Freezing Ricotta Cheese

Category Dairy
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Ricotta cheese is well known as the soft creamy cheese used in dishes such as lasagna, as well as, many desserts. Although ricotta cheese can be frozen there are some factors to keep in mind when doing so. This is a guide about freezing ricotta cheese.

You really shouldn't freeze ricotta, but there are those that will anyway. I know - I did. So if you do, just know that the texture will suffer. Don't freeze it for more than six months. Thaw it in the refrigerator for a day or so. When thawed, there may be some liquid on top, which you should stir back into the cheese.

I have done this and this is what happened to me.

By Shirley from Bradenton, FL

Can this cheese be frozen? If not, how long will it keep in refrigerator?

By PBanks

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I make my own ricotta and freeze it. Freezing changes the texture a bit. It will be grainier and slightly separated. I go ahead and use it in lasagne, but it might not be right for some recipes.

Can you freeze ricotta cheese?

By Joanie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Anonymous

You can but the texture will be different, sort of grainy, but it will still be fine for baked items including lasagna. It's recommended not to freeze for longer than six months.

I was moving into an apt. once and the maintenance guy was swapping out the fridges. He accidently put a small container of green olives and cottage cheese in the freezer.

Imagine my surprise when they thawed and were just as good as when they went in.

I have also frozen sliced onion, toms, and green peppers for two years and they made my spaghetti just fine.

I googled "foods I can freeze" and got a whole bunch of cool links.

http://www.goog  1024&bih=597

This question comes up again and again. Companies that manufacture ricotta seem to only sell it in one size, large, and we almost always have a lot of it left over. Since it's really rather expensive, it hurts to waste it. It can be frozen, but, as mentioned, the texture does suffer because of it.

What I'd like to see is ricotta packaged in smaller amounts so we don't have to deal with this problem. I cannot understand why a smaller container is not available. I stopped buying and using ricotta long ago and substitute cottage cheese in almost every recipe. I simply got sick of the expense and the waste.

I also started making my own ricotta when I really need some. It costs about the same to make as to buy, but tastes 1,000 times better and much fresher! Maybe we should send emails to these companies and ask them to start selling their product in smaller containers. After all, we're the customers and this is what we want. Why not ask? If we speak up they will listen.

I know this thread is a bit old, but if anyone is still paying attention:

I think sizes of container vary by location. I've always lived in very Italian areas and have always been able to get two sizes: Large 8 servings per container and larger which might be 32 servings, but I'm not sure.

Oops, didn't complete my thought: It might be the stores you shop at that you need to communicate to that you want the 8 serving size.

I bought ricotta cheese when I bought it it had a month till it expires. I froze it; so how much time do I have when I take it out of the freezer?

By Valerie