Fixing a Straw Hat

Category Clothing
Straw Hat
A favorite woven straw hat can be used for a long time with some care and maintenance. This is a guide about fixing a straw hat.

Old Straw Hat

Old Straw Hat

Now you can't say MY husband isn't frugal! I finally burned it one day when he was gone or he would still be wearing it!

By Glenn's Mom from Elgin, OR

Don't toss a good straw hat that has gotten out of shape over the winter! Almost all straw hats can be put back into shape by wetting them slightly, then gently pulling and pushing them into the proper shapes before letting dry.

I wear a straw hat when outside to protect my eyes and face. I walk a mile every day, as well as, work in my garden, and flower beds. Instead of buying a new one when my hat has gotten torn in places, I fixed it with hot glue. The hat works like a new one and saves money.

It's the time of year for straw hats - which need a special sort of care to live long and prosper. If they have become creased, you can restore them to their original shape (or tweak it a little) by spraying it with water and easing it back into shape with your hands and then letting it dry. It's also probably good to keep them from getting too dry - in which case they can split. If splits do occur - as they do especially in the finer Panama's - some of them CAN be mended with either clear surgical tape or white medical adhesive IF the split is inside the crown or in some other less conspicuous area. Put the tape inside and gently ease the split closed. That way your panama will last several more seasons as your less-then-Sunday-go-to-meeting straw - My hats tend to recycle downwards season to season until they become boat hats!