Freezing Brown Rice

Category Freezing
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Brown rice is a tasty nutritious grain. Because it takes longer to cook than white rice, making extra ahead and freezing can save you time later when preparing a meal. This is a guide about freezing brown rice.

Save time and money on healthy brown rice by buying just the plain natural long grain rice. Cook the whole package at once. I cook about 3 pounds at a time. Cook until within 10 minutes of being done, drain and cool and package in individual freezer bags. When rice is needed for a meal thaw out a bag and cook in chicken (or other) broth with herbs and seasonings for ten minutes for a healthy, thrifty, and very tasty side dish!

By Brenda R.

I cooked too much brown rice for dinner. Can I put it in a freezer bag and freeze it?

Thanks.

By Michele

Yes I do it all the time. Actually when I cook rice I always cook a lot and then freeze it in portions.

As already mentioned, Yes! I measured it out first so that way I knew how much was in there (in case I was using it for a recipe). After putting it in the ziploc baggie, I made sure to get the extra air out and then pressed it flat for easier storage in the freezer.

Yes, I do it all the time. I use quart freezer bags and figure on enough to feed my husband and myself. Enjoy!

Yes. I use a rice cooker to cook a bag of brown rice every weekend. I freeze it in one cup portions to take to work.