Folding Plastic Grocery Bags

Storing plastic grocery bags for reuse can be a challenge. They seem to require a better solution than stuffing them in another grocery bag. This is a guide about folding plastic grocery bags.

Did you ever make paper napkin footballs when you were a kid? Well that childhood activity has a fabulous adulthood use too. Folding your plastic grocery bags using the football fold will reduce the space you need to store them. Plus it also makes them small enough to have a few on hand in your purse or diaper bag.

• plastic shopping bags

1. Lay the shopping bag flat and smooth it out.
  2. Fold the bag in half, lengthwise.
  3. Fold the bag in half again. Smooth it out.
  4. Ad
  5. Start at the bottom of the bag, fold the lower left corner over towards the right side, creating a triangle shape. NOTE: By starting at the bottom of the bag, you will push out any air that is in the bag.
  6. Now fold the triangle upward, staying on the right side.
  7. Ad
  8. Next fold the triangle over to the left side.
  9. Repeat until you reach the handle end of the bag.
  10. Ad
  11. Tuck the handle end into the little pocket that was created.
  12. Ad
  13. I previously knotted our plastic bags, as you can see the football fold makes them much smaller!

I had plastic grocery bags jammed so tightly in a plastic bag holder that I had made. I couldn't fit another one into the holder if I wanted to. My husband and I tried your suggestion and folded all our bags. Voila! I couldn't believe it. Now we can store many more bags. Thanks for sharing your suggestion.

Plastic shopping bags are recyclable. These can be used for sealing or transporting things. Plastic bags can be very annoying to the eyes as they scatter in every place at your home. Here's how I organize my plastic bags after shopping.

First gather the plastic bags in one place. Get one plastic bag and flatten it using your hands. Fix the folds of the plastic bag.

Put the bag into horizontal position and fold it twice.

Starting from the bottom, make alternate triangle folds following the line until you reach the handle.

Notice the opening, seal the fold by inserting the end of the handle into that opening.

Get any available container and arrange the triangles according on it's size. Now it's tidier and easier for you to keep and locate your plastic shopping bags when needed.

I just used the "kiss" method. When I bring my bags back from the grocery I just flatten it, make a loose knot and throw it into one of the other bags that I brought home. The remaining bags (and future ones) also get tied into a loose knot and placed into the one bag until full. I use pegs to hang the filled and my next unfilled bag. Then when needed I just reach in and pull one out.

To store plastic bags in an even smaller space, take and fold the bag in quarters, lengthwise. Take all the air out, starting at the bottom fold it so it is a triangle shape and fold it this way to the top.

Videos

Keeping plastic bags for later use can look disorganized but these folded bags are neat and easy to store. Learn how to easily fold them in this short video.

this is pure genius. I always feel I am overrun by bags