Freezing Squash

Category Vegetables
Freezing Squash
Squash is often in abundance in the home garden. This is a guide about freezing squash.

I specifically want to know how to preserve fresh squash and green beans I do not like what freezing does to them they have no taste when cooked.If any one can help please answer. Thanks.

Squash once it hardens does pretty well just keeping it in a cool, dry place. It will keep for a long time that way. If you choose to freeze green beans it's best if you blanch them first, then lay them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer till they are frozen and bag. They retain the best flavor that way.

- Susan

By guest client (Guest Post)

I have had pretty good sucess with freezing squash by, wasing them good and allow to dry. Then cut them up however you wish. Place in freezer bags and freeze. I do not blanch them as it seems to make them mushy when thawed. I hope this will be some help to you

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to squash. However. I raise improved pinto beans and pick and snap them when they are young and just start to plump. I then blanch them, let them dry a little, freeze them on cookie sheets and package them in vaccum seal bags. They have been delicious three years later, cooked with smoked pork bits, onions and seasoning. Hope this helps.

thank u for the information on squash. freezing squash it was really helpful.but would like to know if u just use freezer bags or the vaccuum pack bags

I would to freeze fresh summer squash and green beans

WHAT DOES BLANCH MEAN

My neighbor sliced her squash, dipped it in flour , layed it out in single pieces on a large tray , put in to the freezer until frozen then into ziplock bags for ever how many you wish to fry at a time. It works!

Keep in mind no way tastes like fresh picked and cooked immediately.

Almost every method of freezing summer squash says to blanch it. My wife (she grew up on a farm) ignores this advice. She washes it, slices it, and puts it in zip-close freezer bags. Nothing more. Saves energy and doesn't unnecessarily heat up the kitchen. My guess is that blanching the squash is what takes the flavor out of it. Ours is always tasty just as if it had come straight out of the garden.

what if you just freeze fresh green beans without blanching first. Will they be ok?

What if you don't blanch the squash first? We have our first garden and we didn't know it had to be blanched before freezing and we have just been washing it, cutting it up, and freezing it. Will it still be edible?? :-(

Thank you

I tried freezing yellow squash a new way. I sliced and spread in a single layer in microwave and cooked for 45 seconds. Remove and cool. Place in freezer on cookie sheet in single layer until frozen - then bag. This way you can take out the amount you want to cook.

I do not freeze green beans. I can them in the pressure cooker.

My friend told me to put sliced squash on a cookie sheet and let heat through. Take the squash out of the oven and immediately put squash and cookie sheet in the freezer. Take out after about 15 minutes an bag the squash. she says the squash are not as soggy. She frys them in winter months.

I make up my squash ahead of time in whatever recipe I am using and just thaw and heat and serve later on.

You don't need to blanch it- they say it is done just to save the flavor.

-check out pick-your-own.org. It will tell you how to do just about any type of preserving.

I cook green beans, and cool completely, then freeze in zip lock bags. Months later they taste fresh from the garden.

Re: freezing green beans, I have been freezing green beans for years. cook them , without any seasoning untill they are completly cooked, cool put in freezer containers,and freeze, When you get ready to eat , put in water with your seasoning, cook untill the water is almost gone, serve. {put just enough water to start them cooking good}

Well I wish I would have found this web site an hour ago. I Would have followed Elaine's directions for freezing squash. (next year) Insted I cut, cleaned, cut into smaller slices and it's now boiling. When cooked I'll rine and put into freezer containers and freeze. Hope it works.

Can yellow squash be frozen to fry later?

By Tina S.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Can I freeze squash raw?

By Robert

How do I freeze squash?

By Thelma

How do you freeze squash so that it can be battered and fried later?

By Darlene from Laurel, MS

Answer Was this helpful? 1

For freezing, I just cut it in slices, lay it on baking sheets, cover it with foil and let it freeze. After frozen, I put it in zip lock freezer bags. No blanching needed!

Go ahead and fry your squash and then drain and freeze. We especially like the sliced squash done this way. You can also cook okra ahead of time and then freeze.

How do you freeze fresh zuchinni and summer squash?

By Sharon M.

How do you blanch squash for freezing to be used later?

By Glenn from Grand Prairie, TX

Can you freeze squash?

By Clevie H from Ft. Worth, TX

How do I freeze squash?

By Shirley from Magna, UT

How do you freeze fresh yellow squash?

By carrottopp88 from Millerton, NY

Slice and batter if desired, lay on a cookie sheet and freeze, then place in baggies in freezer to store.

How do I freeze fresh squash? Do I need to blanch it first?

By Linda W.

How do I freeze squash to fry later?

By Jeanne from Holly Springs, MS

Can you freeze fresh yellow squash and zucchini?

By 39470 from poplarville,ms

Answers:

Freezing Yellow Squash

You can freeze it but it will be mushy when you unthaw it. (04/20/2009)

By ivorylov

Freezing Yellow Squash

I have never had luck freezing them. (04/22/2009)

By mulberry204

Freezing Yellow Squash

I freeze zucchini for zucchini bread, cakes etc. I shred it with my food processor, measure it into 2 cups (which is what my recipe calls for) and place in freezer bag, squeeze out the extra air. Upon thawing, I put it (frozen zucchini)into a colander, let the extra water drain, give it an extra squeeze and then continue with recipe. This works out great!! As for yellow squash - don't know - our family doesn't prefer. Hope this helped (04/22/2009)

By batmenj_5

Freezing Yellow Squash

If you want to freeze squash or zucchini it is best to prepare them the way you would eat them then freeze them. I do this every year and have no problem, but if you freeze them without cooking them it does not turn out well. Always cook them first! (04/22/2009)

By hawkeye197033

Freezing Yellow Squash

I do like hawkeye, cook it first but I've found that I must really just get it warm, not throughly cooked because when it thaws, if it's fully cooked it will be mushy. Just thaw and finish cooking for a couple of minutes. (04/22/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Freezing Yellow Squash

Last year I sliced my yellow squash and then layed in layers of wax paper, then froze, then I would vacum seal in what ever size you want. I always fry mine, so I get everything ready before ,then dip and roll. deep fry while frozen, not as good as fresh but still has good flavor. (04/22/2009)

By chinadoll1957

Freezing Yellow Squash

I always bake my yellow winter squash before freezing. No thawing problems. Zuchini I shred and then freeze. Thaw in fridge, drain off the fluid before using. This is juice, which is mostly water, so unless you are making soup, discard. (04/24/2009)

By TandT Grandma

Freezing Yellow Squash

You can freeze yellow squash, if you cut them and blanch them in water this does not turn out well but if you blanch then in oil (fry) for just a bit about 30 sec per side they retain there flavor. The thawed product is much better this way and have a more attractive look. Since squash is mostly water anyway the blanching in water method will yield a poor product when you go to cook them. Those blanched in oil can be stewed or used in a casserole without any problem with good results. (06/22/2009)

By willyburgs

Looking ahead to the end-of-summer bounty of winter squashes, here's an easy way to store squash that will be immediately ready for soups, casseroles and appetizer dips.

Preheat oven to 475. Cut in half lengthwise (or in chunks for monsters like Hubbard squash). Spray with cooking spray the cut portion that will be in contact with a large, lipped baking pan.

Bake for an hour, cool enough to handle or more, and scoop out seeds and strings. Scoop out flesh into a food processor. Puree squash, place in gallon sized freezer bags, measuring amount if you choose. Squeeze out excess air, then gently flatten. Freeze flat, then stack the squares for winter use. Instant base or thickening for soup or stew- all year long! If you have dogs, SAVE the skins, seeds and extra pulp; zip that in the processor and you have dog candy, which also can be frozen. Or use for extra nutrition to supplement.

Source: A friend showed me the storing idea; the dog food idea comes from a frugal mind and research about dog nutrition!

By NH veggie lover from Thornton, NH

Can someone tell me how to freeze fresh squash? I think you just cut it up and freeze it but not sure. Thanks.

mitch914 from Ingleside, TX

Answers:

Freezing Squash

You can grate zucchini, squeeze out juice, freeze by recipe amounts to use in zucchini bread. Or go ahead and cook the bread and then freeze. It freezes very well. Also, either yellow or zucchini frozen this way can be used in patties/pancakes. I find freezing sliced squash is kind of rubbery but freezing the cooked squash is better. (05/07/2008)

By Frances

Freezing Squash

Indeed blanch. Cut the squash up into rounds. Boil water, then put squash in for 5 minutes. drain and cool to room temperature. Then put it into a zip lock frozen baggie. I probably wouldn't salt ahead because salt takes the liquid out and you do want them moist. I have a bunch of squash plants growing, its what I intend to do. Sugar would be good to add in the water as Grammer said. (05/07/2008)

By Daphna101

Freezing Squash

If you put your blanched squash pieces on a cookie sheet and freeze them they will be individually frozen and you can take out as much as you want without having to thaw the whole bag. (05/07/2008)

By Ashley

Freezing Squash

Cut your squash to desired sizes. Lay evenly on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for an hour. Once they are frozen. then transfer to your freezer bags for future use. This works for breaded or non breaded squash. (05/08/2008)

By jules1963

Freezing Squash

I want to know how to bread squash and then freeze it for frying. (06/15/2008)

By navajo

I would like to know how to prepare fresh squash for freezing?

Ms Janette

Answers:

Freezing Squash

You have to blanch it first, wash it, cut it up and blanch it. Then freeze it. (07/23/2005)

By Egail2656

Freezing Squash

Cook your squash like normal like you were going to eat it. I add margarine, pepper, salt and brown sugar while cooking then when its cooked take it from the skin, and put in freezer bags (enough for a meal) and freeze. Then when ready to use, pull it out of freezer (I found it easier to take out of bag while frozen) and heat in frying pan and enjoy. I was told this last year and tried it and it tastes just like fresh squash. Yummy!! (07/23/2005)

By grammar