Flies in the Backyard

I am trying to get rid of flies in my backyard. I am having a BBQ graduation party for my daughter and her friends, and these flies are all over the place. Is there an easy solution I can make and hang/put in the yard to attract them?

By Dawn

I have heard that if you hang large zip bags of water it will help get rid of flies coming in the house. I would think that perhaps it may work outside too you can always try it. Hang some zip bags with water around the yard and see if it works. Good Luck! Hope it helps!

I remember that Raid used to make a product known as "Yard Guard." When sprayed around the yard area it killed flying insects. Call Home Depot, Lowe's Home Improvement or a local hardware store and see if they sell such a product or something similar. It would be to your advantage to find out what is causing the fly infestation.

I have supplied this info before, but it never hurts to send it again. The thing I was told was to put some plastic (like a used grocery bag, or similar size bag), into a paper bag, after crumpling the paper bag a couple times. Make sure the plastic bag, or bags, hold the paper bag out a bit, so as to make a form which will look like a hornets nest, and then place a few of them in areas that would seem natural, under a roof over hang, on tree branches, or even on a stick in the ground, to give the flies the idea that your area is surrounded by hornets, and they will avoid that area.

Place a piece of raw meat in a mesh bag, similar to the kind onions come in. Hang the bag from a tree branch away from your eating area and guest seating and flies will swarm to it!

I recently came across Diatomaceous Earth (DE) to use as an ant killer/deterrent. I had intended to use this substance (silica) by sprinkling into our communal trash bin to control flies. Has anyone used DE for this purpose and in this manner?

One of the replies suggests a plastic bag filled with water, if one puts a few pennies in there, this suggestion works even better. We have used it on Habitat-type builds in rural areas and had some success. I wish I had remembered it this summer!