Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

How do I safely get rid of fleas from a mother cat and her 3 week old kittens? The mama cat is not going to let me bathe her. I tried it before and have the scars to prove it.

By cblack28 from Walton, KY

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

You can try using Avon Skin So Soft. I put it in a spray bottle with some water and then mist my kitties and dogs with it. (07/16/2009)

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

I've used lavender oil, it seems a little pricey at first, but it goes a long way, I pay about $11.00/oz. Be sure to get pure essential oil, organic is best because you don't know what kind of unregulated pesticides other countries use in growing their herbs. Mix 2-3 drops with 4 cups of water, spray this on all the bedding, carpets, and even the cats 2-3 times a day, be sure to get the area around baseboards well. It won't make the kitties sick when they clean themselves, it makes the whole house smell great, and does a pretty good job of killing the fleas.

You can also use ground up, dried citrus peels on carpet, sprinkle them on, let sit for 1-2 hours (remove the animals, citrus oil can bother their skin) and then vacuum up (also makes the house smell great).

Now for a tip about bathing a cat, first have plenty of towels, one for the bottom of the sink, so the cat doesn't slip, one for the top of the cat to hold her down, at least one for drying the cat and several for mopping up the blood. It's also a good idea to have peroxide and/or betadine handy for post bath clean-up. (I have lots of scars.) Kittens are easier to train for bathing, my daughter started bathing one of her kittens at about 5 weeks old and now 10 years later the cat still gets regular baths easily. Holding the cat by the scruff of the neck also helps keep claws further away from any vital organs. (07/17/2009)

By Thenicholas3

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Don't forget that you can also sprinkle 12 Mule Team Borax around the carpet and vacuum it up. Also, wash the bedding in bleach if possible or at least the borax. It's great stuff. Good luck. (07/17/2009)

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

This is more information than you asked for, but for some reason I couldn't leave it just at flea baths. If you can get them to let you comb them with a flea comb, first dip it in rubbing alcohol, shake some of the excess off, keep a cup of it near at hand. Fleas picked up by the comb are instantly knocked semi-unconscious or are killed outright, and the little amount that gets on the cat evaporates and does no harm. Dip the comb into the cup of rubbing alcohol, shake gently in the liquid, most fleas will fall off dead or weak and die in the liquid. It's quick and simple, and kills the eggs to as they absorb it through the "shell" of the egg.

This is extremely useful in emergency situations, as you can get a lot of fleas quickly this way. For the rug, borax works fine, so does diatomaceous earth, which big pet outfits (Petsmart, etc.) carry in 5 gallon buckets. Borax is cheaper. Spread it, use a stiff broom or light rake and dust mask, "comb&" it into the rug and go out for several hours, if it's really bad, stay with a friend overnight. Come back and vacuum thoroughly.

You can also rent a rug cleaner and use it as well, they have pet stain soap that I think has tea tree oil in it, which kills lice and a number of other bugs. If not, it's worth getting some, think they are starting to carry it in the hair section of the grocery store. If not check with the aromatherapy type stuff. You don't have to shampoo or get the tea tree oil, but it will add to the long term removal of the fleas. It's worth it in the long run.

My cat, who was the curious type and often got herself into as much trouble as a dog, hated baths. What I had to do is strong arm her. First, make sure the water is quite warm, not really hot, but pretty warm. They have a higher body temperature than we do and need warmer water. After quickly picking her up and putting her in the tub and in the same move grabbing her just behind the shoulders, I gently but firmly pushed her down to where she was plastered to the tub bottom. Holding her just firm enough to keep her from getting away, I washed her quickly with the other hand, talking lovingly and comfortingly to her the whole time.

Now, we had quite a relationship, soul mates, but she hated the bath and would have bolted at any chance. Be quick, be firm, be strong and be compassionate. Get into Vet mode. I'm no Vet, but if you are calm and in control, and talk comfortingly to them, they realize they must go through this but it will be over shortly. They'll holler and try to get loose, but if you are holding them right, they can't. Rinse and dry them quickly. Of course, keep the door shut and let them escape the tub by themselves. Expect to get wet, it's a given. Don't use a hair dryer, unless they're brought up with them as a kitten (aka pure bred cat show Persian), they are terrified and stressed by it.

Just have a towel handy and drop it over them and rub them down a bit, they'll do the rest. Let them out quickly. They feel trapped by then and need to feel in control of their world again. Also, cats rarely need baths and shouldn't be bathed unless:

1. they love the water (a small percentage do)
  2. they are badly infested with fleas, but are still healthy (never wash a sick cat, it may die from shock)
  3. like my cat was they're curious and get into stuff that's none of their business (aka skunk).

Never bathe an injured cat, either, they could have worse injuries than you know of and you may do irreparable damage.

I had my cat until she was around 18 years old, and though she's been gone for 3 years, she's still a part of me. I hope yours will be soul mates to someone for a long time. (07/17/2009)

By nekocat

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Feeding a Picky Cat
Feeding a Picky Cat
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding