Freezing Homemade Bread Dough

I love the taste of homemade bread, but don't have a bakery in town. I'd like to make bread dough in advance, freeze, and bake as I need it. I'm looking for recipes that freeze well; length of time that the dough keeps in the freezer; as well as instructions as to when to let rise, when to freeze, and all of that. Thank you for helping me!

Adrianne from Adrian, Michigan

Freezing Homemade Bread Dough

I just use my normal bread recipe. The recipe I use rises twice- once in the bowl- once in the loaf pan. I freeze loaf and roll size "chunks" after the first time rising and store the frozen chunks in zippered freezer bags for weeks at a time. I let the frozen chunks thaw and and rise overnight (depending on the temp of my kitchen) and bake them as normal. (02/26/2009)

By Heidi B

Freezing Homemade Bread Dough

My father-in-law uses a bread machine to prepare the dough and then separates the dough into thirds and bakes it in the oven. He freezes the extra loaves and thaws on the countertop as needed. It's great! (02/27/2009)

By kghsave

Freezing Homemade Bread Dough

Mother Earth News online has a terrific archived article on 'Bread in5 mins' which should answer all your questions, and provide useful links. Joining is free. I haven't got round to trying the recipes out yet, since I've just found it, but the feedback is very good. (03/01/2011)

By nufty

Freezing Bread Dough
Freezing Bread Dough
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread