Freezing Tomatoes

My husband and I have a garden this year. We always have too many tomatoes to eat before they spoil. I don't really have the money to can them, but how would I go about freezing them to use in recipes throughout the year?

Danielle from LaFayette, GA

Freezing Tomatoes

I froze my excess tomatoes in two ways this year. First I gently tossed some squash, zucchini and eggplant in oil then added tomatoes and cooked until soft and froze this in side dish size quantities. It defrosts quite mushy but very delicious and it can be cooked until less mushy. The rest I skinned and cooked until the consistency of cooking sauce and froze that. I use that as a pizza topping or to make spaghetti or lasagna. I do not season these until ready to use. (05/08/2006)

By alinci

Freezing Tomatoes

Wash, then put them into boiling water, (I use a metal dishpan with boiling water on the stove.), I don't like freezing them with their skins on. I put them in the hot boiled water, then the skin will peal off in a few minutes. Then fish them out, and put in bowl to cool. From here, I either cut them up, and freeze them for soups later. Or, freeze them whole. Or, you can run them through a grinder and juice them up before freezing them. Use the best zip lock freezer bags. Because it can be messy. But, the results through out the rest of the year using them in your soups, meatloafs, chili, spaghetti sauce, so many possibilities. Good luck. (05/08/2006)

By Glinda

Blanching and Removing the Skins

I freeze my tomatoes by blanching and removing the skins then I chunk them up and put in freezer bags with some diced green peppers and diced onions...They are ready then to drop into a pot and make whatever kind of sauce you want....I have been doing this for years especially when I had 3 teenage sons at home..... (05/08/2006)

By dameemag

Freezing Tomatoes

We frequently have the same problem. It is easy to solve if you have freezer room. Wash and dry the tomatoes, put them into a plastic bag, (I use plastic grocery bags), and put them into freezer. That's all! These can be used in stews, tomato sauces, (spaghetti, etc), soups, chili. Just put into hot ingredients, break up tomato as it cooks. I am a 'by the seat of your pants' cook, so I can't give measurements. If you have cooked for six months, you will know how much to use. If you do want to pre-thaw before adding to cooking pot, place into a dish so any juice lost in thawing can be captured and used. Have fun, and enjoy your garden all winter. (05/09/2006)

By Camilla

2 ideas

• I blanch tomatoes and remove skin and seeds, quarter and freeze in gallon zip lock bags--replaces a large can of tomatoes

• Same as above but then add to sauteed zucchini, squash, onions and garlic. Freeze. When ready to use add 1 can tomato sauce (8 or 15 oz as you like thickness) serve with grilled chicken breast and pasta! YUM makes a great summer style dish in the winter and is GOOD for you too (05/09/2006)

By Diana

Freeze Whole

I wash them and dry them then put in zip lock bags and freeze whole. When using in soups, stews and pasta sauce as soon as they hit the hot broth I remove them to take of the skin easily. Works great. Use all winter long. (05/11/2006)

By Connie

Removing Skins

I pour boiling water over them to help remove the skins. Then dice and put in quart micro safe container. Microwave on hi for 5 mins. freeze in quart zip lock bags. Lay in freezer to save room. They are ready to put in soups or stews or casseroles. I find that the 5 minute micro time keeps them from separating when frozen. (05/11/2006)

By WIsgal

Freezing Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants