Freeze Chopped Onions to Avoid Waste

If you like cooking with chopped or diced onions but don't like spending extra money buying prepared onions, try making your own. Wash, peel and chop the onion to your preferred fineness. Place in a plastic storage bag and toss in the freezer. When you're ready to use them, there's no need to thaw first. Just remove the amount you need from the bag. This is a great money-saver for me, since we buy the three-pound bags of white onions but don't always use them before they spoil. (Note: I don't recommend freezing onion you're going to want to eat fresh.) Happy cooking!

Source: This is something I figured out on my own.

By Lelia from Springfield, OH

Answers:

Freeze Chopped Onions to Avoid Waste

You can also chop celery and put it in the freezer without blanching. I also cut it in longer pieces sometimes. Like you and the onions I wasted a lot of celery before I discovered this. (11/21/2008)

By dajavooi

Freeze Chopped Onions to Avoid Waste

This is a very good time-saving tip, but freezing the onion reduces the strength of the flavor. Most people don't like strong onions, anyway, so it may be a moot point, but it should be mentioned that the onion flavor becomes milder after freezing. (11/21/2008)

By

Freeze Chopped Onions to Avoid Waste

I found that after I dice onions or celery, spread it out on a pan sprayed with cooking spray and put it in the freezer for a little while. Then put in containers. It is a lot easier to separate when you get it out of freezer. Otherwise when you get it out of freezer it is in one big clump. I learned this from my sister. (11/22/2008)

By Mimi in Pensacola

Freeze Chopped Onions to Avoid Waste

This also works for green bell peppers and other colored bell peppers. When the peppers go on sale, I will buy extra, cut into strips and freeze for fajitas or I can cut the strips for diced peppers. Do as mentioned before and freeze on a cookie sheet, then put into a bag. (Don't use these if you need the crunch of fresh peppers, just in your cooking.) (11/22/2008)

By Toolgirl

an onion before freezing
Freezing Onions
Frozen Onion
Using Frozen Onions
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
🎄