Free Motion Embroidery Ideas

Category How to*
You can create beautiful embroidery designs on your regular sewing machine without having to invest in a computerized embroidery machine. This is a guide about free motion embroidery ideas.

Here is a rose I embroidered on a bag I'm making for a friend. I'm learning to embroider by hand-cranking my simple sewing machine, using the free-motion foot. I do not like the computerized method, and am enjoying the creativity allowed as I create my design from a simple line drawing. I hope you like how it turned out, I do!

Source: My husband drew the outline, I drew with the thread

By Bonnie from Spokane, WA

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

I would love to know how to embroider this rose. Do you have any instructions?

I think your rose is great. If you, or anyone else, wants to pursue free machine embroidery with a regular sewing machine, a couple of web sites to get you started are listed below. Try used bookstores for older books on embroidery by machine that were put out before the computerized machines came out. Keep trying. Practice is everything.

http://www.ehow … e-embroider.html

http://www.tomf … /embroidery.html

http://twokitti … oidery-with.html

Loret asked for more websites. Google "free machine embroidery" (FME) and you will find lots of hits with designs, tips etc. You can narrow the search by adding what you most need to the initial search "FME designs", "FME patterns", projects, tips, etc. Happy hunting leads to happy stitching! Have fun.

Anonymous

Thanks all and melodybh for the links. Sorry for the looong delay loret77. I used a free-motion foot attachment to my sewing machine. It has a little spring, that contacts the fabric when the needle is hooking a stitch from the bobbin, but then releases on each turn, so that you are free to move the foot around. It takes some work to figure out tension and how to move. Make sure that you always have the fabric (in an embroidery hoop) facing you the same way (so the left bottom corner is always the left bottom corner) and move the work around in an axis motion (x and y axis), never turning or twisting the work. My husband drew a line drawing, which I traced out on thin tracing paper. I then stitched directly over that paper. I hope that helps.