Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

My 5 month old kittens have fleas. The mama was a stray that I adopted when I saw that she was pregnant. How can I rid my cat and kittens of fleas? I tried to give them a bath and they scratched me up and down. I'm sure it traumatized them as well, since it took them all day to come out from behind furniture. Please help. Thank you.

Roses from Oceanside, NY

Answers:

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

At 5 months old, your kittens are old enough for the topical treatments such as Revolution. After you have treated and bathed them as some of the readers have suggested, use Revolution to keep the fleas away. (Also helps with earmites) I can buy a single dose at the Humane Society here. I have treated our 4 month old kittens this way and they are doing well. Be sure to vacuum, and wash all bedding and linens asap as well, to get rid of eggs and fleas. (10/29/2008)

By Toolgirl

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

I had the same situation with a mommy stray and her 3 newborn babies. I put 10% apple cider vinegar and the rest water, wet a washcloth with the mix and wiped all of them from back of ears (avoid face area) and the fleas were easy to pick off (if they didn't fall off first). No fleas would come near them for their skin tasted bitter. They stay outdoors all day and sleep in at night and no fleas since then, I put a few drops of AC vinegar in their wet food in the am also to work internally.

I also read that apple cider vinegar acts as a neutralizer for their urine so if they lick it off it won't hurt them. I will admit though my one girl has an itchy ear now and then. I think it might be an ear mite so I will try the AC vinegar at the tip of the ear and see if it "stinks" the mite out. Otherwise they are happy cats. Thank you everyone. You have all given me great advice and tips for the last few years. There is a lot of love on this website. Be blessed friends. (03/13/2009)

By SendRoses

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

A little late to be responding, but I was Googling ear mites and it went to this post. About a year and a half ago, I had a friendly stray show up pregnant. (My fault, as I always leave food out.) She had 1 kitten and when I picked him up, he was covered in fleas. I treated the mother with Advantage when he was about 3 weeks old. The medication also got on the kitten since he was always cuddled up next to her. I brought them both in after 24 hours to make sure the treatment had killed all of the fleas. The kitten who now is an adult, never had/has any weird complications from it. (03/20/2009)

By Danira

kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Feeding a Picky Cat
Feeding a Picky Cat
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄
🍂