Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding a Lost Relative

Whether you are trying to locate a relative you have never met or attempting to reconnect with some one you have lost track of, finding a lost relative can be a daunting task. There are many resources available to help you with the search. This is a guide to finding a lost relative.

March 16, 2017 Flag

Finding a Lost Parent

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you were not raised by your biological parent it would be a difficult and emotional process to locate your lost parent. This is a guide about finding a lost parent.

August 7, 2012 Flag

I found my siblings by googling my maiden name. Two of them had gone onto Facecook and came up in a search I did with Google. Since I have a very rare maiden name, that made it easy.

Even better, Mocavo.com (a genealogical search engine) is now online, specifically made for finding ancestors and missing people. Other sites to try:

Source: 25 years of my own genealogical research and study of the web.

By Cornelia from OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2017 Flag

I have been trying to locate and meet my brother since I first found out about him. I'm only 16 so I obviously haven't got the money for a private investigator and people like that. I do have information about my brother, I know his name, how old he is, and have a rough idea of his birthday. I know his mum's first and last name and where he lived when he was born. I have tried searching for him and his mum on social media and I have googled both of them, but I can't find anything :(

I don't have contact with my dad. The only time I have spoken to him in years is when he told me about my brother. My mum knows nothing because my dad is a secretive person and doesn't share important things, but I really really want to meet my older brother. How can I find him? It would mean a lot to me to meet him. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is he older or younger? If you know where he was born and roughly when, search the online (and microfishe if he is older, from the library) newspapers. Many areas publish babys births in the newspapers. That would confirm for you his exact date of birth, and possibly other relatives you could maybe find to help in your search (our paper puts the names of siblings and grandparents in the birth. announcements). If you can narrow down where he was at (state wise then city wise) check online to places like classmates.com.

I would try ancestry.com . I would start a tree with you, your parents and your brother and see if you got a hint . You can just list him as an unknown son under your dad or you can try possible family names or names or names you just think might be something that sounds right. Play with it . If you have info on his mother put her in there too. If he has been adopted, put any info you may have. Any hints you get on anyone may give you cities he may live in or other information. If you can get his name make sure you change unknown to his name. If you get a city, or even a county i would look at classmates.com for his name (hopefully he has same last name).

March 13, 2017 Flag

My auntie lives in Australia. I know her name, address, and where she works. She wrote my mum (her sister) a letter and my mum replied only for the letter to be sent back. I've looked on Facebook and other social media outlets and even rung her work, but it's a massive place and would charge my phone mega money. Where do I look now? Any help appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

thankyou guys, i will email her work. I have written a letter and it got sent back to me which suggests she has moved?!

Questions: Has it been a long time since your mother and auntie have communicated before she received this letter? It seems this might be the case - if so, there must have been a reason your auntie wrote this letter? Did she indicate that she wanted to continue being in touch with your family? I am asking these questions because from what you are saying, your auntie does not wish to hear from your mother/family.

You say you have an address and where she works - was the letter your mother wrote sent to her home address - if so, what does it state on the returned letter as to why it was returned? Refused? No longer at this address? unknown? This would be the first item to consider.

You say you tried to call her at work but that it is a massive place and would cost a lot of money to continue the call - that is understandable.

It does appear that your auntie does not wish to keep in contact but if you wish to continue to pursue contact then you may just have to continue sending letters to the home address and hopefully she will accept one one day. If you have an address of where she works (or you can get it over the Internet since you have the name of the company) then you might want to send her a letter in care of the company/address and hopefully they will forward it to her department.

I would think carefully about before writing a letter to the company itself asking about her (unless this is an emergency) as it may not reflect well on her - just saying.

February 27, 2017 Flag

I have an older brother that I know very little about. All I know is that his first name is Alex, he's only a couple of years older than me (I'm 20, but I don't know his exact age). My dad is his father, but he's not on the birth certificate. I really want to find him, but I don't know where to look.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you know about this? Did he volunteer the info or did someone else spill the beans to you? It seems that your source was pretty incomplete and somewhat unwilling.

Seriously, if you want to find him, you're going to have to go rogue. Snoop thorugh your dad's stuff, if he has anything, like journals, old letters, etc. Anything related to the early -mid 90s.

HOund, bribe, and extort information out of any relative or friend of your dad's you might have. They need to at least know who the lady is, what her possible last name is, etc.

Keep on him about how important it is for you, etc. Do not let up.

Because without mroe info, you have really no choice save to hire a private investigator, whihc is probably expensive.

My dad told me the info but he won't tell me anything else. No matter how bad I want the info I don't think I could look through his stuff. I'm just afraid that if I ask my relatives that they will tell my dad.

March 3, 2017 Flag

So I just found out about this website. I'm looking for two of my older brothers, both were adopted out of Florida into different states. I ended up in Ohio, one ended up in New Mexico and one ended up in Oregon. I would love to find them and connect, even though we have never met. I know their names at birth and our mother's names, but I don't know where to begin. I cannot afford a private investigator, any advice would appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another option, after checking with the adoption agencies and talking to your birth parents (who may have access to information not granted you) would be to check the Church of Latter Day Saints. And no, you don't have to be a member of their congregation. I don't know how much they can help, but their family records are amazing in depth as well as scope.

All of these are good answers but most people just feel overwhelmed when they start something like this. Since you are looking for brothers you may have some success because they may have listed their birth name somewhere (if they know it) but otherwise this may be a very long search.

Some people are now using DNA testing to help find relatives but the cost is around 100.00.

Here are a couple of sites that may help you set up a plan so you can start your search.

http://www.dna-  t-Relatives.html

http://www.wiki  Relatives-Online

August 4, 2016 Flag

My mom died 2 years ago. I last heard from my brother not long after mom died. I have an awful feeling he may be deceased. If not, I would like to contact him. When I go into "free" search sites, the end of the road always ends up requesting payment information to get a full report. I can't afford any luxuries. Is it even possible to find a "free" site that claims it's "free" (that is accredited by the BBB) to find my brother?
Thank you for your help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.city  m/people-search/

There are several members that are experts at finding lost relatives. I posted for a friend looking for her father and within a few days had 3 excellent leads. Put as much info as possible and make sure you put your brothers name in the title of your post...that way if anybody ever Google's his name it will show up in the search results. Good Luck to you!!

I am trying to get in touch with my sister who is Andiswa Mbana her clan name is Mamjwarha my cousin last saw her in East London she was born in 1984 she used to live in Jambeni location she was in love with a Zulu man in Durban she left her two children their names are Philani and Thandolwethu I am her young sister Omega Mbana...plz help me to find her

January 8, 2017 Flag

Many years ago, my uncle Charles Frazier and his wife Cheryl had 2 beautiful girls, named Charlene and Christy. Cheryl left my uncle and he and his mom were raising the girls who were still very young. Cheryl then came back and took the girls away, back to California where she lived. We have not heard a word ever since. This has been many many years ago. Uncle Charles died in 1975. We, the family, would like to get in touch with the girls, but don't know how to. Any help would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you already google searched? Looked on facebook? Ancestry.com? did Cheryl remarry? Have you checked CA records for a marriage license in the event she remarried and changed the girls last names? Did you also search for the aunts obit using her maiden name on ancestry.com?

Facebook also has many pages for schools. You can go to those pages and put in a request. Many friends and family members have been reunited this way.

May 15, 2011 Flag

I am trying to find my sister I have not seen for 20 years and am having trouble. How can I locate her current address and phone number?

By Elizabeth P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The Salvation Army helps to find lost relatives. We have been contacted by them twice, looking for a man with the same name as my husband, but the one they were trying to find was much older.

http://www.salv  EB5?Opendocument

Best Answer

Try to find your relative through their profession. If, for example, she was a nurse, you might not have to ask many nurses before someone remembered where your sister lived. Also they might help you to place an advertisement in a trade ot professional magazine.

Often it is difficult to trace people through formal routes because they change their names on marriage or are known by a nickname.

May 15, 2011 Flag

By Elizabeth P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have used Zabasearch to successfully find many people. It may take a while and if she has gotten married and you don't know her new name that may make the task a bit difficult.

Best Answer

I've found this to be pretty good, at least (if found) it will disclose address and a telephone number without you having to join http://www.yell  .com/findaperson

May 17, 2013 Flag

My name is Sadie and I found your website through an Internet search. I really don't know where to start as I have now been trying my hardest to locate a relative of mine for quite a long time now but to no avail.

I actually gave up searching for a while as I haven't been able to come up with anything solid. However just recently I have decided to start asking for help again as I really want to locate the relative in question as a gift to my mother (it is her brother) whom I understand to be living in the United States.

As I am not a US resident, thus far I have come up against obstacles that hinder my search. I actually live in the United Kingdom. I have only a limited amount of information to go by on from what my mother told me years ago. So here I am again asking a complete stranger would you please please try and assist me in my search? I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.

By Sadie from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is web site called findagrave.com. You didn't mention his approximate age but if he has died and buried you may find information there. Also search his last name at those sites. Sometimes a memorial is listed and it oftentimes mentions relatives; where they lived and died and it may give you an idea of where he may live if still alive. Have you checked the sites like peoplesearch.com? Search by his last name and you may come up with a relative and these sites list all the cities of where they lived in the past. Keep us posted and we'll help if you give us more information.

I have access to several websites, such as ancestry.com and others. I can search for you or help you learn how to search. Let me know if I can help. I wish you luck.

Becky H.

truebeliever05 AT gmail.com

June 25, 2016 Flag

I have been very curious about finding my half sisters that I know for sure my birth father had. All I know is his name and DOB. He has never been in my life, but his mom did participate a little when I was a child and she would tell me stories. I have never met them. I'm am 26 now.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with the Church of Latter Day Saints (or LDS), also known as Mormons. They've been compiling geneological records for decades and are quite open about sharing their findings. You needn't be Mormon to access the information although they may require a small fee. Good luck!

Whats his name my father passed and ill be turning 27 in sept. I have 3 brothers that i know but i only know 2 joshua and ryan austin

March 30, 2016 Flag

I live in the USA and have 2 cousins born and living in England (or so I believe). The only information I have is their biological father's name and approximate year of birth, along with his father's name and dob. My cousins' biological parents divorced many years ago, their mother remarried and her new husband adopted the children, so I assume they took their adoptive father's surname. My mother (and their aunt) is deceased, their biological father is also deceased, and no other information is available. I do know the gender and approximate age of my cousins. Any suggestions on how I might find them would be great. I'd love to meet them (assuming they'd like to meet me, as well). Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you considered contacting the LDS / Mormons? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been researching geneology for many years and you needn't be Mormon to access their records. Simply find a Family History Center in your vicinity and ask if they can help.

Give the services at Ancestry.co.uk a try. They frequently feature 'free to search' weekends and are the most reliable source of finding lost relatives.

If you have any idea the town(s) they live(d) in, you could also try going to the local newsfeed online and either placing an advert (will cost) or making a comment on a community page asking for any information on your family members. I live in Scotland and frequently see these requests and classified adverts from people trying to find family members.

Best luck to you for a happy reunion!

June 22, 2016 Flag

How do I find any half brothers or sisters I may have? All I know is our father's name is Michael Allan and they might live in the Somerset Bristol area. Many thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact the Mormon church, Susan. They call themselves Latter Day Saints or LDS and have compiled hundreds of thousands of geneologic records. One needn't belong to their organization to access the information.

You could try emailing the Bristol Evening Post

epletters@bepp.co.uk

My sister said to me when I went looking for my father's 'other' family, "Be aware . They may not want to know" They did though!

Best of luck.

Marg from England.

December 5, 2011 Flag

When I was 3 months old my father left my mother to fend for herself and the new born, me. He told my mother he was going back to the state he was born in to go help my great grandmother with my great grandfather because he had fallen ill.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Family GenealogyJuly 11, 2011
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
A young woman grieving.
Helping a Grieving Friend or Relative
A girl who can't find her parents.
Teaching a Child What to Do if They are Lost
Finding a Lost Parent
Finding a Lost Parent
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 11:03:29 PM on 10.0.0.141 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.