Freezing Celery

Often when we buy celery at the market there are leftovers. Although it will no longer be crisp, celery can be frozen to use in cooking. This is a guide about freezing celery.

March 8, 2010 Flag

Selecting High-Quality Celery:

Celery loses its crisp texture when frozen, but it still suitable for use in cooked dishes. Select crisp, green, tender stalks, free from coarse strings. The ribs should be firm and rigid, snapping crisply when broken in half.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash thoroughly, trim and cut stalks into l-inch lengths. Stalks can also be left whole for tray freezing.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch for 3 minutes. Cool promptly, drain and package leaving no headspace. Seal and freeze. Celery stalks can also be frozen without blanching.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Tray Packs: Clean and prepare celery stalks. Lay in a single layer of chopped pieces or whole stalks on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave no headspace.

• Dry Packs: Transfer blanched or raw celery directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave no headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing celery includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy duty-aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Add frozen celery directly to dishes while cooking.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Tray freezing is almost always preferable to Dry Packs because vegetables will not freeze together in clumps, making it easy to access the precise amount you need without thawing out a whole container.

Refrigerating Celery:

Wrap celery stalks in a damp paper towel and then aluminum foil to keep it fresh in the refrigerator 4 weeks.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 28, 2011 Flag

Can I, and if so, how do I freeze celery?

By Guy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would not suggest freezing celery because of the high moisture content. It will be brown and mushy when you defrost it. However, celery is a great candidate for dehydrating. Slice it thin and follow the instructions on the dehydrator. You can dry the leaves as well.

Dehydrated celery should keep for a long time. Use in soups and sauces that require simmering or boiling. The dried leaves are an interesting herb similar to parsley.

I freeze diced onions, green peppers and celery together on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. After a couple of hours I then transfer to individual sandwich bags in the amounts I use for cooking and then pop it into a gallon size freezer bag. They have always turned out great and saves so much time when I'm cooking!

Yes. Wash it, dry it, chop it, put it in bags. and freeze it. I have done it for years.

I always chop celery into small chunks (after washing them), and put them into gallon freezer bags. After I put them into the baggies, I squish all of the air out of the bags, then zip them up, and I lay them flat. I never have any trouble with them clumping up. They are just like fresh, when I cook them. I do my onions and bell peppers, the same way.

July 17, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze fresh celery? I buy it by the bunch, but cannot use all of it before it is just not usable. Can you process and freeze?

By Lisa T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can wash, slice and freeze celery but it won't be crunchy when thawed. It is fine to use in soups or stews but no good for using in tuna salad or something like that.

To keep celery fresh for use in salads, etc., you can wrap the entire stalk in aluminum foil. Don't wash the celery and make sure you dry off any moisture first. Make sure you mold the foil to the celery as much as possible and both ends are completely enclosed. Each time you use some of the celery, just make sure to re-wrap it. I have kept celery fresh in the refrigerator for as much as three weeks this way.

I'm doing that right now! I'm not the biggest celery fan, but some things just aren't as tasty without it. I cut it up and spread the slices on a cookie sheet so they don't freeze stuck together. After they're frozen I'm going to bag them up in stew appropriate portions.

Yes! wash it, dry it and chop it up. Put it in plastic bags and freeze it. You can take out what you need for cooking. It will be a little to soft for serving fresh but the flavor is still there.

January 18, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze celery and if so for how long?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes. I do it all the time. I wash, dry and chop the celery and freeze it in plastic bags. When I need some to cook with I can help my self. If you are not going to cook with it you better not freeze it because it will be limp when it thaws.

I rarely use celery fresh, so after I buy it and wash it. I chop it all up, saute the entire head then freeze in a bag in the freezer. When I want some for chicken/rice soup, just pull it out and knock some off, it will be frozen in a lump most likely. It keeps quite a while in the freezer 2-3 months at least.

I grow about 6 bunches of celery in my garden every year and I put the excess in the freezer to be used in soups and stews over the winter. Not good for salad. Just wash and remove as much moisture as possible, cut in small pieces, put in freezer container, will keep several months, enjoy!

I bo't a huge bunch of celery and wasn't using it fast enough. Since it was Fall and my baseboard heaters were coming on I cut the celery into 1/8" pieces and threaded them onto a long thread with a needle and hung them above the heater. I spaced them so none were touching each other. They were completely dry in about 4 days and took up no space at all in a sterile jar. After two days and again after that it's wise to check for moisture.

January 17, 2012 Flag

Do you have to blanch sliced celery? Can you just freeze celery that's cut into 1/2 inch pieces?

By Lis F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes. Wash it and dry it thoroughly (so ice crystals do not form on it after freezing, which makes it deteriorate faster) and try and get as much air out of the container you are freezing it in, before freezing. Peppers and onions can also be frozen in this manner.

Oh, I made myself unclear. No, you do not have to blanch(e?) first. Just wash and dry.

I bought celery when it was cheap around Thanksgiving. I washed it, made sure it was real dry, chopped it up, and froze it. I put it in pint bags, but didn't stuff the bags. That way, when it was frozen good and hard, I just smack the bags on the counter, and it breaks up, and I use just as much as I want. I never blanch it. It works out real well, and when I cook with it, it looks and tastes and cooks like fresh. I always have better luck freezing veggies when I don't blanch them, and we are talking about 40 years of doing it.

September 13, 2011 Flag

How do I keep celery fresh and crisp, and freeze it at the same time?

By Stacie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Celery freezes pretty well, but of course, it is not going to look like or taste (same texture mainly) like it does fresh. Wash it well, but make sure it is very dry before freezing, water crystals that form will deteriorate it as times goes on. Onions, green peppers also can be frozen without blanching. Freezing is a convenient way to add these things to meatloaf, soups, etc. while not necessarily having them fresh on hand.

Oh, also, pack it tightly leaving as little air as possible inside the freezing container. This applies to everything you freeze.

Because of the water content in celery it will never be crisp again once frozen and will only be suitable for cooking. You can freeze it blanched or unblanched but blanching will stop the enzymes that cause quality to deteriorate in the freezer.

July 2, 2012 Flag

I always have celery left over and want to know how to peserve it for later use without it going bad. Can I freeze it?

By Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Certainly you can freeze it but it will not be crunchy when thawed. It won't be suitable for using in tuna or potato salad, for example, but it will be fine in a soup or stew.

January 30, 2012 Flag

Can you freeze celery?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, as you can buy it frozen in the store. I have done it twice, I first cut it, then blanched it, pat it dry and then froze it in a ziplog bag. When it thaws, it isn't as crisp,so would not work for salads, but works great for stews and soups.

March 1, 2010 Flag

Unlike what I have heard and read, I cut up my celery and place on a flat pan, like a cookie pan, and spread it out to freeze it. After about an hour, it can be placed in a ziplock bag for use in future cooking.

<P>By <a href="http://www.thri … ghc630</a> from New Orleans, LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 30, 2005 Flag

I got a bargain on celery today. Can I freeze it? I will only be using it in casserols and cooked foods. Also, how can I give it a long refrigerator life? I don't use it often.

Thanks for any help.
Annette from Maine

Answers:
Freezing Celery 11/30/2005
Yes, you can freeze celery. Wash and dry it very well, then slice or dice it as you would for your cooked recipe. Spread the diced celery on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until frozen. Transfer to a freezer bag or other container for storage.

Also, if you want to keep some fresh in the fridge, wrap it in aluminum foil. It will keep several weeks like that.

By LanaAnn
Freezing Celery 12/01/2005
Annette, I freeze celery . I just stick the bag it comes in , inside a couple bread sacks to protect from freezer burn, and put it in the freezer. Then I just break off how much I need , chop or dice, when I need it. I can't tell the difference in the cooked recipes. It would not however, be crunchy like it is when it is fresh. Carol
By lorac456
Freezing Celery 12/01/2005
Be sure to lay your celery on a cookie sheet or plate to freeze first, like LanaAnn says, or you'll have to chisel it off of the ball that it'll be in if you toss it all in a baggie before freezing it, like I did. I'll be much easier the other way. It's hard to chisel the correct amount you need. Much easier to reach in or pour out how much you need.
By badwater
Freezing Celery 12/01/2005
I watched martha stewart on TV once. She said if you wrap the celery completely in foil it will last 3 weeks in your refrigerator. i tried this and it really works.
By debbie (Guest Post)
Freezing Celery 01/04/2006
As with freezing a lot of things, the texture will change. I suppose would be okay for cooked recipes though.
I always wrap my fresh celery in foil. I found that to work very, very well.
If you have fresh celery that has already become limp, cut the root end off and sitck all the stocks into a container of water and place in the fridge. The stalks will drink the water up and be rejuventated.
By Izzyflip

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Celery on White Background
Storing Celery
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesFebruary 8, 2012
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Uses for Celery Leaves
Uses for Celery Leaves
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 9:51:46 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.