Fixing a Sagging Couch

Category Sofas
Sagging Couch
Over time and with continued usage your couch may begin to sag. This is a guide about fixing a sagging couch.

I would appreciate professional advice about my old sofa set that sags badly. I tried replacing the seat cushions, but that did not improve the situation. At first I thought that the springs are coil springs, but it turned out that they are actually what they call, conical springs. They look beautifully in tact, nothing looks loose or out of place.

The frame is of a very good hard wood and looks perfect. I have not found any upholsterer here who knows how to adjust the tension, if that would be possible at all. I would appreciate your advice very much.
Thank you.

By laleh from Abu Dhabi, UAE

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try putting a piece of fairly thick plywood (3/4 inch) under the cushions. Use a solid piece that covers the full length of the sofa.

Yup - my parents put a board under their slightly sagging sofa cushions & voila! It was fine.

I have a sectional sofa that needs repair to the sagging springs in the seats. I have been looking for someone to repair it and have had no luck. Could someone recommend a business in the San Francisco Area.

If not, is there a manual on how to do the work myself? Does anyone have any tips? I've been working on this for some time now and am getting frustrated. I haven't had any luck on the internet, so far.

Thanks for your help.

Bob from San Francisco

Look under upholstery repair in the yellow pages, You can buy new spring units and do it yourself or take it to a upholstery repair shop and they will replace them. http://www.goog  nG=Google+Search

Jill

Go to your local library and get a book on upholstery. The instructions for replacing springs should be in there.

That was my suggestion too - a book from the library on upholstry! You may not need to replace the springs - usually these are sew to strips of hessian or other heavy material which may have come adrift and you may just need to replace the hessian. You will have to start by taking the base off the chair - some are solid, some are fabric and having a look. Upholstry is not difficult - you just need to be methodical in dismantling the interior of the chair and replacing everything in reverse order. The books usually have a section in the back for upholstry supplies, like hessian strips, springs, upholstry needles, so try to get a locally written one who will recommend local suppliers.

Regards

Jo

The lever on the left side of my reclining love seat broke.

Can I get a new one?

My Cat has Clawed the Corners of my Sofa can someone tell me if it is possible to fix this without having to get it completely reupholstered?

my sofa is a three seater. one end has a sagging seat. any suggestions on how to repair. I am a do-it-yourselfer.

the legs of my sofa broke. how much will cost to replace them? (small legs) 2" tall""

I repaired the wood frame on my love seat but now I don't how to reconnect the flat springs onto the opposite side.

Can anything be done for couch cushions that are old and no longer have support when I lie on couch. They are foam inside. I feel like I am almost on the floor. Thank you.

By Sarah

You can buy new foam cushions. Some fabric stores and hardware stores have all different thicknesses of foam and will cut it to size.

There are three answers I can think of. The one suggested earlier by redhatterb. The second would be there are support pads you can buy specifically for furniture with cushion issues. These are kind of a novelty item like other "As Seen On TV" items are.

The third and probably cheapest solution is to get a piece of plywood, cut it to fit under the areas the cushions cover and put it under the cushions. This is the same type of thing you can do to a bed that is no longer supportive.

You could also purchase pillows to put under the cushions to give them support. Be creative, use blankets you have stored for winter. Fold them up and place them under the cushions or fold them to lay across the couch under the cushions. Same with Winter clothes, wrap them in a towel or an old sheet so they don't individually fall out.

It is not likely the foam cushions that are at fault, but the springs and wooden supports that make up the couch. Springs can become unhooked and wooden pieces can break. The board or other support item under the cushions is likely your easiest fix. I would bet you don't need to replace the cushions.

Where can I find or purchase sofa panels or seat savers in Rhode Island?

By Ileana V.

lillianvernon.com

Are you talking about the ones they advertise on TV? Wal-mart sells them in their As Seen on TV section, Wal-Greens probably sells them too. Any place that has that section in their store probably sells them or will be soon.

Or you can measure the sofa/chair and get the d-i-y centre to cut a piece of thickish plywood/MDF for you. Works the same and is cheaper.

As I was sitting down on the wedge piece of a couch I heard a loud crack and the couch sags a little now. What happened and can it be fixed?

By Andy G.

The S springs in my couch are broken at the ends. Where do I find those parts to repair the sagging in the couch?

By Mac5267 from Raleigh, NC

Answers:

Fixing a Sagging Couch

My husband said to put a piece of plywood in it and maybe it will work. If all else fails contact the place that you purchased it from, and ask about parts or go online with the brand name, etc. Hope this helps, and God bless. (05/03/2009)

By CBLAISDELL

Fixing a Sagging Couch

Take one of the springs for a sample and try the hardware store or one of the big home improvement stores. Someone there should be able to help you find the right spring. (05/09/2009)

By Lily May

Fixing a Sagging Couch

You won't find those type of springs at a hardware store. Most of your upholsters won't have them either, because they hardly ever break. Best bet is to go to diyupholsterysupply.com, they sell the springs $1.30 per foot. Just measure a spring that is not broken and let them know how long you need it. They also carry the clips that the ends of the springs go into, if you need them.

David M. (05/19/2009)

By drdave1972