Freezing Summer Squash

What is the best way to freeze yellow summer squash?

Murray from Westbrook, Maine

Answers:

Freezing Summer Squash

The only way I've ever done it is to cook it with a bunch of onion chopped in large hunks, cook until done, drain and drain and drain and then mash with lots of butter or margarine and salt and pepper, and then freeze it in plastic freezer cartons. I have never had enough to freeze for fried or whatever, and this is the only other way we like it. (08/08/2006)

By Linda in Missouri

Freezing Summer Squash

I got this advice from a friend of mine who puts up lots of veggies for the winter. I have put the yellow squash in my freezer according to her instructions, but have not actually taken any out and cooked it. She says they will keep 3 or 4 months with this procedure.

Wash the squash and dry. Do not peel. Prepare brown paper lunch bags by slipping them one inside the next until you have about 4 layers, then slice the squash and place them in the inner bag. Fold the tops down a couple folds and staple the bag shut. She has been doing this for a long time with large amounts of both yellow and zucchini squash, so I trust her that this works. (08/08/2006)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Freezing Summer Squash

I simply wash the squash with cold water and then slice to the thickness I want to use. I then freeze them in Ziploc bags. You can also lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze, then put in the Ziploc bag or other freezer container. If I am using zucchini, etc for bread or cake recipes, I shred it and pre measure it before freezing it. (08/09/2006)

By hvnlyhills

Freezing Summer Squash

I dice, saute with garlic and onions (and zucchini if I have it). I then freeze and use with diced tomatoes as a delicious tomato sauce. I serve it with grilled chicken. Even the kids eat it! Yum. (08/12/2006)

By Diana

Freezing Summer Squash

I wash and slice about an inch thick, zap in the micro for one minute only. Dunk in ice water and then drain. I pack with cherry tomatoes, halved in quart bags and freeze. To cook, I put one T of oil and I T of butter in a pan. I add 1 tsp chopped garlic from a jar, some Italian herbs, and the veggies. Drain out the water as it oozes out of the veggies, but set it aside. As the veggies cook, they'll need more water. I add it back in a bit at a time until I've added back all the water. When cooked and no water is left, I sprinkle some shredded Parmesan on top and that's it! (11/09/2008)

Freezing Summer Squash

With zucchini I will puree in a food processor, freeze in muffin tins, put in Ziploc gallon bags and add to soups later. I also do this with squash like acorn and butternut in the fall. (07/31/2009)

By lsgardengal

Freezing Summer Squash
Canning Summer Squash and Zucchini
Canning Summer Squash and Zucchini
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
basket of sweet potato squash
Growing Sweet Potato Squash (Delicata Squash)
summer squash
Drying Squash
🎉
🎄