Fixing Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Category Food Fixes
Close up image of red pasta sauce cooking in pan
Spaghetti sauce is notorious for burning if not well tended to. Removing the burnt taste can save your sauce. This is a guide about fixing a burnt flavor in spaghetti sauce.

How do you remove the burnt taste from spaghetti sauce?

By Deedee from Stamford, CT

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

I have used cut up potatoes to remove any kind of over seasoning. You could try that. Also a secret with home cooking soups and stews at restaurants is to not stir past half of your pot ever. The burned stuff will stay in the bottom and not move. Hope I helped.

How do I use peanut butter to remove the burnt taste from spaghetti sauce?

Rebecca from Oak Harbor, WA

Answers:

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

The burnt flavor is gone, but it still smells burnt, so the peanut butter took care of half the problem. (11/13/2007)

By Judi

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

I tried the potato and the peanut butter trick. It helped a bit, but not fully. Better than nothing.(12/30/2007)

By Willie

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

It works in homemade soup, also. I just tried it in turkey soup and it worked 100%. (01/20/2008)

By Nola

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Touchdown! Here it is SuperBowl Sunday and I had a bunch of people coming over for the game and spaghetti. I needed a lot of sauce so I used a cheaper pot (because it was very large) and ended up burning the sauce pretty badly. I had no time to re-fix the meal so I took everyone's advice and it saved the day. I had to put about 5 tablespoons of peanut butter in my sauce because there was so much of it. Thanks for the great advice! (02/03/2008)

By Lizabeth

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Thanks for the tip. Peanut butter saved my son's birthday dinner! (04/13/2008)

By Christine

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

We just used it to rescue a double batch of lasagna sauce on Christmas day, and it worked like a charm. We ended up adding almost 5 tablespoons of peanut butter to a dutch oven-size pot and while the sauce changed color for sure, no one tasted the peanut butter and no one tasted the burn. I suggest stirring in a tablespoon, waiting about three minutes, then tasting. Repeat this until the burned flavor is gone. This was a great tip, thank you so much! (12/25/2008)

By Mike L.

I made spaghetti sauce last night which I cook all day. The sauce burnt to the bottom of the pan. Now, the sauce has a burnt flavor. How do I get rid of the aroma and flavor of the burnt sauce?

Thanks,
Terrie

Answers:

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Whenever anything gets scorched on the bottom of the pan, empty the pan of sauce before stirring. that seems to keep the burnt flavor from getting into the whole pan full of sauce. (08/15/2005)

By Diamondee

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Carefully pour the sauce into another pot be careful not to scrape the burnt bottom then add one hole potato pealed. Cook on low. This works for a lot of burnt items. (08/15/2005)

By Dgrams

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Believe it or not this really works...add a spoon of peanut butter to your sauce. I have had to do this many times and it does remove the burnt taste. Don't know why it works but it does. I was afraid to try it but when I made a restaurant batch of sauce and burnt it I figured I had nothing to loose so I tried it and it worked. (08/16/2005)

By gentlehrtd

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

FOR THE SMELL PUT A VINEGAR IN THE POT BUT FIRST TRANSFER THE SAUCE TO ANOTHER POT. IT WILL REMOVE THE SMELL FROM THE BURNT POT. (08/16/2005)

By CONNIE

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Just don't burn it.cook it on low. If you do burn it than just add some water in it and stir it on low for about a min or 2 and then season it. It works. Good luck! (09/14/2005)

By don't worry bout it

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

The peanut butter suggestion does do the trick. I just tried it! (01/30/2006)

By casey-red

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

We just tried the peanut butter trick and it did not work at all. :-( (10/18/2006)

By D.Granite

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

I made 2 double batches of sauce and the batch in the cheap pan did scorch to the bottom before I realized it. I did stir the sauce but did not scrape the burnt bottom. It smelled and tasted burnt. I figured I had nothing to loose so I tried this and to my surprise it really did work. It was a large pan so I added a couple tablespoons of peanut butter :) (02/04/2007)

By Maria G

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

I just tried the peanut butter to the double batch of spaghetti sauce that I am making. I added 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter because of the amount of sauce. It seems to have take the burnt taste out of the sauce. I am simmering it on LOW right now and will keep taste-testing. Sure saved a lot of time, work and money with all the meatballs, too! Thank you!! :) (02/23/2007)

By Diane

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Thanks peanut butter did the trick, 5 gallons saved 3 teaspoons no one is the wiser. (04/05/2007)

By highlight film

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

REMEMBER.

Many people are terribly, deadly allergic to peanuts so make sure you tell people that your sauce contains peanut butter. (05/02/2007)

By Stephanie

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Thank you -- It's not too bad. It's edible, but there's still a burnt flavor. Not company food, but the boys will still eat it. Chicken caccitore just can not be prepared in a pressure cooker! Maybe when it sits for a while and the obnoxious odor is out of the kitchen it will taste better.

You saved the day (06/17/2007)

By Justine

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

I was very hesitant to try it for fear that you would taste the peanut butter because both my husband and myself don't care for peanut butter, but low and behold it worked. I will tell everyone I know about this trick - especially my father - he burns the chili every year during deer season at camp. (09/15/2007)

By Donna

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Just tried the peanut butter suggestion. It worked! How did someone ever think of something like that! I've heard of putting a lot of seasonings in spaghetti sauce but never peanut butter! The potato is a good suggestion also! Great if you've put too much salt in a recipe too.
Thanks for the great tip. (09/27/2007)

By Gail

Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce

Well it worked, but you have to let it sit for a bit if you taste it right away it still tastes burnt.

After a few minutes the burnt flavor is gone. I too was afraid to do it so tried it on a little. Thank goodness it worked it was a really big batch of sauce. (10/07/2007)

By Annie