Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light

Not knowing one thing about electricity and wiring, I have run into a problem. I have a fluorescent light ceiling fixture that both tubes have gone bad at the same time, or there is some other problem that I know nothing about. I have checked my circuit breakers and that's not the problem. Can someone help.

Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light

It is probably something called a ballast. This is a part that someone with some electrical skill can change, but it is a little more complicated than changing a bulb. (08/21/2004)

By Linda

Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light

It could be the ballast, but if one of the tubes goes bad in many / most cases they will both go out. I'd suggest changing the tubes first and see what happens; most likely that will solve your problem and it's a lot less trouble than changing the ballast. (08/25/2004)

By Alph

Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Fixing Fluorescent Lights