Fragrance Lamps

Does anyone have a recipe for making the fragrance fuel for a Lampe Berger or one of the other lamp products?

By Gene

Fragrance Lamps

• 1 bottle 90% alcohol (do not use weaker strength)
  • 9 cc's essential oil (not fragrance oil)

Drip the essential oil directly into the bottle of alcohol. A syringe works best. Shake and enjoy!

By Susie (10/03/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

Susie, Have you had any problems at all burning the homemade fuel in your lamp? I was told by someone who sells Redolere lamps and Sophies lamp fuel that there is an additional ingredient in the formula besides alcohol and essential oil that helps the stone burn cleaner. Someone here locally is selling their own homemade mixtures and the Redolere dealer told me that those using it are having to replace their stones a lot sooner. She said she could tell when they were burning the homemade fuel because the stone turned a different color and it emitted a smoke that was not present when burning the Sophie and La-Te-Da, etc., fuels. Is this fact, or is this a sales pitch?

By Cajun (11/06/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

Cajun, there are no additional ingredients. It's just a sales pitch so you'll buy, buy, buy. I make my own and the recipe provided is the one I bought from someone on Ebay three years ago. Works great!

I have some fuel purchased from a local store and there is no difference in the burn or any smoke, if you make your own.

By Mary (11/28/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

I found the post for homemade lamp fuel. Where do I find 90% alcohol? The kind I see is rubbing alcohol and its only 70%. I really like the lamps but the alcohol is so spendy.

By cleo (01/02/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I found the alcohol, in fact I found some also that says 99%. I have tried both and my stone will not stay hot after I blow out the flame and I have let it burn (flame) for longer periods of time to see if that would help, no go. Anyone else have this problem?

By cleo( 01/05/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I was looking for information on making my own air freshener and your ideas worked wonderfully! Thank you so much for taking the time to write these amazing ideas! I appreciate them and I know my friends and family are all looking at your suggestions now as well!

By Laur (01/10/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I had trouble getting my stone to stay hot after blowing out the flame as well. Thought it was the oil but it was not and I wasted a bottle because I threw it out. The key is not to overfill the lamp. Try filling the lamp a little less than halfway and then light as usual. You should be all set and you should notice that as the fuel gets the lower, the stone burns hotter.

You need to experiment with different levels before you find the level that works best with your shape lamp. The instructions that came with the lamp said to fill it to 2/3 or less. I had done this and it did not work properly, but my lamp is cone shaped. When I filled to about 2/3 interior mass rather than 2/3 vertical height, I had success. Because of the shape of the lamp, the 2/3 interior mass looks to be about 1/3 the vertical height.

I have found this to be true with both the name brand fuel and the homemade fuel. I switched over to homemade fuel a couple of weeks ago when the sample bottle of brand name ran out and have used nothing else and am quite happy with it. No smoke and no apparent residue. I use a full half ounce of the essential oil to get the level of fragrance that I like and think I may go higher than that amount next time I make it. I also did notice over the past weeks, that when the fragrance is initially mixed and used immediately that I find myself wondering if that particular oil is weaker and if the mixture needs to have a higher concentration of oil. Then, when I refill a few days later to burn again, the fragrance is much stronger and this is also the case a few days after that. I am wondering if maybe the mixture needs to sit to proof to reach max capacity, similarly as to how your soup always tastes better in the 2 or 3 days after it is made.

I just mixed up 4 bottles with different scents each, marked the bottles with sharpie, and put them aside to sit before using them. Also, if you use it right away, don't forget to shake the bottle just like you would if you were mixing salad dressing. I do make it with essential oils and not fragrance oils, though. It's pricier than using the fragrance oils, but I prefer it. Good luck.

By SandraRose (01/31/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

To clean the stone, put it in a jar with 91% isopropyl alcohol, let soak overnight, it should be good for the next day's use, works good. Tip: never put more oil in your lamp than you plan on using. When the stone cools, put it in alcohol until the next use.

I am looking for how to make my own oil for my effusion lamp. Not sure what kind of oil and where to buy it and how much and how much alcohol.

By jax (02/02/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I would like to add to the discussion on the Lampe Berger Lamps. I have found that using an authentic Lampe Berger Wick is the answer to those who have problems with their stones not burning and lighting, etc. I have learned this through a great deal of trial, error and expense.

By Bette (02/16/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

My house is using Lampe Berger too. Actually, a lot of people are not using it the right way. That's why so many people complain about it. I'm an anti MLM person, but the product is really good. I have tried to do some experiments at home. It's really can kill the bacterias in the air. Another thing is about the scent. Not all the scents are nice, but it also depends how you mix them.

Different ones will have different effects and you just gotta use it in the right way. I don't understand why there are so many rumours about Lampe Berger. At least there are people who succeed in this line also. Some of the people are not doing the business in a proper way, and don't understand how it works. I have a friend who is a Lampe Berger member, but she's not very clear with the product. I believe I have the better understanding, compared to her.

By syit (11/29/2006)

Two colored glass fragrance lamps consistent with the style sold by Lampe Berger
Making Your Own Lampe Berger Fragrances
Two pumpkin and one skull light.
Making Halloween Lamps
Closeup of lily-of-the-valley flowers against green of leaves and blue sky.
Growing Lily-of-the-Valley
Effusion Lamps
Making Oil for Effusion Lamps
Effusion Oil Lamps
Using an Effusion Oil Lamp