Finding the Value of Compton's Encyclopedias

Category Books
Compton's Encyclopedias
Old printed reference books can be difficult to determine their worth. This guide is about finding the value of Compton's encyclopedias.

I have a partial set of 1944 Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia. It is missing volume 12 of 15. What are they worth?

By R Sheriff

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias and send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Are you still searching for number 12 from the 1944 edition? If so, if I just got it tonight.

What is value of a 15 volume set of 1946 Compton Pictured Encyclopedia, in excellent condition?

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

$10 at flea market

I am interested in pricing information for a complete 15 volume set of Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia 1955?

By Kristy

$50 in good condition.

Seems almost everyone has old books and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

I have a set of 1922 copyright Compton's Pictured Encyclopedias. It includes a half price certificate for ordering updated books. I have all 12 volumes. It is worth anything?

I think it is worth something because it is almost 100 years old and is complete. Go to some dealers who specialize in old books and get estimates.

How much is my Compton's Encyclopedia 1989, 26 Vol. set worth? And if I want to sell them where can I go to do this?

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

How much is the Compton's pictured encyclopedia set from 1931 worth?

By Wendy

I have a set of Compton encyclopedias from 1991. Are they worth anything?

By mscolas

I have the 1947 Compton Picture Encyclopedia, full set in pristine condition. What is the value? Note: includes index book.

By Paula D

I have a set of ten 1929 F.E. Compton's Encyclopedias. I would like to find out about the value of them.

By Brenda

I have a complete set of Compton's Pictured Encyclopedias 1937 edition. Can you tell me if it has any value? They are in excellent shape.

By Bob

It's in excellent condition and has 26 books, do I even have the whole set?

By C. Viera from Coamo, PR

What is the value for volumes in "pristine" condition? It is missing I, J, K, and L, but otherwise I have the balance of the set.

By Roxanne C.

I have 15 books in black binders. Value?

By Jean K from Bedford, TX

Any idea of the value of Compton's pictured encyclopedia? I have a set of ten in great shape, copyright 1922, 1923, 1924.

By AS

I have the whole set in pristine condition. Any idea of its worth? It is a 15 book set. The binding is black with a beautiful raised design.

By Lee

I have a full set, in very good condition. I also have year books ending in 1999. Some of the year books are still wrapped in plastic.
Are they worth anything?

By Cmace

I have a mint condition, 15 volume set of the 1936 edition of Compton's Pictured Encyclopedias. Any idea as to the value, if any, of this set of encyclopedias?

By Edward R.

What is the value of the 1972 golden anniversary edition of Compton Encyclopedia and fact-index? I have all 22 volumes and all books are in great shape.

By John

What is the value of a 1954 edition of Compton's pictured encyclopedia?

By Penny K.

I have a full set of Compton's Pictured Encyclopedias and Fact Index, the 1947 edition. They are in great condition and I have volumes 1 through 15, the full set. I would love to hear some input about these books. If someone knows the value or if I should at least check on the value of them. Thank you so much.

By Christina J

I am wondering about the value of set of Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia with Index from 1922. (I understand that was the first year the Index was published.)

By Susan F.

I have a complete Compton's pictured encyclopedia, 1940 edition. It is in good condition. What is an estimated value for this set?

By Mick