Fixing Squeaky Sandals

Category Clothing
Yellow and blue strappy sandals against a white background
Squeaky sandals can be truly annoying to listen to and sometimes difficult to fix. This is a guide to fixing squeaky sandals.

My new sandals squeak when I walk. This happens even when everything is dry. What can I do to get rid of the squeak?

By Lynn from Ayr, Ontario

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Squeaky sandals ... mine actually sounded like little kids blowing air into their palms or arms to make a mock ... well, you know. I couldn't pull up the sole (from sandals?), I wasn't going to slather vaseline on them and be sliding around, I didn't want to poke holes in brand new sandals or pour glue in them. I just figured out that a half a tissue folded and placed discretely between my arch and the sole was all I needed. Eventually I didn't even need the tissue.

Best Answer

I've heard that if you put some baby powder or WD-40 on the squeaky part, that will fix it.

OMG it worked. I took a paper towel folded it long way and put it inside my shoe making sure it touched under the ball of my foot and Arch my shoes don't squeak anymore

Hello you can get rid of this by using the sandals alot cause the same thing happened to me they were squeaking for over 5 days but then it started to stop.I really hope this does help your problem.

Thank you, it worked immediately on my new sandals! As a safeguard to prevent the tissue from moving off the position I want it to be, I taped it down on the sandal.

I have a pair of leather sandals that squeak when I walk. I have tried rubbing hand cream in, but that didn't work. I think the problem is that I can't get the cream in between the lining and sole as it is stitched all around. It squeaks when I bend the sole up with my hands. Has anybody had this problem and managed to fix it?

Sue from Gosford NSW

Best Answer

Dust with talcum powder.

When the doctor gave me my orthodics, they squeeked and I was told to dust them with talcum powder. It did the trick!

Sometimes it just takes wearing them awhile to break them in and get the leather conditioned. Wear them around the house for a bit.

I have heard to use talcum powder for squeaking floor boards. Wonder if you could use that? Being powder it might be easier to get in there easier. Only thing I would worry about is if it would cause the leather to dry out prematurely. I think I would call a cobbler/shoe repair shop and see if they have any tricks to try.

I have always used baby powder. It provides immediate squeak relief, plus it keeps your feet smelling fresh!

You could try soaking them in warm water for an hour or so, then towel drying, then wearing them around till almost dry... We used to do this in the 60's with handmade imported sandals made in Mexico or India.

Anonymous

For wedges, I used a thick sewing needle, pierced the insoles in several dozen places, generously powdering the insole and rubbed it in then walked and stomped a bit to get powder between insole and wooden platform. It worked!

I read all of the responses about fixing a squeaky shoe, but none seem to apply to me. Mine are 3 inch wedge sandals that squeak. There is no lining to remove. Any ideas?

By Debbie from Spokane, WA

My ex husband used to sell shoes and he said when you have a squeaky shoe or sandal that means that the metal shank is broken and cannot be fixed. The shank runs down the middle of the bottom of the shoe/sandal. Sorry for not having better news.

Are they wood? I know that you can sprinkle talc between wood planks on floors to prevent squeaking. Good luck.

How do I fix squeaky wedge sandals? The insoles do not come off and I've applied Vaseline on the wedges, it is still making squeaky noises.

By sk from NY

Answers:

Squeaking Sandals

I've read that (baby) powder works. They use in for creaky floors. (05/20/2010)

By keeper60

Squeaking Sandals

I have had this problem and I cut a hole in the sole or the bottom of the shoe and squeezed super glue in and it helped. (05/20/2010)

By sulevia

Squeaking Sandals

My ex used to sell shoes and he said that when shoes squeak, it means the shank of the shoe is broken and nothing can be done. The shank is in the middle of the shoe, between the heel and the ball. (05/24/2010)

By metroplex

I bought cheap sandals at Payless. They squeak horribly, but the inner sole is permanently attached. I am making too much noise at work. Help me.

Amanda from Fresno, CA

Answers:

Squeaking Sandals

Oh, dear. I had the same thing happen with "many" pairs of work sandals, and mine were not from Payless, but were all name brands. It was so embarrassing at the office. I finally decided not to buy any more of those rubbery-soft wedges. There's just something about them that does that, and I don't think they're fixable. I even tried beating them with a hammer. For this summer, I found some Dockers sandals that look reasonably businesslike and have leather-covered wedges made from a slightly more rigid material. They're still quite comfortable. I've been wearing them over a month now, and no sign of a squeak. (06/25/2008)

By chretienne

Squeaking Sandals

I have the same problem. I found three things that help. One is to dust a bit of powder on the shoe in the morning. Two is to fit those little "footsies" on and most people don't notice. And third, you can use double back tape to put in non skid shoe inserts. Good luck. (06/25/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Squeaking Sandals

Try using WD-40 or a silicone based lubricant. You may have a slight odor, but it is worth a try. (06/25/2008)

By Anthony

Squeaking Sandals

I once read if you poke the bottoms with a needle and make a bunch of little "holes" it'll stop the squeak.
I'd use a larger needle so you actually get a hole, though, of course, it's not really big enough to see. (06/26/2008)

By carolb

Squeaking Sandals

Just rub Vaseline all over the sole (inside of the sandal) wherever you think it's making noise. It worked on my strappy high heeled sandal. Good luck. (01/07/2009)

By Shalini