Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding the Value of The Encyclopedia Americana

The value of older reference books is determined by a number of factors. The profusion of encyclopedias and the lack of the currency of their information often render them very low in value. This is a guide about finding the value of the Encyclopedia Americana.

March 1, 2017 Flag

I have a complete set of The Encyclopedia Americana purchased in 1962 and also "Lands and People" Volume 1 - Volume 7, annuals from 1963-1979, Science Annual 1979, Bicentennial Almanac 1776-1976, and the Americana Dictionary. They are all in excellent condition; some have never been opened.

We also have Grolier Encyclopedia year books from 1977-1983.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Your encyclopedias may sell if you list them on Craigslist but probably for a low payment. These do occasionally sell on eBay but may take a very long time to do so. They are also very difficult to ship.

Here is a link that shows what some sets recently sold for on eBay:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

Your Lands and People may be more valuable so you should try these on Craigslist also. here is what some sets recently sold for on eBay:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

March 1, 2017 Flag

I have a set of Encyclopedia Americana plus the year books from 1975 to 1984. I am wanting to know if they are worth anything. All are in excellent condition.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some of these sets can still sell but they are very slow movers and sellers usually have to relist these for months/years.

These sets are also very difficult to ship so you may want to start with a listing on Craigslist and maybe you will be lucky and find a buyer.

eBay is a good place to try and determine the value of sets like this. Here is what is currently listed on eBay:

http://www.ebay  set&_sacat=0

Here is link to what recently sold on eBay:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

August 16, 2016 Flag

Have a 30 volume set of this encyclopedia, 1943 edition. Is it worth anything to collectors? Or is it only of sentimental value?
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

*

Copyright. 1943, Encyclopedia Americana, 30 book set. What are they worth?

August 11, 2015 Flag

I have a complete set of the Encyclopedia Americana; published in 1914. Is it worth anything?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is possible that you may have a set that is worth keeping or selling. Encyclopedias after 1923 are worthless. You can research online for book collectors, check EBay and Craig's List for prices. The site below is a good place to start:

http://www.book  book-values.html

Value is based on how many complete sets are still around and condition. Probably little to no value. I used to work for an historical library and we got calls about these and old bibles all the time.

July 13, 2015 Flag

I have the complete set in very nice condition. I cannot find any information as to their value.
Thank you for any help you may offer!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

January 2, 2015 Flag

What is the value of a set of Encyclopedia Americana along with the several annuals from the 1980s? They are in excellent used condition.

By Marianne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Seems almost everyone has old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

June 18, 2014 Flag

I have a set of the Encyclopedia Americana, volumes 1 - 30. I don't want these books and am wondering where to sell them.

By Leah B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband is an auctioneer, and sadly, these books usually bring only a couple dollars. You can access many encyclopedias online, that are updated daily, so the older ones don't carry much value. Perhaps in another 100 years they may.

January 2, 2012 Flag

I have a complete 30 volume set of the Encyclopedia Americana, 1954 copyright. It is in very good condition. Are they worth any money?

By Gail L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Probably not. No one wants them. You can't give them to charities. You may find someone who wants them for some sort of craft project, that you can give them to. They are not worth anything.

Someone that is interested in that year for personal reasons, ie.....born that year....might be interested put on Craigslist for 50.00 or BO see what happens.

February 25, 2015 Flag

How can I find the value of a set of the Encyclopedia Americana in 32 volumes, copyright 1957?

By Renae H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 1, 2014 Flag

What is the value on encyclopedia Americana 1984 -1986 editions?

By boston

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2014 Flag

I have a set of old encyclopedia Americana volumes 1 to 30. The first issue was published in 1964 by Americana Corporation.

By Nicholas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 24, 2014 Flag

I have a set of 1986 Encyclopedia Americana, published by Grolier Incorporated and would like to know if they're worth selling. If so, where can I sell them?

By Ruth from Queen Creek, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 16, 2014 Flag

I have a complete set of 1905 Encyclopedia Americana. What would their value be?

By Tool Man from Midland, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 23, 2014 Flag

I have a set of Encyclopedia Americana, International Edition, 30 volumes, 1st published 1829, copyright 1965. They are in mint condition. Can you tell me an approximate worth?

By Doris

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 2, 2014 Flag

I have a complete collection of 1936 Americana, volumes 1-30. I want to know if they are worth anything.

By Keith

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2013 Flag

I own the 1973 - 30 volume set of Encyclopedia Americana and annual year books 1973-1993. How much are these worth? Where could I sell them?

By Jake

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 13, 2013 Flag

I have a complete set, 30 volumes, of the Encyclopedia Americana, from 1937, Universal Knowledge. By Americana Corporation 1937, W.B. McConkey Company, printed in U.S.A.
Does anyone know the value of the set? Thank you

By jac

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 26, 2013 Flag

I have a complete set, in excellent condition, of The Encyclopedia Americana, 1959 Edition. Can you tell me it's value and where I would look to sell them? Thank you!

By K Jones

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 16, 2013 Flag

How much would this whole set of the 1955 edition of the Encyclopedia Americana be worth? It is in very good condition, smoke free home for 11 years.

By Ginnie O

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2013 Flag

Could anyone tell me what this set is worth?

I have a complete set of 30 volumes and in very nice condition of 'The Encyclopedia Americana' 1951 edition. These are all hardbound; complete from A to Z.
The editors are: A.H. McDonald, B.L. Editor in Chief (Emeritus)
LAVINIA P. DUDLEY, Litt. D., Executive Editor of Americana Publications
ROBERT C. WALLACE, Ph.D., D.S. c., L.L.D., Editor for Cananda

By Molly A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2013 Flag

I have a complete set of encyclopedia Americana, 1951 edition, volumes 1-15. These books appear never to have been used. They are in the original wooden shipping box, marked, Encyclopedia Americana, Informing a Nation. The original shipping label is on the box. Are these valuable?

By ibewjimmy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 30, 2013 Flag

I have the 30 volume set of the 1923 Encyclopedia Americana. What would the value be for this set? All books are in near mint condition.

By Jay B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksFebruary 25, 2017
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Collier's Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Collier's Encyclopedias
book case with books
Finding the Value of New Popular Encyclopedias
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 2:31:47 AM on 10.0.0.237 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.