Freeze Extra Buttermilk

I have one recipe that I make about 2 times a month that calls for 1 cup buttermilk. I tried using the dried buttermilk, but I can taste the difference. I used to end up wasting a quart or half gallon until I had a great idea.

What I did was used my food saver and made several bags with 1 cup buttermilk in each bag and put them in the freezer. Now, when I need that 1 cup, I have it and I don't have to worry about defrosting a quart of frozen buttermilk.

By Virraszto from Toledo, OH

Answers:

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

My Better Homes and Garden cookbook says that if you don't have Buttermilk you can substitute:

• 1 cup whole milk (I use lowfat)
  • 1 tbs. of Lemon juice

Let it sit until it curdles, about 5 minutes. I use that all the time. I've never had buttermilk, so for me, I wouldn't know the difference. You can also use 1 cup plain yogurt or add 1 1/4 tsp. of cream of tartar to the whole milk.

(09/06/2009)

By kghsave

Freeze Extra Buttermilk
Buttermilk in a metal cup.
Homemade Buttermilk Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Buttermilk Cake Recipes
🎄