Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile

Over time ceramic tiles can become damaged and you may not have matching replacement tiles. This guide is about fixing cracks in ceramic floor tiles.

June 7, 2011 Flag

How do you repair ceramic tile without having to remove the whole tile? I would like to have the repaired spot look the same color.

By M. Morris

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have often done this, but I do a lot of crafts and have all the supplies on hand. It could be more difficult if you had to buy all the supplies (and buy a matching colour without having a sample to take with you). I fill the crack or chip with air-hardening clay (slightly over-filling as it does shrink a bit as it dries. When it is dry, I sand the filling level with the surface of the tile, then mix a colour to match with my acrylic artists paints. After painting (usually 2 coats, depending on the coverage), I apply a matching varnish (gloss or low sheen according to the finish on the tile).

In place of air-drying clay, you could also use another filler, whatever you have on hand.

October 13, 2008 Flag

I have several ceramic floor tiles that have fine cracks and some pieces of the surface chipped off. Is there a material that I could use to fill these cracks and dents. I would like to be able to add a color to attempt to match the tile. Thanks for any advice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use tile grout to fill in the cracks. Go to any good tile store and you can get grout in almost any color these days. They have these little sticks that you can check out and take home to match against your tile to find a matching color. Good luck.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Stone and TileJune 16, 2013
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Painting Ceramic Tile
Painting Ceramic Tile
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
🎉
🎄