Freezing Lasagna

Freezing Lasagna
Many casseroles are OK to freeze for future use or as leftovers. This is a guide about freezing lasagna.

How long can lasagna be frozen for?

By Betty from Silver Spring, MD

Situation 1: You've made too much

You've followed the recipe, enjoyed your feast, and there's still leftover food.

Do - Freeze the remaining food. It will keep fine for a month or two, whether meat-filled or vegetarian. However

Don't - freeze your leftovers if any ingredients have been frozen and defrosted more than once before. This increases the chances of bacteria creeping in, and you don't want that!

Note: Some cooks say to avoid freezing lasagna if any of its ingredients have been frozen and defrosted even once before, but my wife and I have never suffered because of that.

Don't - Freeze or store your lasagna (or other pasta meals) directly in aluminum (tin) foil.

This suggestion is not due to the much-rumored health dangers of metal foil (because from what I understand these are just that, rumors).

Instead it's because of the way the foil can sometimes make your food taste, well, like metal!

The idea of freezing the food is so that you can enjoy it again after all. Good luck.

stilltasty.com is a great resource:

http://stilltas  tems/index/17516

Hi Betty, I always make lots at one time, I have had them freezing for at least 4-5 months, I first cover them with parchment paper then strong foil,then an elastic band to keep the foil secure, & some I put into Pyrex dishes with "rubber" lids first covering again with parchment paper, I part defrost them before baking - cuts down the baking time, I do this with shepherds pie, Cornish pasties, steak & kidney pies etc. hope this helps.

How long can a lasagna casserole be frozen? Also, can you freeze a sweet potatoe casserole?

Nancy from Jefferson City, MO

Nancy, Hi.

I'm not sure about the recommended length of time (you may want to check with your local beef marketing organization), but I do know that if you double-wrap it (two plastic bags, openings at opposite ends, remove as much air as possible and seal it well), the food will be good for up to a year.

And if you're not sure about the potato dish? (I've not had much luck freezing ordinary potatoes: they get mushy. But my potato soup keeps beautifully in the freezer.) Make a small portion or your sweet potato dish and freeze it (or leftovers): see how it tastes after you've thawed it.

Cheers,

Rose Anne