Finding the Value for Your Antique Furniture

Antique Table
Sometimes antique furniture can be worth more than you realize. Check the value of your old furniture before selling or donating these potentially valuable items. This is a guide about finding the value for your antique furniture.

This has been in the family for 50 years that we know of. Can you help?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

My husband auctions part time, and I sometimes clerk for him. In my area, at a general auction this would probably go for around $40. But, if it were at a vintage auction, closer to $60. If in one of those antique malls that the city people come and pay inflated prices for things, it may even for for $100-$120 if in a booth with vintage 1930-1970's items.

You need to know who manufactured it. Look under and behind for markings.

Without markings or names of manufacturer it would be almost impossible to help you as even an experienced antique person may have problems with just this photo.

Markings can be found in different places but look very carefully on the back and on the bottom for any type of name or numbers or symbols.

You will also need several (better) photos, particularly from the front (clear - no person), sides and back. You could take some nice photos and maybe show them to an antique dealer near you as they will know more about furniture from your area.

Here some more pics

Here are more pics

This is a lovely glass cabinet but without maker marks/name it will be very difficult to place a value.

I still believe you should take these pics to antique dealers in your city (along with measurements and any information you have as to where it came from) as most likely it came from somewhere in your area and these dealers will maybe know the maker.

Once you have any more information then you may be able to find a date and more about the value.

I am cleaning out antiques and have no idea what this piece might be worth. We bought it at an auction years ago.

Look under the piece for an manufacturer. That will give you something to get your research started.

Any markings on it? I can't find anything similar online but it is BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

I'm sure you have already checked for markings but it is not unusual for furniture to not have markings.

I feel sure you will have to have this appraised by an expert in this field that can tell you who made it, when it was made, insurance and selling value, as well as where the best place to sell might be located.

If you wish to get an on-line appraisal first - I only know one site that has a very good reputation:

https://www.the … antiques-4127545

How can I find out if an antique table and chairs are worth anything? The chairs all need to be repaired.

By Nel M.

Don't be surprised if your antique dinning room set isn't worth as much as you hoped. Unless it's a really unique brand in mint condition you will find that people can buy a brand new set made in China for less money. I suggest you call around to antique shops and tell them what you have & see if they take consignment furniture. Good Luck!

I don't think it matters if it is worth anything or not. If you like the furniture, or if it is family furniture that has been handed down, and has sentimental value, get it repaired. If you don't like it, then contact antique furniture shops and consignment shops to see what something like it will be worth. I would never trade either of my antique/vintage tables & chair sets for something new made in China. On the photo it looks like a very nice, good quality table. I would do the repairs. Cheap modern things are seldom made to last.

I have an antique dining table and 6 chairs and would like to know how I can find out how valuable they are? They need refinishing. Is there a website where I can get more information from or who would I call?

Ace from Nashville, TN

When you say "antique", could you clarify a bit? Do you mean that they are over 100 years old?

If they are, then they could be very valuable and I would track down an expert before I considered having them refinished.

They were antique & over 25 yrs old when the set was bought in W Germany in 1976.

Editor's Note: To be a real antique, something must be 100 years old or older. This still is a vintage set and over 50 years old. Refinishing furniture quite often lessens the value so I would take some pictures of the set and show them to a vintage furniture dealer to get an idea of the value.

We need to sell a 17th century, upholstered love seat with a pecan wooden carved frame in excellent condition. It is a family heirloom of a good friend from Canada.

By Marilyn

You can try a search online with the specifics of the love seat for possible values, however, there are so many variables with old furniture that may or may not be relevent.

Suggest that you search your local area or nearby cities for auction houses. The auction houses will probably request you bring the love seat to them for their evaluation.

I have an Aberk-lock 3-in-1 chair. I was wondering how much it might be worth and who made it.

By Sharon from Louisville, KY

Anonymous

Are you talking about the 3 in 1 commode type chair or the 3 in 1 step stool or ladder conversion chair?

How much is a #405 Huguenot Dresser worth?

By hock2429 from Woodstock, VA

Why not take it to an appraiser and if you can't take it then take some pictures of the dresser and maybe they could give you a pretty good idea what it would be worth. They may also be able to give you some additional information as well. Sometimes you could find an value in a book but how old is the book and is that value for dressers in excellent condition?

I recently found a table at a thrift store here that was made pre 1920. The company was Arthur A. Marer & Co. from Chicago. I found them online and he died in 1922. The table was beautiful and was made when the company was transitioning into using a type of wood glue and what was almost like panel board. It's starting to come off on the legs, but the wood underneath is solid. The table still looks amazing and it adds a unique quality (except the holes), but is it restorable? And is it worth $250 in the condition it's in? That's the asking price. I would love to know your thoughts. Thank you.

I'm trying to find a price on a Brandt table. We think it's a night stand. The metal plate said it comes from Maryland.