Freezing Bananas

I have a few bananas that are starting to turn. I want to use them in a recipe, but can't make it till Sunday. If I put the bananas in the freezer will they be alright to make the recipe Sunday?

Tia,
Michele from Syracuse, NY

Answers:

Freezing Bananas

I freeze bananas often and use them when I make banana bread. I just take them out of the freezer early enough so they are not frozen when I use them. I peel them and put them in Ziploc type bags when I freeze them. (05/09/2007)

By Daved

Freezing Bananas

You sure can freeze bananas. I do it all the time. Toss them in the freezer with the peel on, and defrost them when needed, What I do when thawed is, I snip the end of the banana and squeeze the banana out into a bowl. It is perfect for banana bread. One of our local grocery stores here in Canada, sell their very ripe bananas. You can buy 10 bananas for 9 cents. So I get a bunch and freeze them. I try to be thrifty.

Nancy (05/10/2007)

By skiggyNT

Freezing Bananas

I freeze them and put them in my smoothies with frozen strawberries. I find it easier to peel and wrap in plastic than to carve off the peel. But if you don't need them to be frozen, keep them in their peels like the others said. It is a natural preserver, I like that. (05/10/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Freezing Bananas

Peel them before freezing or live to regret it. (05/10/2007)

By cookwie

Freezing Bananas

I throw my bananas in the freezer peel and all. Before I use them, I just microwave defrost them for a bit if I want them to be partially frozen for smoothies and micro a it longer if they need to be thawed. I then (as others mentioned) cut one end off and push the banana out whole. It is kinda funny how it just "falls out" of the peel in tact. Trying to peel them frozen is a nightmare. Don't even try it. Good luck. (05/10/2007)

By Andjerm

Freezing Bananas

I got mad at myself for buying too many bananas (or not eating enough) so now when they start to turn, I slice them onto an aluminum foil sheet and put the sheet into the freezer for a couple of hours. Then they go into sandwich bags and back into the freezer until needed. One banana is enough for a bowl of cereal or yogurt. I've found that the taste is definitely "ripe" but not overripe, even if the bananas were technically overripe when I froze them.

(05/10/2007)

By Nancy from Nokomis

Freezing Bananas

I freeze bananas without the peel. I wrap them in plastic wrap and put in plastic bags. I slice them and they taste like banana ice cream. Really good. I also use them in smoothies. (05/10/2007)

Freezing Bananas

I just put the whole banana with peel in the freezer and my trusty OXO potato peeler has no problem getting the frozen peel off the banana. (05/10/2007)

By Heather

Freezing Bananas

If you are only trying to hold the bananas a few extra days, you can just put them in the refrigerator. The skin will turn black, but the inside will not ripen any further. I have never frozen bananas, but I am certainly going to try it.
(05/11/2007)

By bettyboop5382

Freezing Bananas

I just throw the whole bunch in the freezer, unseparated, unpeeled. When I want one I just break it off from the bunch and just set it on the stove (I have a gas stove) while I'm doing other things and soon it's ready to peel. If I'm in a hurry I microwave it for about 10 seconds and peel it. I usually use them frozen in a smoothie or just to eat frozen on a hot day. (05/11/2007)

By Anna

Freezing Bananas

If I am in a hurry, I just put them unpeeled into a Ziploc bag, and then let them sit on the counter to thaw for a few minutes when I am ready to use them. But if I have the time, I peel them, mash them and measure them into Ziploc snack size bags, press as much air out as possible, label them, and freeze them.

I put 1/2 cup into each bag because I regularly make banana bars and the recipe calls for 1/2 cup mashed bananas. That is about one banana. When I find over-ripe ones on sale, I buy several pounds, and instead of mashing them with a fork, I cut them up and put them all in my mixer bowl and turn it on medium speed until they are mashed.
(05/11/2007)

By Harlean from AR

Freezing Bananas

I peel bananas, cut them in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and then into the freezer. On a hot day, I eat it like a Popsicle very sweet and delicious. Maybe I need to stick a Popsicle stick in each one before I freeze it, hmmm. (05/19/2007)

By katiebkool

A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
A bunch of bananas.
Storing Bananas
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
mashed bananas in baggie
Freezing Overripe Bananas
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎉
🎄