Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Free Entertainment Ideas

Free entertainment can be hard to come by, especially for the whole family. However, there are free entertaining events going on from time to time if you watch the schedules in your local area. This is a guide about free entertainment ideas.

July 21, 2009 Flag

We get schedules of student performances at our local colleges and attend the free ones.

By Ruth from New York

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 22, 2008 Flag

I'm unemployed right now. What are some things that I can do that are low cost or free for fun. I would appreciate any ideas you can give me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rent movies, tapes, or books from the local library. Take a hike or walk at a near by park. Bowling is always cheap fun. Some colleges will have concerts or plays to see. Not sure where you live, but some many places have Karoke or bars will have live entertainment. Throw a potluck dinner party and have everyone bring a dish. Have friends over and play cards or board games. There are plenty of things to do without having to spend much money. Get creative.

The library is a great place to start, they usually have gossip magazines, the internet, and special interest books, cooking and crafts could be fun.

Day-trips to public spaces and exhibitions. I like the botanic gardens, museums, galleries, etc.

If you have an unemployment/pension card then you travel at discounted rates.

Visit people who are also at home family/friends or invite people over for a cuppa or picnic.

Bingo nights can also be a cheap night out, limit yourself to one book of numbers instead of 10.

Pub Trivia nights and Karaoke are also usualy free. If you are going for the entertainment and not the drinks it doesn't need to cost you a cent.

An exercise group eg walking/cycling will also be free and it is sociable, if there isn't a group in your area then ask a friend or neighbour.

I hope you find something you like. Keeping in contact with your friends and family is probably the cheapest way to pass the time well.

There are so many things that you can do to have fun. Buy a bag of balloons at the local dollar store. Blow up a bunch and play indoors or out with the kids and the hubby. Bake some cookies for valentines days that are heart shaped and share them. Have a picnic on the floor or carpet in the living room. For girls, do your own pamper session with nails, hair and makeup. Play kick the can in the yard with the kids. Fly a kite. For hubby, suprise him with a bottle of wine, and a romantic evening. Have some relaxing music, candles, and maybe some strawberries too. Dance, dance and dance some more. Teach the kids to knit. Make a puzzle as a family. Take a walk and take some pictures of everything in your travels. Colour a picture. Do a craft with the kids. Dancing Raisons.

I am not certain what fun for free you are looking for. With kids? What ages? With Hubby? With Friend or coworkers? Let us know more and I am certain you will get a lot more ideas.

Yes! Try your library! Our local library has lots of free programs for children and adults. They also offer free computer classes and tutorials, a lot of people use the tutorials to learn the Windows Office programs which is becoming more and more crucial to getting a good job. Also, see what your local parks department has to offer, even if you dont have children they probably have programs for adults too.

I recently had a "Girls Night - Game Night". I invited a few of my friends. We played board games, laughed, ate and had a great time. Each of my friends asked if we could do this once a month. It was cheap fun!

Volunteer- you've got the time, someone needs the help, and you can make valuable connections. And depending on what you choose, it can be very entertaining!

And yes, the library....... we're watching Ice Age tonight on dvd and it didn't cost me a thing to take it from the local library.

Also- go for a walk, hike, jog..... with or without some friends. Fresh air is never a bad thing. I walk regularly and take a grocery bag with me to pick up the cans and bottles that drivers throw out. Embarasses my kids, but hey, that's free money here where I can recycle!

The library is my top choice. Books, movies, music, tapes and lots of free local brochures and information. And you could update your resume for your next job. Learn something new or update some skills that will help you get a good-paying job that you will like.

Bicycling is cheap, once you have the bicycle. Look on craigslist for used ones for sale in your area. There may also be a bicycle touring group near you. If you have the bike and brown-bag your lunch you can have a fun day for almost nothing.

Hiking is even cheaper, all you need is good shoes.

Model building? This can be as expensive as you want, but also can consume large amounts of time for little money.

You can check out local library for free movies.

I always check out the schedule of programs for our local state parks! There are always fun/interesting/educational/healthy events going on. As an example one of our local parks has an indoor exhibit "Putting through the Ages" from January through February at no cost. It's miniature golf with a dinosaur twist. We plan on going this weekend with our family. Do an internet search to see which parks are close and what they have to offer even in the winter. :)

August 8, 2005 Flag

My husband and I will be celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary. We plan to invite about 100 guests for dinner at a local restaurant. I need some suggestions as to what we could do following the dinner vs. just eating and have our guests leave. I would like to have at least one hour of some type of entertainment. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Shirley Ungiran

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my area, many people have these types of events at the local nature museum (it's a great place) they cater in the dinner and then everyone can walk around. People have had weddings there and dancing - might check out something like that in your area.

when both of my parents were alive - it seemed to them then to be a good time to recite poetry to their guests that was written by them --

some of it was funny -- some very sentamentally serious

& it's not clear right now if the guests also participated-- but would that be a good time to tell some humorous stories on the couple by the friends who had been there with them to share those laughs ?? I think it would be kinda fun !

I assume you'll have an area to yourself so how about putting together a video of photos of you and your friends/family over the last 50 years. You could pick out some great music to go along with the photos.

what about all the talent that will be present in the room?? i have always wanted to act out lucys vitameatavegamin routine. i bet there are some people in your group that can sing or juggle or make people laugh.

Have a toast ceremony, and also include some of the surival tips that have helped them thru.My hubby and I reflect of friends old and new. Put memories of before kids, after kids, the good hard bad and tasteful memories,

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

March 10, 2011 Flag

Whenever the end of a night comes around, we set everything up to wind down. Turn off the lights, put on a candle, pick a movie, and pour the wine. This is the result of good wine, a good mood, low lights and a convenient camera. I happened to catch the way my man looked in the room's light, when he went to get me a blanket, and well, we had a photo shoot. This one still makes me laugh.

By Lindsey

Roller Coaster Wall

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

A very whimsical work of art! Love it!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes
Entertainment Frugal FunOctober 19, 2011
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Shortbread cookies.
Gluten Free Shortbread Recipes
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
man playing guitar
Saving Money On Wedding Entertainment
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 8:31:14 AM on 10.0.0.181 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.