Fix a Squeaky Shoe

How do you stop leather shoes from creaking or squeaking when you walk? I have 2 pairs of the same style and both pairs have developed an irritating squeak.

Joanie from South Africa

Baby Powder

A very big THANK YOU to all those kind people who helped with suggestions on how to rid my leather shoes of their squeaks. The baby powder definitely seemed to work for the major part of the day - tonight I will take a hammer to the heels. (03/30/2006)

By Joanie West

Petroleum Jelly

My expensive Leather Reeboks sometime squeak. So I carefully remove the inner foam cushion of the shoe and apply a THIN film of petroleum jelly or Lip balm to the outer edges only (where it tends to rub). Re-insert the cushion and; Thats it! It tends to get rid of All or most of the squeaks. (04/25/2006)

By Adam D

Baby Powder

I was already to drop off my squeaky Johnston & Murphy shoes at a repair shop when I came across this site and decided to try the powder trick first. I removed the inner cushion sole's from both shoes and sprinkled in some Mexsana powder, and behold -instant success! Now I don't have to walk around the office as if I'm auditioning for John Cleese's "Ministry of Silly Walks". Although, for a few hours there is that cloud of white dust that, with every step, puffed out of the shoes. Perhaps less is more. (06/22/2006)

By Glenn

Use Vaseline. My shoes squeaked b/c the insert was rubbing against the bottom and/or side of the shoe. Baby powder works well, but it usually only lasts for one use, b/c it gets absorbed. I coated the sides of the insert with vaseline and it worked great. I've worn them about ten times since then, and no more squeaks. I can walk my office hallways again. (06/27/2006)

Piece of tape worked like a charm on a pair of Danner Acadia Service boots. (07/02/2006)

By jake

I wore a new pair to office and it started squeaking! I came to your site for a quick fix. I first narrowed down the cause of the squeak to the inner lining rubbing against my toe nails. The only thing close to vaseline that I had with me in office was my lip balm... And guess what it worked!!! I rubbed a bit on the areas on my foot and waited for a min and viola! no squeaks.. (07/09/2006)

By Rose

Lip Balm

Lip balm in the space between the leather upper and the rubber sole was the answer to my prayers! (07/24/2006)

By Kimberly

I've been desperately trying to "wear in" a pair of beautiful green suede L.K. Bennet sling backs for a wedding to get rid of a horrendous squeaking and creaking from both shoes and it was making no difference. Found this site, tried a thin layer of vaseline inside the upper and its stopped... just like that! Fantastic! (07/27/2006)

By Christine

Squeaking Jordan's

I own a pair of Nike Jordan 23's; an expensive shoe that has been annoying me for two years now (I actually stopped wearing them because they squeaked so loudly). I slowly peeled back the inner sole and found that the shoes have a air hole in the front and in the back of the shoe. It would appear that when these holes actually get air forced in from the weight of the foot pressing up against the sole as you walk, the entire sole fills with air and produces a horrible squeak. I had originally tried the petroleum jelly thing and lip balm, but only after I put an ample of amount of powder on the inner sole (making sure I completely covered it), that is when the squeaking stopped. I then put the lining back in and everything is now quiet. (07/27/2006)

By Nike Jordan owners

I've been trying to break in these really comfy, but really squeaky shoes for weeks. My only choice is to try and stomp louder than they squeak! I had Vaseline lip balm at my desk and I put that around the heel lining, and it appears to be working! Hopefully this will stay fixed now. Thanks! (08/15/2006)

By Jessica

I start my first day of work at my first job tonight, and I just noticed my new shoes squeak like nuts! Thanks to everyone for the tips, vaseline seems to be working really well. My friend also suggested water, for a quick fix if you don't have any vaseline or baby powder on you, just wipe a little water over the bottoms. Works for a very limited amount of time though. (08/22/2006)

By Katie

Petroleum Jelly

Wow, I can't believe it. I put petroleum jelly all over the outside of my brand new leather squeaky shoes and immediately they have stopped squeaking. Yeah! (09/05/2006)

By Squeak Free

Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair