Flowers That Will Bloom in October

Question:

My son is getting married in October. While we are thrilled about the upcoming events, I may have the rehearsal dinner in our backyard. I sure would appreciate any suggestions for plants that would be blooming that month so that it would look as pretty as possible. By the way, the mums I got last year in October as potted plants I planted and they are about to bloom. Is this right? Will they bloom again in October? Thanks to everyone for the input!

BBB from Greenville, AL

Answer:

BBB,

Congratulations! Fall is a beautiful time for a wedding. First off, if you keep deadheading your mums, you will be able to extend their blooms for several weeks, but it's unlikely you'll get a second round of flowers from them in the fall. The mums available last October were probably grown under controlled conditions so that they would peak just in time for the fall season. Once in the ground, they can sometimes bloom earlier, especially in warmer parts of the country. Here are some flowers that should be in bloom in your zone in the Fall: Swamp Flowers (yellow daisy-like blooms with brown eyes), Mexican Bush Sage (purple and white spikes with a velvety texture), Golden Rod, Asters, Japanese Anemone, Sedum, Dahlia and certain roses. Area Master Gardeners or your county extension agency should be able to give you additional ideas. If not, call your local florist and tell them you are trying to plan a fall wedding and want to know what types of local flowers are in season then. Also, don't over look harvest ornamentals like gourds, natural baskets and hollowed-out pumpkins to fill with flowers like zinnias or mums for extra color.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I saw the earlier reply and it was wonderful I just wanted to say as an aldehyde suffer that has lived in MS, GA, and TN. A lot of people in those areas are allergic to golden rod! You don't want your guest's allergies kicking in right before the wedding!

Japanese Anemone
Flowers That Bloom in October
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersMarch 22, 2010
Forcing Hyacinth Bulbs
Forcing Hyacinth Bulbs
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
Blue balloon flowers.
Growing Balloon Flowers (Chinese Bellflower)
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
🎄
🍂