Freezing Brown Rice

Brown rice is a tasty nutritious grain. Because it takes longer to cook than white rice, making extra ahead and freezing can save you time later when preparing a meal. This is a guide about freezing brown rice.

July 1, 2005 Flag

Save time and money on healthy brown rice by buying just the plain natural long grain rice. Cook the whole package at once. I cook about 3 pounds at a time. Cook until within 10 minutes of being done, drain and cool and package in individual freezer bags. When rice is needed for a meal thaw out a bag and cook in chicken (or other) broth with herbs and seasonings for ten minutes for a healthy, thrifty, and very tasty side dish!

By Brenda R.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2011 Flag

I cooked too much brown rice for dinner. Can I put it in a freezer bag and freeze it?

Thanks.

By Michele

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes

Absolutely. You can even buy frozen brown rice at Trader Joe's.

Yes I do it all the time. Actually when I cook rice I always cook a lot and then freeze it in portions.

As already mentioned, Yes! I measured it out first so that way I knew how much was in there (in case I was using it for a recipe). After putting it in the ziploc baggie, I made sure to get the extra air out and then pressed it flat for easier storage in the freezer.

Yes, I do it all the time. I use quart freezer bags and figure on enough to feed my husband and myself. Enjoy!

Yes. I use a rice cooker to cook a bag of brown rice every weekend. I freeze it in one cup portions to take to work.

Food and Recipes FreezingNovember 27, 2011
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 2:17:18 AM on 10.0.1.11 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.