Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Did you know that if you freeze a raw head of cabbage for 2 or 3 days you don't have to scald it to make cabbage rolls. The cabbage is soft when it thaws and easy to handle. You don't need any toothpick either. I gave this hint to a lady that worked in a school cafeteria and she said her co-workers were so glad. She said the ladies were so glad not to burn themselves scalding the cabbage.

Source: I think I read it in a hint somewhere. I can't remember. I've used this hint for over forty years now. I've used it often. We have a garden so when we have cabbage I make a lot of cabbage rolls and I freeze some.

By Gertie from Erath, LA

Answers:

Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Unstuffed Golabki Casserole

• 2 heads medium cabbage, chopped and parboiled
  • 2 lbs. ground chuck, browned
  • 1 large onion, cooked
  • 2 cups long grained rice, cooked with beef bouillon, optional
  • (3) Cans tomato soup or tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • Caraway seed to taste, optional
  • Bacon strips, uncooked

Combine everything except the bacon. Place in greased casserole. Lay bacon on top. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until done. Remove cover the last 5-10 minutes.

You can make Unstuffed Peppers the same way. Cut up red and/or green peppers into chunks, and parboil. Mix using your favorite stuffed pepper recipe. Bake as above.

To cook long grained rice in microwave:
To a greased 2 quart casserole, add 1 cup of long grained rice and 2 cups water. Add 1 tablespoon butter, one bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add dissolved beef bouillon, if using.

Microwave with lid for 5-6 minutes on high. Microwave on medium power for 15-16 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before carefully removing the lid.

(05/20/2008)

By Maryanne

Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎉
🎄