Fixing a Toilet Clogged By Paper Towels

Category Plumbing
One or two paper towels might easily flush down the toilet, however if someone puts a larger number down it will probably clog the plumbing. This is a guide about fixing a toilet clogged by paper towels.

My daughter has used a load of paper towels and put them in the toilet. Come to find out she has been doing it for a while. Now my toilet is clogged up. Can someone help me please?

By Lady Jay from Jacksonville, FL

Best Answer

What you need is called a snake. They come with enough length to go from the toilet to the street. You may be able to rent one from a home box store or a tool rental company. Otherwise let nature take its course and evenually the paper will dissipate on its own.

Best Answer

Try that once a month septic granules, I think it's called rid-x. It has enzymes that break down matter in a septic system so it should work for the paper towel clog.

Good luck !

Anonymous

You can rent or purchase a plumbing snake and then make your daughter pay for the cost out of her allowance. ;-)

I hope you have talked to her about proper use and disposal of paper towels. If necessary, remove the roll from the bathroom. Prevention beats cure any time

Anonymous

I am adding a P.S. I doubt that since it's paper towels you will need anything more than a snake but thought I would tell you why you should make her pay for it and that is because lessons sink in faster when it hurts the pocket book. I know this first hand because when I was a teen I used to throw Q-Tips in the toilet. Well, a snake won't break those up and I had to pay the plumbing bill for the toilet to be taken off, the Q-Tips removed from the drain and the toilet reseated. Perhaps you should make it clear to your daughter that 'nothing' should be thrown in to the toilet except TP. Even too much Kleenex can clog some toilets and drains. ;-)

The only answer is to go buy CLR Power Plumber. It really works, and it is effortless.

In addition to the suggestions about things to not flush, never put a cleaning sponge in unless it has a handle so it won't go down. I tossed in a scrubby backed sponge with the intention of cleaning some stains off the toilet bowl, and the toilet immediately swallowed it down. We ended up paying the plumber over $100 to push it out with a plumber's snake.

just pour lot 'lactic acid' which can be in any toilet cleaner, depending on the mass of tissue to get dissolved and flush after a hour or may be :)

My toilet is blocked with disposable towels.

Jill

Best Answer

Well, get yourself a snake from the local hardware store or farm store. You will use this enough to pay for it many times before hiring a plumber. If this is a severe problem, get the plumber. Sometimes you might find a handy neighbor or someone from church who can assist you.

DO NOT PUT disposable towels in the toilet. No diaper wipes, fabrics, etc. Flushable belongs to toilet paper only. With the plumbing you may have things caught in it all the way to the street. Trust me, our sewer just froze in the yard and we have been doing clean up from it doing a return visit. The plumber, after hours fee and the follow up was not a bad price. Better than digging up your yard to follow the plugged line. That would be about $1000 instead of the #125 I paid. We also paid for a camera to be put down the next week so we could see extent of any damage, condition of the pipes (house is 100 yrs old) and it was pristine! I do not allow anything except a specific brand of TP used, and all other flushables (so the boxes say) must be trash basketed.

Best Answer

If the clog does not yield to a plunger, try a garden hose, using a gun-type nozzle to blast a jet of water up the trap of the toilet. Failing that you might have luck with a toilet snake.

What type of toilet paper do you use so that it goes through the plumbing system easier. T&T Grandma?

I'm with T&T Grandma - be careful what you flush! I've known folks who wouldn't flush unless there was solid waste. A gal I knew even had a cute little sign to advise visitors not to flush without good reason! At risk of offending, I'll repeat it here: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

As long as my spendthrift hubby isn't around to complain, I tend to flush every second or third trip, unless it's necessary for reasons stated above. I also minimize the amount of toilet paper I use, although others might prefer to put toilet paper that's only wet into the trash can instead.

Not trying to gross anyone out, just trying to help where I can.

A friend's daughter flushed a full package of facial wipes down my toilet last winter. They clogged my toilet so badly that the pipes all froze just outside the walls of my house. We were without any plumbing for several months, as the plumber couldn't get the wad of wipes thawed until spring. I live in Canada...very cold. The wad cracked my sewer pipe outside the wall and we had to have the front yard dug up to replace the sewer line! Cost me $23,000! plus a basement flooded with waste as all the "stuff" that was backed up behind them thawed and had no place to go but into my basement. I am very low income and am STILL paying for the plumbing job! GOOD LUCK!