Finding the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

My dad gave me an encyclopedia set years ago that belonged to his great-aunt. It is one huge volume that covers A-Z. I'm 50 and my dad would have been 75. I just wondered if this is worth anything?

By Yvonne from OK

Answers:

I would save them and read every one of them. I learned a lot by reading 2 sets. I even found info several years ago for my itching at night in them, I had been to several Drs. They did not know what to give me so I did the above, back then we did not know anything about Benadryl. The info is in the encyclopedias. I had to go back to my Dr and told him what I found. He looked in his book for the info. He wrote me a subscription for it, good luck. (02/09/2010)

By kffrmw88

As time capsules, they are invaluable and will always attract someone who will treasure the nostalgia, especially if the books are in good condition and complete, and old (the older the better)!

For an idea of what people may be paying:
1) look up your set's ISBN, or publisher/author and title on bookfinder.com
2) check eBay. (02/13/2010)

By unFolded

Try looking up a store that sells vintage and second hand books. If this is old enough, it might have some value. There should be a date in the front of the book, along with publishing information. (02/13/2010)

By louel53

I agree with unFolded's advice. There are many people, including myself, who treasure old books and want to see them preserved intact, not mutilated or otherwise destroyed. (02/13/2010)

By Gingembre

I have a set of encyclopedias that I have given to a museum on permanent loan. They were printed since the Wright brothers, because I recall an article predicting the future of the airplane, showing ladies with parasols strolling about on an airplane deck.

I wonder how I would go about determining the value of this set. (05/21/2010)

By genedoug

Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Grolier's Book of Knowledge
Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
🎄