Freezing Mushrooms

Category Freezing
Freezing Mushrooms
If you have more mushrooms than you can use up right away, don't let them go to waste, freeze them so they are ready for your next mushroom dish. This is a guide about freezing mushrooms.

It's getting to be seafood boiling season and that means getting ready with your ingredients. With the stores stating to have mushrooms on sale (that is a necessity for your boil), can I freeze mushrooms? How long can they be frozen for?

By Ann from Poplarville, MS

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I took some frozen stuffed mushrooms out of the freezer the other day and baked them in the oven and they ended up in the wastebasket. They were soft and slimey. I think they are best used fresh.

Anonymous

For what you're going to use them for, yes, you can. Here are two choices:

Freezing Raw (Freeze whole, for use within 3 months) :

Choose very fresh mushrooms; wipe with a clean cloth to remove dirt. Place each a little apart on a baking tray and open-freeze as quickly as possible. When mushrooms are frozen, pack into containers, fit on a lid and replace in freezer. Use within 3 months. Use straight from the freezer for pies, casseroles or stews or thaw for about 1 hour and use as required.

Freezing, Par-boiled:

Wash raw mushrooms. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 quart rapidly boiling water. To keep mushrooms white, add 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to water. Add mushrooms. Let water come to a boil again. Boil mushrooms 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly. Seal in plastic bags. Freeze. Will keep about one year.

Yes you can. I do it all the time. I do not wash the msuchrooms first. Instead I shake or brush them off and lay them on a cutting board to freeze. After they are frozen I put them in freezer bags. When I am ready to use them I wash them off. They will be soft and dark when they thaw but that will happen when you cook them anyway.

For what we use them for, I clean them and fry them in a little bit of olive oil and butter, along with onions and/or garlic, cool, and freeze in a freezer-baggie.

It's much better to dehydrate mushrooms for storage. I think it improves the flavor of them for many dishes. You can rehydrate them by saoking in warm water for about 15 minutes, or just adding to your dish with a bit extra liquid. Anne

I bought a gallon can of mushrooms like you use on pizza. As I started to open them, I thought, can I freeze the rest of these? Can anybody tell me if I can and how?

I have yet to find anybody that knows and why was I so silly to buy so many. They were not expensive. Please help me if you can, I am going to have to open them soon to put some on a pizza I am making for a party.

By Julia

I freeze mushrooms all of the time. Place any leftovers that you have into individual use bags, or containers. Remember to label your container with contents and the date you freeze.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I also buy mushrooms by the gallon and freeze them, but I had trouble with freezer burn. So I now freeze them in half pint jelly jars. I fill the jars about 3/4 full (leaving room for expansion as they freeze. Pour enough liquid over them to cover. Pop them in the freezer. When I need mushrooms, I thaw them in the jar, either by setting it in hot water, or removing the lid and warming them in the microwave. Just an extra tip....you can buy sliced ripe olives by the gallon. Transfer them to quart jars...including the liquid. You don't have to freeze them. Just store in the fridge, and use as needed. I know they will keep for several months. I have never had any spoil before I could use them up. I use them on Pizzas and in salads.

I have not frozen canned mushrooms, but I have fresh ones all the time. I like to buy the large box of fresh, after I have used what I want, I slice the what is left thin and fry until the liquid is gone, put in a zip lock bag & freeze. When I need some I just measure out the amount and include them in my recipe. Always comes out perfect. I can't see why this wouldn't work with the canned ones.

Can you freeze mushrooms?

By Donna

I freeze mushrooms. slice them lay flat on a plate put a plastic sheet over then another layer of plastic and so on till you have used them all put in freezer. When frozen put in bags to seal by doing this they will not be stuck together. use in stir fry, soups, pizza stews. No good for salads etc because when they thaw they go mushy, the flavour is just the same. Freeze whole mushrooms as well.

Can you freeze fresh mushrooms and cooked ones?

By Anna w.

I wash, slice, and add a little oil and vinegar to retain the color and saute for few minutes cool and store in an airtight container and freeze.

Can fresh, store bought mushrooms be blanched and frozen?

By Vanessa

Can you freeze fresh mushrooms?

By Robin

Can fresh mushrooms be frozen?

By Carlos from Saginaw, MI

Answers:

Freezing Mushrooms

Yes, they freeze well. I slice them then lay them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer. When they are frozen I put them in Ziploc bags. They are ready to take out when I need them. I do not thaw them before I cook them. Enjoy! (08/25/2010)

By chrissy1313

Freezing Mushrooms

You can do as chrissy suggested and here are three other ways:
http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/freezing-mushrooms.html

Be sure to wash and pat the mushrooms dry before cooking or freezing. (08/25/2010)

By Deeli

Freezing Mushrooms

I like to saute sliced mushrooms in butter then fill snack zip top bags. Then I gather all my snack bags full of sauteed mushrooms and put then in a larger freezer zip top bag, label, and freeze. When a recipe calls for a can of slice mushrooms, I use one snack bag of frozen mushrooms. This works well when you find a great sale on mushrooms. (08/25/2010)

By piki viki

Can you freeze fresh mushrooms?

By Wendy

Answers:

Freezing Mushrooms

Yes, but it's best to cook them first. Slice or quarter and saute in a pan with a little oil or butter. I add sliced onion while cooking the mushrooms. Let it cool off and then freeze in containers or plastic freezer bags. (07/02/2010)

By OliveOyl

Freezing Mushrooms

They get kind of rubbery. (07/02/2010)

By T&T Grandma

I have 2 packages of white mushrooms and I would like to know how to freeze them.

By Sylvia from Boynton Beach, FL

Answers:

Freezing Mushrooms

I have froze mushrooms for years. I do not wash them first. Just put them in the freezer in a plastic bag. They will not stick together if they are dry. Then take out what you want and wash them. They will be soft and dark so you can only use them for cooking, but the flavor is not impaired. (04/13/2010)

By Ann

Wipe and slice mushroom. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 2 cups of cold water. Add mushrooms, and let stand for 5 minutes. Discard and saute' in oil or butter, or steam in a veggie steamer. Cool and freeze. The color doesn't change.

By Dorty from SA

By Ellen Brown

Selecting High-Quality Mushrooms:

Choose mushrooms that are free from spots and decay. It's best to purchase commercially grown mushrooms. You can also collect your own, but unless you're a mushroom expert, do so under the supervision of an experienced expert to be 100% certain they are nontoxic.

Preparing for Freezing:

Sort according to size. Wash thoroughly in cold water and pat dry. Cut off ends of stems. Leave them whole or if mushrooms are larger than 1 inch across, you may want to slice them or cut them into quarters.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Dry Pack:

Pre-treat by blanching sliced mushrooms (1 pound at a time) for 3 minutes, or 5 minutes if whole. Cool promptly and drain. Transfer into suitable containers. Date, label and freeze.

Tray Pack:

Place clean mushrooms in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Tray-freeze until firm. Once firm, transfer mushrooms to freezer bags or other suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze. The mushrooms will develop a rubbery texture freezing this way, but will still be suitable to use when cooking.

Steaming:

Before steaming, pre-treat mushrooms for 5 minutes by dipping them into an anti-darkening agent consisting of 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or 1 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid to a pint of water. After pre-treatment, steam whole mushrooms 5 minutes (buttons or quarter for 3 1/2 minutes; sliced for 3 minutes). Cool promptly and drain. Package leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Frying/Sautéing:

Heat small amounts of mushrooms in butter in an uncovered frying pan. When almost done, set pan in a bath of cold water to cool, or remove mushrooms from pan and let them cool and room temperature. Pack in suitable containers leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing mushrooms includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Add frozen mushrooms directly into dishes while cooking.

Refrigerating Mushrooms:

Place mushrooms in an open paper bags and store in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.