Freezing Onions

Can you freeze onions or will they last chopped in a container in the refrigerator for a week?

By Linda from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Freezing Onions

I always chop up two onions and put 1/2 cup at a time in baggies, then put them in a ziploc type container and freeze them. I do the same with green and red peppers. (11/21/2009)

By redhatterb

Freezing Onions

I chop them, lay them on a cookie sheet, and put the cookie sheet in the freezer. Once they're frozen, I transfer them to a zip-top bag and store them in the freezer (sometimes I use canning jars with plastic lids. I'm not sure how long they'd last, but I've kept them for a few months in there. I do the same with celery and bell peppers. (11/21/2009)

By tsiegl

Freezing Onions

When I used the frozen onions they are always soggy so I don't know if there is a way round that - anyone know? (11/22/2009)

By Angie

Freezing Onions

tiesgl definitely freezes them correctly and, yes, they will be okay chopped in the refrigerator for up to a week fresh but not for a week after freezing. (11/23/2009)

By Deeli

Freezing Onions

I am a big fan of Food Network ,esp. Alton brown he explains the chemical aspect of a lot of cooking; why something does or does not work. Onions have a lot of water in them by nature. You need to have anything that you freeze to be as dry as possible.

Alton used a pan to spread his veggies on and placed in the fridge to dry. Once dry they were placed in freezer bags with as much air removed as possible. He used a straw to suck out the air, I don't know.

11/24/2009)

By nunley10

Freezing Onions

Yes you can freeze onions. When I make spaghetti sauce, I chop fine one whole onion in the food processor. I use about half and put the rest in a sandwich bag and throw it in the freezer. When I make spaghetti sauce again I have onions already chopped and they thaw in the hot sauce. (11/24/2009)

By kittykat58

Freezing Onions

I always chop one whole onion and store them in a plastic container in the fridge. They stay good for a week! (11/24/2009)

By jackie.mantel

an onion before freezing
Freezing Onions
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎉
🎄