Freezing Potatoes

I was wondering if it is possible to freeze potatoes. Do you have to parboil them, or do any other prep to freeze? I have potatoes that we will not be able to eat before they go bad. I would like to dice them and put them in freezer but need to know how I should go about doing this. Any advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Potato Chips

I peel and cut potatoes into chip lengths, place in a colander and rinse quickly in cold water and dry well on paper towel. I then blanch potato chips in really hot vegetable oil until tender not brown, drain well and cool quickly in the fridge (not freezer as this takes a lot of the moisture out of the potato and makes them sloppy/mushy) on a tray with greaseproof paper underneath. Once cool I then place desired amounts into freezer bags or a container depending on how many I make. Just make sure you remove all of the air from your freezer bag before freezing. Enjoy

By Kerry

Boiled Potatoes

I boil potatoes with the skin on, (right after I clean them) let them cool down, and then wrap in saran wrap, place in plastic freezer bag and freeze. When you need them for baked pots, leave the saran wrap on, put a small hole in it, and give them about 6 minutes in the microwave. Heat longer if you like. They taste just like they were baked in the over for an hour or longer. Enjoy

Pat Watson

Mashed Potatoes

I have only experience freezing mashed potatoes. I add butter or margarine and milk as usual and about 2 heaping tbs. of sour cream. I find the sour cream is the secret, you can;t tell the difference between these and freshly mashed potatoes. I hope this helps.

By Esther

Mashed Potatoes

I just had mashed potatoes that I had frozen from Thanksgiving and they were fine. I put them in the oven with a meatloaf and heated them at the same time. I also microwave them after freezing and results were the same. I did thaw them completely in the fridge before heating.

By CEIL

Twice-Baked Potatoes

I make twice-baked potatoes (scoop out baked potatoes and mix with milk, butter, cheese, etc). I bake them, then wrap each half for freezing. I have not seen much difference in the frozen and fresh prepared. After all, there are frozen twice baked in the grocery store. I do think that reheating them after frozen works best in a hot oven, rather than microwave.

By Dee

Freezing Potatoes

I have frozen my potatoes every year for the past 6 years. The new potatoes work the best. All you have to do is slightly scrub the peel off and then pre boil them until they are almost done. Still firm but not yet done. Then you drain them and lay them out on a dish towel to cool. After they are cool just bag them in zip-locks and throw them in the freezer! To cook them just put them in a pot with water and finish them. You can also cook them in cream and onions at this point instead of water. They taste like they are fresh from the garden!

By cditchuk

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Try freezing mashed potatoes, then when you need them again making potato patties (usually a breakfast food) or to make potato soup. Why waste good mashed potatoes just cause you won't eat all of them right now.

By Anna

Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Sweet potatoes lying on a towel.
Freezing Sweet Potatoes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎉
🎄