Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

We recently moved into a new house that has ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. During the set up of my son's bed, the ceiling fan was hit and now it wobbles. How can I repair that we can use the fan? Right now it wobbles so much that I'm afraid it will break the the light fixture.

Melissa from Globe, AZ

Answers:

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

I asked my hubby about this one and he says try putting new blades on the fan. (06/13/2008)

By Lorelei

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

I also have fans that wobble, on the ceilings. I just put a piece of folded cardboard, or something like that between the top of the fan and the ceiling until it doesn't wobble. It works for me. LOL Good Luck. (06/13/2008)

By Andrea

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

There is a way to balance them again. It has something to do with tying strings and a weight to them and seeing how they hang to get the bad blade back in shape. You should try looking it up somewhere else. A handiman showed me how to do it years ago and I can't remember just what it was. (06/13/2008)

By Rae

dickens1

I agree that they need better balance, so see if adding weight to the blades will do the trick. When in doubt, go to a lighting store and ask for advice. (06/13/2008)

By Allison5

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

You can clamp a small weight to one of the blades and then turn the fan on to see if the wobble is better/worse. Try clamping the weight to the other blades until you are satisfied that it is not wobbling as much anymore; all ceiling fans will wobble a little bit.
The weight trial-and-error method actually comes in the instructions for new fans. We just put up about a dozen fans in our house in the last year or so. Each kit came with a small weighted clamp. Yep, this here's the method that the pros use! (06/14/2008)

By TWDiggs

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

Each fan blade is attached at two different points. They have a few screws that attach the blade to a mount and the mount typically has one small bolt that attaches to the fan motor. Once "bumped" the blade probably shifted out of position and now the fan in unbalanced. Look at the blade that was bumped and make sure it is in the right position. If it is not an obvious shift, measuring the distance from the tip of one blade to the other can tell you if any of the blades are too close to each other making the fan unbalanced. Good luck. (06/14/2008)

By Pete

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

I wedged toothpicks between the ceiling fan and the ceiling to firm up the contact with the ceiling. It probably isn't properly balanced, but it isn't wobbling! (06/14/2008)

By donnap99

Fixing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan

Trying different weights should do the job. I think various coins are best, everyone has them and they are cheap.

Each denomination weighs a different amount so that's handy. Distance from the hub to where coin is attached makes a difference too, so a lot of experimentation may be required. The weights are most effective if placed at the blade's outer edge, but adjustments may be needed. Just move the weight inboard and try again.

So, make a game or contest over who can do the better job. It doesn't have to be that awful four-letter-word w-o-r-k.

Initially I use Scotch tape to fix the coin to the upper side of a blade. Once you're satisfied that you have the right balance, use a more permanent method, such as the two-part glues; maybe "Gorilla Glue", it's good. (08/02/2008)

By tomatohanger

Repairing a ceiling fan.
Repairing a Ceiling Fan
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Loud Bathroom Fan
Fixing a Loud Bathroom Fan
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎄
🍂