother had never met any of my father's family because they all lived in different states. His dad lived in Florida, his mom in Illinois, and his grandparents were there too.

Anyways when she called, his grandmother said no her husband was fine and he had never came to her house. My mother tried to find him using his Social Security number, but failed. 15 years later I'm finally old enough to know what is going on. Now she says she doesn't know what this social security number is or anything. I found a old birthday card he sent when I was two, with an old PO box number on it.

She doesn't remember most things when I ask her, like what did he look like. I have a feeling she isn't telling everything to me and my mother doesn't keep things from me.

He's done this once before. I have an older sister by him whom I have never met either. All I know is his name. If you have any ideas on how to find him please let me know.

Thank you it would mean the world to me if I could meet my father at least once before I turn 18, but it would be nicer if I could before 16. :)

By "hollywoodundead" from Akron, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try genforum, a genealogy site that helps in finding family members, alive and not. You can google search by typing genforum and your last name. Also can be searched by state and sometimes county. Hope you find who you are looking for.

Well actually, you are entitled to support from this man and if you petition the courts with his SS number for that support they may find him. Understand even at your young age that this man is missing something in characture if he would abandon his two children, and you may not like what you find if you do locate him. Sometimes these reunions work out. Sometimes the person who gets found turns out to be a leach and can't be got rid of and causes all kinds of trouble. There are people who know all kinds of ways to find people on the net. If you know the town where your grandparents lived and if they are still alive, contact them. If they are not still living look for an obituary on line, in the town where they died, and many times the survivors are named and the town where they live is listed, You might want to find someone who loves to do genealogy who will do it for a favor. They love puzzles like this.

September 7, 2012 Flag

I am looking for my son. I haven't seen him in 38 years. He lives in Rochester, New York.

By Robert

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can always try MyLife and some of the other search sites. My husband found his brother there after 8 years, just in time he had 4th stage liver cancer. I wish you luck.

If you need some help please email me amberbe24 AT yahoo.com. I found my husbands father and mother also a sister.

March 13, 2013 Flag

I'm looking for my niece, I am her biological father's sister. She would be close to 40 years old. I would very much love to find her. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks for the help.

By Kay

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She may be on Facebook, do you know her name? Search there for her first. Some people keep maiden names as middle names on Facebook, so include that in your search.

Good luck!

Try Genes re-united. I never knew my father but I posted his name and the place where I was born and discovered all his 'official family'. Aged 60 it was an eerie, amazing feeling. We are still catching up! Best of luck.

Marg from England.

September 4, 2013 Flag

My boyfriend has a daughter who was born in 1982. For some reason he lost contact with her when she was 14 years old. My boyfriend said that she had lived with her mom in San Diego, CA before she moved to Seattle, Washington.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Family GenealogyJuly 11, 2011
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
Pumpkin Dessert
Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
A young woman grieving.
Helping a Grieving Friend or Relative
A girl who can't find her parents.
Teaching a Child What to Do if They are Lost
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 3:10:29 AM on 10.0.1.120 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.