Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

My TV Remote has some buttons that don't work anymore. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts, but certain buttons barely work, the ones used most often.

Does anyone know how to get those button contacts, on the underside, to make good contact again with the PC board inside the remote?

DoctorBill from Spokane, WA

Answers:

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

Why bother fixing it? You can buy a new universal remote for $10. (09/20/2007)

By me

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

When my TV remote had the non-functioning buttons, I found a "free" one through an electronic retail store. Watch the Sunday circular ads, many times one of the stores will have a multi-function remote that is free after rebates (yes, you pay sales tax and sometimes a stamp for the rebate offer). BTW great job fixing the one you have. I am not sure if you tried a pencil eraser, but they tend to be the best way to clean contacts. (09/20/2007)

By Remote Control

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

We bought a new universal remote at Big Lots for $6.00. (09/21/2007)

By Carol in PA

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

There are repair kits available for your problem. Please follow link: http://www.remotecontrolsinc.com/keypad_repair_kit.aspx (12/18/2007)

By Ben

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

I had my remote apart and discovered the greasy substance doctorbill mentioned. My repair guy told me that grease comes from our hands. It goes through the rubber buttons by osmosis. That's why you notice it mostly under the buttons you use the most. The remote I took apart is one we've used for years. You can clean it, if you're careful, with an ammonia/detergent solution (mild). What I don't know yet is whether I should treat the cleaned surface with anything. (12/24/2007)

By Harold

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

My new digital TV quit working after 8 mos. and I was devastated. One of my friends told me to clean around every button on my remote because sometimes if something is there, it can cause these newer TV's not to work. I thought they were crazy. But I took a toothpick and went around every button very carefully and found some sticky substance under one of the buttons. I cleaned them all and tried it, and guess what? Yep, my TV came on and hasn't given me any more trouble at all. Try this first because it's cheaper than the repair shop! (01/12/2009)

By Cynthia M.

Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

By me (Guest Post)

"Why bother fixing it? You can buy a new universal remote for 10." Because universal remotes often leave out key features unless programmed from the dedicated remote. I have this pain of a problem with my DVDR where to get the skip chapter function or toggling among 480p, 720p, 1080i are absent without programming a key directly. I use a universal remote for TV, DVDR, and stereo system but miss those nice features. (12/09/2010)

By rickevans033050

Remote Control on White Background
Cleaning a Remote Control
Remote Control Holder
Making a Remote Control Holder
Universal Remote
Programming a Universal Remote
Remote Car Alarm
Using a Remote Car Alarm
Garage Door Remote Opener
Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working
🎉
🎄