Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic

The cost of veterinary care can be quite expensive. A low cost clinic can help save you money while ensuring that your pets receive the care necessary. This is a guide about finding a low cost vet clinic.

June 11, 2016 Flag

I am planning on adopting a bunny, and would like to have it spayed or neutered, so as to litter box train him or her. I am a senior and am on a fixed income. Any ideas?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ideas? Yes, I have ideas!!!!

It is very difficult, usually impossible, to find low or free veterinary care anywhere, especially during an animal medical emergency. People rarely consider this when deciding to adopt a pet and often end up in debt because of needed veterinary care or they just dump a "pet" off at a shelter because they can't or won't pay for regular and emergency medical treatment. Every year, animal shelters find thousands of animals dumped at their doors; most of these must be euthanized (what a nice word for killed!) due either to needed medical care not provided by the owner or a medical problem so expensive the owner could not pay.

So, if you are not able to provide medical care for a pet, on your own (!!!), because of a low income, then you should not have a pet as there will definitely be medical and emergency care that you will not be able to afford. Do you want to dump off your bunny to be killed because you cannot pay?

July 2, 2013 Flag

I have a cat who was abandoned by his family and then hit by a car all in the same day. His bottom jaw is broken, and I want to know if anyone knows of any animal doctors who would be willing to work with me on a payment schedule. In the meantime, the poor little guy can eat wet cat food and he has a good strong spirit!

By josephsky

Best Answer

I think that any vet would work with you. You are so kind to take on this task. Just take the cat in and ask. No one should turn you down.

Many times a pet rescue agency will have money to help and also some vets have donated money to use for such a cause. A few years ago I found a cat that had a very bad injury that would cost his life if not taken to the vet for surgery right away, we did take him but the cost of the surgery was prohibited because we had six of our own animals. The vet clinic had such a fund and so they paid 1/2 and we paid the other 1/2. We were permitted to make payments.

August 18, 2015 Flag

I have had my cat, Snuggles, for 12years and have never had any serious problems with her till now. She has been spayed and had shots. She has long hair and every year I go through the matting stage so I'm constantly brushing her. She has now started licking to the point that she is bald on her stomach. There seems to be a quarter size bump there. I have no income at all now and really need her to be seen, anyone know how I can deal with this. I'm trying my hardest to not let her lick the area. I love her, she is my one an only. I have not changed anything in her food, environment. I'm scared it may be something serious. Please help me asap.

Veterinarians devote many years and high costs, even go into debt, for training in college and medical school. They then must pay for their clinics, staff, etc., and also have to live and pay their expenses like the rest of us. So, there are very few "low-cost" vets. If you can't afford veterinarian care for your pet, then you can't afford a pet.

If you were ill or had an accident, you would expect immediate medical care and would probably pay for some or most of it yourself. I suggest you find a way to provide medical treatment now for your pet. The longer you wait the more difficult and expensive the problem will be. Your friend is suffering and needs help now.

Some Vets have a fund for animals whose owners can't pay for needed treatment. I would get on the phone and see if you can find one locally.My Vet does this and every time I am in there I drop a $20 in the jar. Many other folks do too. You may be able to barter some services (cleaning). Have a garage sale. Ask your friends and family to chip in $10 each. Most Vet visits are around $50 or$60. That might be enough to allow you to know what is going on and what can be done. Good luck to you and your baby.

April 6, 2015 Flag

I have a sick puppy and no money and it's been sick and throwing up for three days. I need to know if there's someone who could help this poor little puppy.

By Gina

Veterinarians devote many years and pay much money for training in college and medical school. They then must pay for their clinics, staff, etc., and also have to live and pay their expenses like the rest of us. So, there are very few "low-cost" vets.

Take your puppy to your local shelter and surrender it. It will be given compassionate care. In the future be sure to have funds for pet care available before you commit to a pet. No pet ever gets by without ever needing veterinary care.

November 5, 2015 Flag

I need to take my puppy to get her hernia removed, but I need to know of a cheap vet who accepts low income pet owners in the Bronx. Where can I go?

Veterinarians devote many years and high costs and go into debt, for training in college and medical school. They then must pay for their clinics, staff, etc., and also have to live and pay their expenses like the rest of us. So, there are very few "low-cost" vets. If you can't afford veterinarian care for your pet, then you can't afford a pet.

You can call veterinarians in your care for possible payment plans.

June 5, 2014 Flag

My dog has hookworms, I believe, but I have no money right now. So where can I take him that will help me? I heard something about some kind of free pet insurance is that true? He's not doing so great and I can't lose him, he's part of my family.

By Patricia C

Check with your humane society. they know where the low cost Vet care is. You can also check with local dog rescues.

What makes you think your Dog has Hookworms if you have never consulted a Veterinarian.? and with no disrespect these are the circumstances responsible animal ownership must seriously consider before you become one.

September 1, 2010 Flag

I have a cat who needs to see a vet. I can't afford one for her to see, but fear that if she doesn't see one soon, she can meet her demise.

She is about 8 years old, still seemingly healthy, very happy, and very lovable. My main thing is that she is vomiting mostly everyday. We take food away for 24 hours, she stops. We give it back to her, it starts up again.

Who would do the exam and help her out for little or no cost? I am very much in fear for her. I would appreciate any help anyone who knows anything could offer. Thank you very much.

By LP81 from Indy, IN

Some cats gorge (overeat) and this causes them to vomit. Try small feedings throughout the day and see if that helps. Gorgers are really bad if they are fed "free choice" (food available at all times). You may also want look into raw feeding. There is good information on the internet and it is less expensive. Many cats who have constant indigestion clear up with raw feeding.

My kitty did the same thing and come to find out she had a tumor and it had gone all over her, she would eat and throw up. Try to get help for her as soon as you can.

April 30, 2013 Flag

My daughter's dog got hit by a car and I have no money right now. I can't let him die, that dog means the world to her. Can you please help me?

By Misty

Go to any vet...they will allow you to make payment arrangements in an emergency situation.

I don't know what state you live in but if you live near a veterinary school they will treat your baby for a fraction of the cost.

September 18, 2014 Flag

Please help, I've been searching all night. My 3 year old big baby Capone had a recent minor surgery to remove a large skin tag. They put a breathing tube down his throat. 5 days later his neck is swollen up like a balloon. I took him to another vet, they charged me 1200 to run tests and gave us antibiotics and pain meds saying it would go down within a week. We waited the week and he was getting worse, so in the middle of the night, scared, I took him to an emergency pet hospital. They gave me stronger antibiotics told me it looks like his traceal tube may have been damaged during his first surgery and sent me on my way after charging me over 500. He has continued to get worse so I took him back to emergency last night where they told me it will be another 2300 to run tests that would tell me exactly what's wrong, then they would give me another estimate of how much more to treat him.

I love my dog so much, but now I am tapped out. I filled bankruptcy last year. There's no way I'll be approved for CARE credit. I need help fast, time for my Capone is of the essence. I live in the IE (Inland Empire) in California. Please help, or point me in the right direction. I'm willing to drive anywhere.

By Gina K.

I am so sorry to read about your difficult situation.

1. You may want to try the Animal Assistance League of Orange County. 714-893-4393. www.aaloc.org They offer assistance with low-income pet owners with emergency vet care and food supplies.

2. You can also try the Orange County SPCA. 714-964-4445. www.orangecountyspca.org

3. You can also try Pet Assistance Foundation. 877-772-9738 www.petassistancefoundation.org They refer pet owners to a select group of vets who offer low-cost services to low-income households as well as those who are unemployed, seniors and/or disabled.

Hope this helps you and your baby.

August 29, 2011 Flag

Is there any vet for little or no cost for cats? My Spirit is really breathing hard like her sides are caving in and she is coughing and has lost weight. I am very worried about her and she needs help.

Load More
Pets HealthJune 18, 2013
Name Ideas for Pediatric Dental Clinic
Name Ideas for Pediatric Dental Clinic
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat getting a check-up from a veterinarian.
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in California
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
🎄