Browsing: Freezing Meat

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Freezing Meat

Meat of all types can be frozen for later use, but there are some considerations to keep in mind. This is a guide about freezing meat.

A frozen piece of meat.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 14, 2009 Flag

This is a tip for easy storing and thawing of ground beef, turkey, chicken, or bulk sausage. Divide into 1 lb. portions and place each lb. in a gallon zip lock bag. With the bag zipped closed, flatten by hand or roll meat flat with a rolling pin. The thinner the better! Now the bags can be stored in the freezer stacked flat. They take up much less room. When ready to use, the meat thaws in 15-20 minutes. This works well for dough too. With veggies, spread them out in the bag before freezing.

July 9, 2006 Flag
Freezing Meat

Selecting High-Quality Meats:

Select fresh, high quality meats from a reputable butcher, meat packer or grocery store. Cured meats such as ham and bacon can only be frozen for a short period of time (1 to 3 months) because the salt in them hastens rancidity. Organ meats, like liver, tongue, heart, etc., may lose some of their texture during freezing. freezing guide

Preparing for Freezing:

Package meat in convenient, meal-size portions and remove as many bones as possible to save freezer space. Place two layers of freezer paper or wrap between slices or patties of meat so they are easier to separate when frozen and speed thawing. Large game like deer and moose can be frozen the same way as other meats. Small game should be skinned and dressed appropriately before freezing.

Suitable Packaging:

Package the meat in freezer paper or wrap, using either the drugstore or butcher wrap. Freezer bags or containers can be used for ground beef, stew beef or other meats frozen in small portions. Store-bought meats need to be wrapped with additional protection. The clear packaging they normally come packaged in does not provide sufficient moisture-vapor resistant protection for freezing. Meats from a meat packer should come in heavy-duty wrapping, but double check to make sure. If it does, it will not require additional wrapping. Make sure the wrapping is sealed tightly and labeled.

Maximum Storage Time:

If possible, meat should be left in its original packaging when frozen and wrapped again in vapor resistant heavyweight plastic wrap, foil, freezer paper or freezer-grade plastic bags.

Meat TypeRefrigeratorFreezer (0ºF)
Bacon2 weeks1 month
Corned Beef5 to 7 days1 to 2 months
Canned Meat3 to 4 days*3 to 4 months
Chops, Pork & Lamb3 to 5 days4 to 8 months
Cooked Meat2 to 3 days2 to 3 months
Frankfurters3 to 5 days*1 to 2 months
Ground Meats & Stew Meat1 to 2 days3 to 4 months
Ham, Canned1 week*3 to 4 months
Ham, Fully Cooked2 weeks3 to 4 months
Lunch Meat3-5 days*1 month
Pickled Meats (vinegar)2 weeks*
Roasts, Beef, Bison & Pork3 to 5 days9 to 12 months
Sausage (fresh)1 to 2 days1 to 2 months
Sausage, Breakfast Patties/Links1 week2 months
Sausage, Smoked1 week1 to 2 months
Sausage, Summer2 to 3 weeks*6 months
Small Game (rabbits, squirrels, etc.)2 days9 to 12 months
Steaks, Beef & Bison3 to 5 days6 to 12 months
Tofu4 to 5 days6 to 8 weeks
Variety Meats1 to 2 days3 to 4 months
Veal1 to 2 days4 to 6 months
Venison (ground)1 to 2 days2 to 3 months
Venison (steaks, roasts)3 to 5 days9 to 12 months

* opened

Thawing:

All meats should be thawed in their packaging in the refrigerator. For microwave defrosting, remove packaging and refer to your manufacturers recommendations for settings. If meat is in a waterproof package and you need it quickly, run it under cold water or submerge it in a cold water bath for faster thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Freezing tends to damage the texture of organ meats like live, heart, brains, tongue, and kidneys. If freezing these meats is necessary, trim all excess fat, wrap in an airtight package and freeze as rapidly as possible.

Refrigerating Meat:

Ideally, meat should be stored in its original package. Once it has been opened, it is necessary to rewrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil, or pack it in an airtight container.

June 29, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze deli meats like bologna, ham, roast beef and sliced cheese? Thanks.

By Pamela

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do. The cheese gets more fragile, crumbles more easily after freezing. The meat tastes about the same. Just bag it well to keep the air out.

Yes and most cheese freezes beautifully. I buy a two pound loaf of sliced sheese and freeze it in two inch stacks. The important thing to remember about lunch meat is to freeze it in packs no larger than you can eat in a few days.

ya you can I do it and when you want to use one just take it out the day before and let it thaw and you can use it the next day!

Freezing cheese cuts down on the flavor slightly but I still do it.

August 4, 2005 Flag

We like to marinate meats for the grill, but we usually forget to thaw and marinate it ahead of time. So now when I shop and buy steak tips or what ever type of meat I am going to marinate, I will buy three or four meals worth and then freeze the meats right in the zipper bag with marinade. All I have to do now is remember to thaw it. I only use this with my homemade marinades, I am not sure how this would work with pre-mixed store bought types.

By Gardencraft

September 4, 2004 Flag

When I purchase family packs of meat I individually wrap 1 meal servings in plastic wrap and then in TinFoil (shiny side out). I have never had freezer burned food.

Katz from Alberta

June 9, 2013 Flag

Super simple way I save time and money. I buy meats on sale; ground beef, chops and even poultry in larger packages, since it is usually cheaper in larger amounts. I don't have the time nor do I want to pay to rewrap everything in smaller or single serving sizes.

July 8, 2008 Flag

Wrap all meat products well before you freeze them. This prevents flavor changes and drying of the meat. Heavy duty foil and coated freezer paper are excellent barriers to both air and moisture.

Food and Recipes Freezing MeatJanuary 16, 2013
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
freezing leeks
Freezing Leeks
Freezing Artichokes, Storing Artichokes, Canning Artichokes
Freezing Artichokes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:01:22 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.