Finding the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

I have an entire set of encyclopaedias that were damaged in a house flood yesterday. They were given to me by my grandmother and are in great condition. They're leather covered and they look expensive. I have an insurance adjuster coming to the house on Thursday to assess the damage and I don't have the slightest clue on what they would be worth. I would like to know the value of them to make sure that I'm not ripped off by some of these dishonest insurance companies because they obviously cannot replace the sentimental value.

By Kel from Mississauga, Ontario

Answers:

I don't believe the value of water damaged encyclopedias would be very high. With easy access to large amounts up dated information through the internet makes encyclopedia sort of obsolete. Don't be surprised if the adjuster makes a low ball offer. (01/20/2011)

By foxrun41

I agree with Foxrun, not worth a lot. But, I kind of wish I would have kept my mother's set, she bought them in 1932 when she was going to teach country school. I learned my alphabet from them actually, only I learned it backwards because it is natural for kids when they are learning to read to go from right to left. So when I started school, I could say my alphabet both backwards and forwards. LOL. Sorry I wandered off on a tangent! (01/20/2011)

By Laniegirl

Unfortunately, the encyclopedia has more intrinsic value than a monetary one, even if in excellent condition and not water damaged. Even before the internet it was difficult to give a set away. (01/21/2011)

By sweetsoo

Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Grolier's Book of Knowledge
Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
🎄