Freezing Onions

I buy onion in 5 pounds or more. I prep all the onions at the same time to avoid wasting any of it. I peel them, quarter them, then toss into my blender to puree them. I use the Ziploc snack size bags to measure out what one small/medium onion would be. You will have to test the size you want your standard measure to be. I do this with all my onion then lay flat in the freezer. Once frozen, I put all the small bags into one large bag for long term freezing. I have many recipes that use onion, a lot calling for finely chopped/minced. Pureed fits the bill perfectly. It can be put into recipes undetected. My non-onion eaters do not object if they can't see the onion.

If you use this method, you do not waste any of the currently expensive vegetable by using less than the whole onion when the recipe calls for a small amount. I take out the bag, snap off the frozen piece I want (if smaller than what you packaged) whether 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon or more, and toss the rest of the bag back into the freezer.

By T & T Grandma from Benson MN

Answers:

Freezing Onions

With onions and bell peppers, I clean them, dice them and then put them in my trusty Ziploc freezer bags and freeze them. However, on thawing the peppers will become a bit saggy and don't do well for sauteing, but fine for soups, meat loaf, etc., the onions were always OK for me. (06/15/2010)

By Shelyn

Freezing Onions

PS: On the MSU Extention post that onions don't do well freezing due to a change of flavor. Are they aware that frozen onions, chopped and rings are sold in grocery stores and cooked in restaurants and fast foods places? They taste just fine. I have bought them in the past, but not now since I freeze my on. (06/15/2010)

By Shelyn

an onion before freezing
Freezing Onions
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎄