Finding the Value of Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedias

Category Books
Volumes of encyclopedias.
Many homes had these reference books because they were readily available at the supermarket in the 1950s. Although dated, encyclopedias can sometimes be sold in niche markets to crafters and some collectors. This is a guide about finding the value of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias.

I have a set of 1993 Funk & Wagnalls American Eng Assiniboine Encyclopedias. They are in excellent condition. How much would they be worth?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

What are these books worth and how could I go about selling them?

I doubt they have any value. I have books from the late 1700's which have no value except to me. No-one wants reference books, dictionaries or encyclopaedias any more because they have google. There are far too many around for them to be rare enough to be of value. I don't even think charity shops would want them because they could not sell them.

If they were mine, I would make a brief search online, just to check they are not rare and collectible ( highly unlikely). Then I would put them on the wood burner for fuel which would save me more money on my heating bills than any sale would make, because personally I wouldn't want them taking up space.

You however might like them, in which case just keep them for use and for show on your bookshelves.

If you don't want to keep them and can't find anyone who wants them, there are a lot of fun crafts that can be done with old books

https://uk.pint  /old-book-pages/

Having said that, I've since done a search of completed listings on Ebay. Most listings didn't sell, but the odd few did. It may be worth checking the dates of the books that did sell to see if it is worth your while listing your own for sale if yours were published the same date. The ones that sold have the price shown in green

http://www.ebay  md=1&_ipg=50

There is a website called Worthpoint. They have a

free trial. If you have many items to sell it may pay to subscribe. If it's just this,

use the free trial.

Try somewhere that is interested in vintage Americana - some museums and small collections might like to have them, but I'm sure they wouldn't pay a lot.

Most encyclopedias have very little value - even really old volumes so most likely yours would be of insignificant value.

You may be able to find some information on eBay even old sets are very hard to sell and a single volume even more so.

You can research with Google and eBay and you may be lucky enough to have a jewel - wouldn't that be nice??

Are Funk-Wagnalls encyclopedias from 1959 worth anything?

By Diana

Unfortunately, these old encyclopedias do not sell at any price and most thrift stores will not even accept them as a donated item. It's very sad but they went to the wayside when the internet came around.

No!

No. You will never find anyone to take them so just put them out for the trash. Sorry.

I couldn't even get rid of my 1932 encyclopedias.

Maybe you can use them as a "safe" of sorts. Just hollow out a portion of the pages to make a "well" and glue the pages' edges together (but not the front cover or you won't be able to get in it!). Thieves will think it's just a book on a shelf, but you'll be able to hide whatever will fit in the cavities. Just a suggestion.

I have a set of 15, 1959-1965 Funk & Wagnalls Standard Reference Encyclopedias. What are they worth?

What is the value of a full 1979 set of Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias including the dictionaries in perfect condition?

I have 2 sets of encyclopedias and I'm trying to find out how much they are worth. One is a Funk and Wagnalls' Universal Standard. It is a 25 volume set from 1954-55 the second one is a 12 volume Popular Mechanics do it yourself, 1st edition, from 1955. I am looking to get rid of them, but I don't want to cheat myself or anyone else. Thanks.

By B Sheftic

There is a 25 volume set of Funk & Wagnell's from 1959 selling on Ebay for $89.95. This could be a starting place for pricing your books.

I am sorry to say that your chances of selling these sets is probably zero. The information is outdated and they are not nearly old enough to be collectors items. Even if they were they wouldn't bring much. Librarys won't take them. I know because I tried to get rid of my parent's set. I put them in the trash. If you live in an area where this is allowed. put them in a box marked "free" and set them on your curb. If they are not gone in three days put them in the trash.

I had some 1932 encyclopedias that my mother used to teach with and when I tried to sell them in the 70's, I could not get anything out of them at all. It even showed the first tv in it. I hope you have better luck.

I have a full set of these books. I got them at an estate sale. How do I tell what year they were printed? Inside on the first page it says ISBN 0-8343-0025-7, Libary of Congress catalog card number 72-170933.
Thank you.

All you really ahd to do was enter the isbn on google to find out that the book is from 1979: Funk and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia

Formats:

New, Used

Author: Leon L. Bram; Robert S. Phillips; Norma H. Dickey

Year: 1979 Format: Hardcover

ISBN 13: 9780834300255 (978-0-8343-0025-5)

ISBN: 0834300257 (0-8343-0025-7)

They seem to go for about $7 a peice to $60 for a set. This is congruent with my experience of selling these sorts of books in the past.

What is the value of 1950's Funk and Wagnall's encyclopedia set?

By Sandra S.

1950s sets tend to not have a ton of value. They have a book from that set on eBay for $15 but no recent completed auctions to see what people have actually paid for these books.

http://www.ebay  h=item461bce056c

I would say that a set from the 50's has no value. You will be lucky to give it away. Some people make sculptures; some make lamps out of this type of book. It is not old enough to be collectible or an antique. The information is outdated. See if you can find someone who you can give it to for craft projects.

I am questioning the value of: 1939 Webster's Dictionary, good condition, 1926 Winstin's Loose-Leaf Encyclopedia, fair condition, 1948 Funk and Wagnall's new Standard Encyclopedia, good condition, and 1957 World Book Encyclopedia, good condition.

By Paula E.

Unfortunately in here I have read time and again, encyclopaedias no longer have a monetary value, no matter how old and well kept they are. Apparently even thrift stores won't accept them any longer.

This is strickly my opinion but, I think probably they would only be valuable to a collector or to your local library.

Becky H.

I have a complete set of 1975 Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias. I was wondering if they are worth anything and how much.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I would like to know the value of a Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedia set. It has volumes 1 -29. I cannot find a date of print on them, but I would think around the 1960s.

How much is a set of Funk and Wagnalls Company encyclopedias worth? The copyright is 1931 and they are in decent condition.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

I have a complete set of 1948 Funk and Wagnalls New Standard Encyclopedia set that is in very good shape. Is there any value to this set? If so, where would I sell it?

By Diane

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

I have a Funk and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia set from 1980 that I am looking to sell. I would like to find a store that would look at them and tell me their value. Maybe even buy them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Cynthia

Recent Answers:

By cybergrannie [30]08/15/2014

Generally older sets are not very valuable as information is outdated but the photos are still good.

You can check out eBay, Amazon, Google and get some idea as to what others are doing with sets like these. Generally very hard to sell and ship.

Also check out this info:http://www.thri  ip.html#feedback

Sort by:

Relevance

Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets | ThriftyFun

My husband is an auctioneer, and sadly, these books usually bring only a couple dollars. You can access many encyclopedias online, that are updated daily, ...

www.thriftyfun.com/tf13085847.tip.html

I'm wanting to find the value of Funk and Wagnels 1932 - 25 volumes, Britanica 1911 11th edition - 29 leather volumes, and Universal Dictionary of the English Language 1898 - 4 leather volumes.

By Bill A.

Sorry - may not be worth very much but you can check Google, eBay, Craigslist and other sites for information.

What is the worth of a complete set of Funk and Wagnalls New Standard Encyclopedia of Universal Knowledge published on August 11, 1910?

By Paden B.

If you still have them and are willing to sell them please contact me and let me know what your thinking for them. - J. Parker

What is the value of a 1967 Americana encyclopedia? It is a 30 volume value with Funk & Wagnalls dictionaries and a bookcase. It is also in great condition.

By David

What are you looking to get for this set? Interested.

How much is a full set of 1960 Funk and Wagnalls standard reference encycloedia, with 2 dictionaries, and yearbooks of events for 1960-1982, worth?

By DM

Sorry to say they have little, if no value. I manage my church thrift shop and full sets get donated to the shop occasionally. Usually I wind up giving them away for free. Most everyone seems to use the internet these days.

I have three sets of encyclopedias. One is a business encyclopedia and two are sets of Funk and Wagnalls; book sizes are approximately 4' x 6' and the dates on them are circa, 1910.

I have a set of Funk and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia, ahc 4 3 2 1. Any value to these?

By Liz from Rancho Cordova, CA

How much is the 1984 Funk and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia collection 1-30 worth?

By Mary from Butte, MT

I have a set of wildlife encyclopedias published in 1968. What is the value and how do I sell them?

By Stacia G

I have 23 of the 24 books of Funk and Wagnalls Standard Encyclopedia from 1912. Does anyone know the value of these books?

By Sandy N.

How much would a dealer pay for a set of 8 encylopedias from Funk and Wagnalls 1959? The books are in excellent condition.

By Kathy N

I have a Funk and Wagnells partial set from 1931. They are in good condition, what are they worth?

By Darla B

I have a copy of Funk and Wagnalls New Standard Encyclopedia XXVI, Study Index 1 1931. It's a small book; much is it worth? It looks old but is in great shape.

By Elrena B. from Abbeville, LA

I have a set of the New Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias, copyright 1950. Are they worth anything?

By Lana from Atlanta, GA

I have a 1988 edition of the Funk and Wagnalls "New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Family Health. It is in very good condition. They consist of volumes 1 thru 24 and look like they have never been read. Is there any value or interest in this set? How much is it worth?

By B. Kris

Load More