Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

How to fix bed sheets? I need general instructions on how to fix elastic that is stretched out on the edges of a fitted bed sheet.

Lynn

Answers:

My mom just did this to my sheets. She sewed an extra piece of material about 1 inch wide around the head and foot part of the sheet. We then ran a long piece of elastic through it, used safety pins to hold it in place until I found the right amount of tension to keep them on. Stitch to hold. (10/27/2004)

By mdjbe

I use the elastic sheet holders. You can buy them at Walmart and I usually pick mine up at any store or yard sale or thrift store that has them for less. You simply attach them to the top and side portion of the sheet across the corner and put the sheet on the bed. I find for my husband who slides into bed that these work to keep even the fitted sheets on the bed. (10/28/2004)

By Sandy

I fixed my son's sheets by taking a strip of elastic and stretching it out as I sewed it along the corners of the sheets. I also made custom crib sheets for my niece and granddaughter's cribs. (11/01/2004)

By Diana

I am reminded about an old trick my mother used to keep the sheets of bunk beds from coming off. I use it to keep my two year old from ripping her fitted sheet off her mattress every single night.
Use a real pair of suspenders and attach to the fitted sheet across the bottom of the mattress. Your fitted sheet corners will never come off again, no matter how old the sheet. (11/06/2004)

By Bettymaze

The fastest way is to take 1/4 inch elastic, and sew it right over the old elastic, stretching the elastic as you go. Sometimes you can get elastic at a great price, and if the sheets are excellent quality, you could go all around the edges so that it tucks in all around the sides as well as the top and bottom. I've saved quite a few lovely sets of sheets this way, from friends giving me their old ones when they redecorate.

Laura in NH (09/13/2005)

By DDSS2000

Fitted Top Sheet

My great aunt once bought sheet sets that had the top sheet sewn to the bottom fitted. As you can imagine, this was great. I have since searched for these types of sheets, but have never found them either. Is there anyone on the web site that can help either Peggy or me? Thanks. (10/25/2005)

By Little Buddy

RE: top sheets sewn to fitted bottom sheets - waterbed sheets. Sheet sets for waterbeds usually have the fitted bottom sheets connected to the top sheets. It has become more difficult to find waterbed sheets, even at Wally's World. (10/15/2007)

By guest

Elastic
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
🎉
🎄